PDA

View Full Version : My first negative review!

Pages : [1] 2 3

AutowerxDetailing
06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I was up late the other night just checking stuff out looking at other detail shops and car wash reviews looking for ideas to help avoid mistakes that other people have made. It seems as if most of the negative reviews other shops had been getting were from people who were upset about scheduling conflicts or the interior was not as clean as they wanted (mostly due to pet hair)...

After all that I looked up my business and was shocked to find a single, negative review. My first review EVER and it's negative! I could hardly sleep the rest of the night. I have never asked any of my clients to leave reviews for me and to my knowledge I have never had a dissatisfied customer (until now apparently).

Here is the review:
"the car pet in my car was still stained." -[anonymous]

I wish I knew who it was so I could call them back and see if I can try something else to clean the pet they keep in their car. I guess in the future I will be more upfront about the services I offer and explicitly note that we do not clean pets left in the vehicle.

TimmyG
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
From a business standpoint, I would mention to your current and new customers that if there is ever any issue with the work you perform to please contact you so it can be resolved in a prompt, professional manner.

Sometimes you're going to have a customer that would rather bash you on the internet rather than make a quick phone call and let you know there are potential problems with the work you've performed. It's all about being up front with people to begin with. If you have a job that you think stains or defects may be unable to be removed, notify them of that from the beginning. This way when the work is completed, there is no second guessing.

My mechanic who works on every vehicle I own always quotes me prices lower than what my actual bill is (Sometimes $100 or more LESS than actual cost). I always tell him to overestimate it and anticipate the worst. He knows I'm not the kind of guy that is going to be mad about having an unexpected part that needs to be replaced. Since I've told him that, he usually quotes my work about $100+ more than it usually costs (Corvette tax...). When the work is done and the bill is paid, I have a good understanding of the work done and leave feeling happy that it didn't cost more than initially quoted.

The best thing you can do here is learn from the negative review and move on.

AutowerxDetailing
06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I agree and thanks for the advice.

Since I have learned about this review I have focused on setting very clear expectations during the initial walk around with the customer, especially for the interior. I have also started sending hand written thank you letters with a business card and a Little Tree "new car scent" air freshener as a token of my appreciation for their business.

I am also considering an email follow up with a link to my Google Places page asking for their feedback. I Haven't pulled the trigger on that yet though.

embolism
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm confused...

I thought it was a joke by the quasi-punchline but then your follow up makes it sound like you were being serious...

AutowerxDetailing
06-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm confused...

I thought it was a joke by the quasi-punchline but then your follow up makes it sound like you were being serious...

I am serious that I was very distraught about having a negative review impacting my online brand identity. I don't ever want to see that again and will make every effort to ensure that it doesn't. I did; however, find humor in the spelling mistake in the actual review.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
What site was the review on?

AutowerxDetailing
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
What site was the review on?

It was from Google Maps/Google Places. Which, apparently recently changed everything and migrated everyone's Google Places page to Google+ which is why there is no name next to this review. From now on anyone who leaves a review in Google has to be logged in to Google+ and it will show their name next to the review. I'm happy with that change but unfortunately all the old reviews will now show up as "anonymous."

CriticalDetails
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
I am serious that I was very distraught about having a negative review impacting my online brand identity. I don't ever want to see that again and will make every effort to ensure that it doesn't. I did; however, find humor in the spelling mistake in the actual review.

Depending on what site the review was written is on you can probably publicly respond to their comment. Responding to negative comments allows you to show other potential customers that you care about righting the situation and that it isn't something that they should worry about when considering your services.

Your best bet would be to say something along the lines of "I am sorry that we did not meet and exceed your detailing expectations. Some carpet stains are permanent and the only way to restore their original appearance is to redye the affected areas. If you would like to bring in your vehicle we would be more than happy to address the issue free of charge."

Have you considered that it may have been a competitor who left the negative review and not a customer?

Tundra_10
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
A company i used to work for required us to ask the customer, before they left, if they were completely satisfied. If they were anything but completely satisfied that we wanted to know what would make them completely satisfied. Also remember, its easier and more common for someone to say something negative then positive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

AutowerxDetailing
06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Have you considered that it may have been a competitor who left the negative review and not a customer?

I thought about that. It's odd that the review appeared right at the exact same time I kicked off a big online marketing push on Google...

A company i used to work for required us to ask the customer, before they left, if they were completely satisfied. If they were anything but completely satisfied that we wanted to know what would make them completely satisfied. Also remember, its easier and more common for someone to say something negative then positive.

I like that idea. I may have to start implementing that.

dad07
06-12-2012, 05:19 PM

you where checking out the competition and maybe they where checking out you. There are some people out there that could make that review that are afraid of work ethic.

BobbyG
06-12-2012, 05:31 PM

I thought about that. It's odd that the review appeared right at the exact same time I kicked off a big online marketing push on Google...

Doesn't this reenforce the bogus review theory? You launch a big marketing push and some douche-bag leaves you a negative review and signs it anonymous....

Consider the verbiage used...."the car pet in my car was still stained"

This is a bogus review......

HotWhipT/A
06-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I too thing it's a bogus review. Either way I let my customers know ahead of time that my paint correction packages include a BASIC interior wipe down and vacuum. If their is excessive pet hair, their is an extra charge. Shampoo/extraction of carpets is an extra $100 if they want to get rid of the stains.

Mobile detail
06-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Do you have any positive reviews? It sounds like a bogus one to me as well. I know sometimes people will leave bad ones just to be a jerk. Its not funny and it can affect your business a little. That comment is pretty limited and doesn't really bash you over a barrel but I can understand worrying about it. I wouldn't. If you know you did your best job then thats all that matters and people/customers know this.

Still doesn't take away from stressing you out but let it go. Not worth losing sleep over "car-pet still had stains". Sounds like someone who doesn't speak English that was hired by a rival company to leave bad reviews. I know companies will do that on Yelp all the time

BobbyG
06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Nick, shoot me the address and I'll leave a stellar review!! :props: