PDA

View Full Version : Opti Clean as LSP prep?

RhetoricMixes
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Im about to order a handful of products from the Optimum line and so far the only thing ive tried from them is their Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer and i really liked it. My main question though is since OOC is supposed to have way more polymers and cleaning agents in it than a regular quik detailer could this be used instead of my usual IPA wipedown? I figured since its supposed to clean very well based on its reviews maybe it would get rid of leftover polish and oils.

bigez
06-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I know some people were doing this, but I can't remember what dillution ratio they were using it at and exactly how??

RhetoricMixes
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
I know some people were doing this, but I can't remember what dillution ratio they were using it at and exactly how??

I was going to use it at the regular 1:3 ratio as recommended.

On a side note i should have mentioned that this will be to remove any leftover residue mainly from Optimum's line of Polish's and compounds.

Jeff120
06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Wouldnt you be going backwards if you used OPT clean in place of IPA? Its going to add a layer of polymers and gloss to the paint. The reason you use IPA is to remove the oils/polymers laid down by polishes so you have a clean surface for your LSP.

RhetoricMixes
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Wouldnt you be going backwards if you used OPT clean in place of IPA? Its going to add a layer of polymers and gloss to the paint. The reason you use IPA is to remove the oils/polymers laid down by polishes so you have a clean surface for your LSP.

I remember reading from one of the reviews that Dr. G said the polymers left behind when using OOC is negligible and it would not interfere when applying a sealant directly afterwards. Lemme see if i can find the link.

Edit: found the link http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/28895-review-optimum-opti-clean-3.html

And copied for those who dont want to click the link:
2A.- Will Opti Clean have any negative affects on looks, durability, or protection if a sealant or wax is applied directly after using it? Context: Someone has washed their car at night and decided to come back to it in the morning to seal. Because of the condensation on their vehicle they decide to wipe it down with Opti Clean before sealing.
2B.- Same question for ONR
2C.- Same question for OID

Based on the chemistry of these products (Opti-Clean, No rinse, Instant Detailer), there should be no bonding issues or affects on the longevity of waxes or sealants when you use these products before or after application of waxes or sealants. The protective film these products leave behind is dissolved and removed by the chemical solvents and abrasives used in waxes or sealants. None of these products contain detergents or solvents to remove waxes or sealants and therefore they only add protection not remove them.

bigez
06-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Can Optimum Power Clean be used as well? And how would you do that? Just spray on and wipe off?

Mobile detail
06-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Ya you can use OPC. Usually what I'll do is spray down the car with some water, then add some OPC and Shampoo in my foamer and spray the car and let it sit. I personally don't like to wipe anything down after I've polished in order to negate any chances of instilling new swirls. After the foam bath I'll blow dry the car. Any spots left, I;'ll hit it with a super soft MF and some OQD. I don't wipe the whole car, just any water spots.

I think you could also spray some on, then do an ONR wash to remove it if you don't have a foamer.

poweraid
06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
a little while back I think , I remember someone asking if ok to mix ipa with either onr or ooc for this same purpose and I'm positive that it was ok . what the ratio was idk . maybe someone can find the thread

Vegas Transplant
06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
i know some people were doing this, but i can't remember what dillution ratio they were using it at and exactly how??

a little while back i think , i remember someone asking if ok to mix ipa with either onr or ooc for this same purpose and i'm positive that it was ok . What the ratio was idk . Maybe someone can find the thread

Chris@Optimum reply/ONR with IPA