PDA

View Full Version : My process needs critiquing

Bigbull2984
06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Well I got some time off of school so every day after 5:00pm I should be free to work on my cars, and my wife is studying for her med school boards so she rather not have me in the house :).. I got some real time to work on the cars now.

If yall can just critique my process or some input, I will only be using what I own.

LSPs: BFWD, BFMS, BFCS, Megs #26 Paste, and Megs 2.0 nxt.

Polish and Compounds: Megs 205, Megs UC , BF GeP, and BF TPnS. And thinking of picking up Megs #6 cleaner wax since Wal-Mart now has it.

Polisher: PC 7424xp and every color of the CCS LC pads.

Do I have to do a traditional wash before doing a detail or will a rinse free with megs d114 be good? Part of me was thinking to wash the cars with dawn and pinnacle body soap so I have a clean surface to start with, all cars will be clayed if needed.

First my wifes CRV, this one is pretty straight forward, one coat of BFWD topped with Megs #26. IF I used megs #6 cleaner wax before the BFWD, will there be any benefits.

Second car my white Acura, I will need to use Megs Ultimate Compound with LC yellow pad, there is tons of correction to do, then ill just to M205 on white pad, then go to BF GEP, and top with BFWD…
Since this is a lot of steps and the LC hydrotech pads finish so nice I was thinking of use the cyan pad with UC and then jump to GeP with white pad then BFWD what are the thoughts on this.

3rd car, my Black Pearl… It has swirls but soft paint. So white pad or orange pad with M205, then BF GeP Or TPnS?, and BFWD let it cure and then 2nd coat of WD and top with MS 6 hours later.

Also between coats of BFWD and cure times, my car gets really dusty, so I was going to take .25 oz of Rinsefree in a 32oz spray bottle to clean it up before applying 2nd coat, this should be fine right?

Also does NXT 2.0 have any cleaning abilities if so can it be applied before BFWD on wife's car or will this be a waste of my time..

Critique or helpful hints to speed the process up?

embolism
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
lots of questions here. I'll take a shot:

CRV: I always like to do at least a paint cleaner before a sealant. Meg's cleaner wax would work but then your BFWD won't bond properly. How about GeP, then BFWD? You won't get much correction but some mild paint cleaning. NXT is a sealant (no cleaning) so I wouldn't put it on before BFWD for reasons stated above. If you wanted to speed things up even more, then use TPnS and call it a day.

Acura your second plan using UC with cyan, then GeP with white sounds like a winner

the third car sounds like your baby. Not sure about cut of GeP vs TPnS but since you are planning to use BFWD, then I'd go with the GeP since it doesn't have a built in sealant.

Bigbull2984
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM

CRV: I always like to do at least a paint cleaner before a sealant. Meg's cleaner wax would work but then your BFWD won't bond properly. How about GeP, then BFWD? You won't get much correction but some mild paint cleaning. NXT is a sealant (no cleaning) so I wouldn't put it on before BFWD for reasons stated above. If you wanted to speed things up even more, then use TPnS and call it a day.

Acura your second plan using UC with cyan, then GeP with white sounds like a winner

the third car sounds like your baby. Not sure about cut of GeP vs TPnS but since you are planning to use BFWD, then I'd go with the GeP since it doesn't have a built in sealant.

Thanks, will BFWD have a issue bonding to M205?

A.P.A.D.
06-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks, will BFWD have a issue bonding to M205?

No! you should completely remove the polish oils with IPA before applying any protection.

In fact the polishing process creates a perfect surface for bonding

Bigbull2984
06-13-2012, 02:23 PM
No! you should completely remove the polish oils with IPA before applying any protection.

In fact the polishing process creates a perfect surface for bonding

Thanks, ok so no issue with BFWD bonding to M205, Dont have IPA, but can I do a rinseless before applying BFWD, I have the Megs D114 Rinse express and it does not have any polymers and gloss boosters.

mwoolfso
06-13-2012, 02:32 PM

There are mild cleaners in NXT 2.0; and I agree NXT applied before BFWD

Bigbull2984
06-14-2012, 07:54 AM
What kind of mix can I do for the IPA. Is it one to one?

A.P.A.D.
06-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I use 17% IPA. Here is step by step instructions on how to mix it. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)