PDA

View Full Version : My washing process - why do I get water spots?

Pages : [1] 2

Mc'lovin
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi all,

After washing my car yesterday, I noticed a few water spots on the roof and on the hood today. I was a little surprised because I dry my car immediately when I'm finished with the washing process, and so I wanted to share my process and ask if I am doing anything wrong:

I first spray the car with ONR (diluted 1 oz. per quart) in order to soften and lift the dirt, then use my pressure washer (which is relatively weak - only 1450 PSI) to rinse the car - This pretty much takes 90-98% of the dirt off. I then apply the two bucket method, starting from the roof downwards, when my washing mitt stays perfectly clean most of the time (I still clean it in the rinse bucket after each panel)

Since it is starting to get rather hot, I rinse the soap off some panels before getting to wash others (for example, rinse the roof, hood & windows before washing the doors and front & rear bumpers).

When I am completely finished, I dry the whole car with a drying towel (ultimate guzzler). I then follow with applying V7.

I thought to myself - maybe after I rinse the soap off a panel I should immediately dry it? Maybe that's where the problem lies? What do you think?

Regarding the water spots - I removed them using a QD.

Thanks!

Detail_Dude
06-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I think perhaps the key is not to let a panel air dry - blot it with a towel right after rinsing on really hot days. Alternatively, keep re-wetting already washed sections while moving on to others, then dry at the end.

Did you spray the panel directly with V7 or did you spray the MF then wipe? If you hit the panel directly, are you certain the spots are from water and not left over/non-wiped V7?

craz0boy
06-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Here where I live temperatures can get up in the 100s. I use the wash & rinse panel by panel method in extreme heat when shade is not available. Also drying immediately as soon as you rinse big plus instead of going back and re- wetting the vehicle over and over.
I detailed this charger yesterday in full on sun using the method I just mention and still had like 5 water spots come out on the hood. Other than that spot free but still doesn't hurt to have some water spot remover on hand :D
http://img.tapatalk.com/616aeb20-0470-7aa5.jpg

Sunshyne
06-13-2012, 04:41 PM
like its been stated, panel by panel is the best bet especially in hard water areas.

good luck

Infinitiman
06-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Here is a little something I do this will prevent water spots:

When working in the full sun no shade you will need to work in small areas,I would recommend washing 1/2 of the roof, windshield , and back glass, then rinse. then 1/2 of the hood and trunk, rinse. Then passenger side ( or whichever side you started on) glass and door panels, rinse , front and back fender panels, rinse, then the entire front grill and bumper, rinse. And lastly back bumper, rinse. Then wash the other half of the car. After washing and rinsing each section you will want to go back and rinse off areas already completed, this will use more water but it will prevent water spots. If you are doing a maintenance wash, during the drying I would also recommend mist a QD on the towel or panel to act as lubricant to prevent micro marring. This might leave a little haze due to the QD but a soft plush buffing microfiber will buff that right off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BobbyG
06-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I was I like everyone here start at the top and work my way down. It's no surprise that this method is preferable because something called gravity to comes into play.

Washing and rinsing panel by panel or a section at a time is the smart way to keep soap from drying on the finish requiring a rewash to remove. I can't remember the last time I washed the entire vehicle then rinse...

Water spots are the result of water evaporating leaving mineral deposits, dust, pollen, and anything else the water droplet attracted while in a fluid state...

In the shade with finish at air temperature.

Thoroughly wet car
Wash the roof, front & back windows and side windows
Rinse thoroughly
Wash the entire nose and doors of the vehicle
Rinse thoroughly
Wash the trunk, rear quarters and back of the vehicle
Rinse thoroughly
Dry vehicle from the top down

There are several ways to dry a vehicle however I prefer an electric leaf blower. Leaf blowers provide a concentrated stream of clean high speed air literally blowing the beads of clean water from the finsh.

Cobra guzzles do a great job at drying the finish. They're soft and very absorbent. While I always use a leaf blower to dry the vehicle you'll always find a Guzzler towel over my shoulder for those spots I may have missed...

chris.ganucheau
06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
i like using the hybrid v7 when the car is still a little wet, kinda to help dry it an prevent water spots.... just my method

TornadoRed
06-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Stolen from BobbyG

Thoroughly wet car
Wash the roof, front & back windows and side windows
Thoroughly wet car
Wash the entire nose and doors of the vehicle
Thoroughly wet car
Wash the trunk, rear quarters and back of the vehicle
Thoroughly wet car
Flood rinse
Dry vehicle from the top down

Keep it wet.

mleun481
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I do a final rinse with distilled water. I use about 3 gallons to do an SUV - then dry with a master blaster.

ScottB
06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Perhaps a CrSpotless system would be a choice or at least a water system to pull out the minerals that are perhaps leaving the spots.

swanicyouth
06-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I tried washing then drying each panel individually, the problem is, it's too hard not to re-wet (at least splash) the panel you just dried and I ended up giving up on doing that. Even keeping the car constantly wet I still get some water spots if it's sunny, especially on glass. I would like a CR Spotless, but the price is just to high fore to justify it, considering you always will have to but cartridges or resin. I'm looking into the other spot free system AG sells that has the smaller single or dual cartridge(s). This system it seems allows you to recharge the cartridges somewhat with salt. Even if I has to recharge them after every wash or two, it looks easy enough to do for a hobbyist. Anyone try this system? How is it?

Vegas Transplant
06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
What do you think?

I don't think that you have a problem, especially since qd removed spots.

I'm willing to bet that your taking upwards of an hour to wash after rinsing off the ONR.

Even if you flood with water and keep it wet as possible, you're trying to outrun the sun, and or temperatures during that hour or so before drying off.

ExpressDetail
06-13-2012, 10:35 PM
I have never experienced water spots. Always use a filter and keeping the car cool and area you are working in cool is key. By doing a panel and drying it allowing it to heat up makes you more acceptable to having water spots.

Vegas Transplant
06-14-2012, 12:19 AM
I have never experienced water spots.

Never ?

Mc'lovin
06-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Everyone!
Thank you so much for your comments, I will definitely try these tips!

I think perhaps the key is not to let a panel air dry - blot it with a towel right after rinsing on really hot days. Alternatively, keep re-wetting already washed sections while moving on to others, then dry at the end.

Did you spray the panel directly with V7 or did you spray the MF then wipe? If you hit the panel directly, are you certain the spots are from water and not left over/non-wiped V7?

I'll try blotting after rinsing a panel next time. Thanks for the tip! When I use v7 I first mist a microfiber towel with it, then spray directly on the paint. I spread it with that towel and I buff off with a dry MF, so I'm pretty sure the spots were not a result of v7 residue.

...Also drying immediately as soon as you rinse big plus instead of going back and re- wetting the vehicle over and over...

I'm thinking the same thing, thanks!jj

like its been stated, panel by panel is the best bet especially in hard water areas.

good luck

Thank you :)

I have never experienced water spots. Always use a filter and keeping the car cool and area you are working in cool is key. By doing a panel and drying it allowing it to heat up makes you more acceptable to having water spots.

I always work in the shade, however I'm guessing the temperature has its own contribution to this issue...