PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove scratches from Side view mirror?

snellvilleauto
06-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I tried M105, Menzema IS1500, D151 by hand and Flex rotary but non work. Suggestion?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5280/7366441598_67eb6be42f_z.jpg

HDDetail
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
i got some off with ultimate compound with orange pad no problem. Maybe the scratches are too deep? Wet sand then compound and polish?

snellvilleauto
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
i got some off with ultimate compound with orange pad no problem. Maybe the scratches are too deep? Wet sand then compound and polish?

For got to mention i did use UC. The scratches aren't that deep. Some i can feel w/ my fingernail, most i can not. I'll try wetsand it then. Any other suggestion?

ScubaCougr
06-14-2012, 07:51 PM
If you can feel them with your fingertip, or see white/gray primer beneath like several I see in your photo, probably way too deep for polishing because you're deeper than the color-coat into primer.

You can consider Dr. Colorchip to make them less noticeable. Or perhaps get an aerosol color-matched can, bondo and repaint.

Unfortunately side mirrors take a lot of abuse. You're in good company.

IID
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
To the OP:
Are you referring to the "Mirror" itself?

snellvilleauto
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
To the OP:
Are you referring to the "Mirror" itself?

Yes, it's the mirror itself

CEE DOG
06-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I've seen Scott (killrwheels) mention using Novus plastic polish on them. I have used Novus to great success by hand on interior clear plastic of console but never tried it on that mirror coating material. It's pretty cheap from amazon. A one, two, three step formula. Maybe PM Scott and see if he still recommends it as it was 2007 that he made mention of it's use for this application.

Rsurfer
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
You used 105 on a mirror and a rotary? I would think that it would add more scratches. Maybe Ceri Glass..Dunno.
Yes, it's the mirror itself

snellvilleauto
06-14-2012, 10:18 PM
I've seen Scott (killrwheels) mention using Novus plastic polish on them. I have used Novus to great success by hand on interior clear plastic of console but never tried it on that mirror coating material. It's pretty cheap from amazon. A one, two, three step formula. Maybe PM Scott and see if he still recommends it as it was 2007 that he made mention of it's use for this application.
Thanks Corey for the tip.

You used 105 on a mirror and a rotary? I would think that it would add more scratches. Maybe Ceri Glass..Dunno.

Yes, 105 and rotary but it didn't do anything to the mirror. It did not add any more scratches to it. This mirror coat is hard.

CEE DOG
06-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Ahhh, so if it's that hard i doubt the Novus would work. Maybe Ceriglass. I haven't used it on mirrors but will look into an answer on that if someone with direct knowledge of its use in this application doesn't reply to you. Those scratches do look awful deep though.

snellvilleauto
06-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Ahhh, so if it's that hard i doubt the Novus would work. Maybe Ceriglass. I haven't used it on mirrors but will look into an answer on that if someone with direct knowledge of its use in this application doesn't reply to you. Those scratches do look awful deep though.

They're deep and very noticeable in certain angle. I don't know what i did to it. Probably from living up north and winter salt/sand got to it and i probably use paper towel to try to clean it :) All before i learned about AG :)