PDA

View Full Version : Best Products to Use with a Steam Cleaner?

ozziepuppy
06-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi all, I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere. I did several searches and could not come up with any clear answers.

According to UPS tracking, my VX5000 WILL arrive this Friday (finally!). I want to work on my son's car over the weekend. It is a 2001 silver Saturn SL2 (previously mine). The interior has a number of spills and stains, gunk, etc. and I thought I should use some kind of spray to pretreat the fabric / carpets / mats / cupholders etc. prior to steaming them. I have already purchased Simple Green purple APC cleaner (I think it is the same as the green, but just with a different scent). I thought I would dilute it in a spray bottle, prespray, and then steam using the diapering method on the carpet/fabric and just use the straight steam on the dashboard, cupholders, doors, etc.

Does this sound like a good approach? This is not going to be a professional detailing job (I am just a hobbyist), but I would like for it to look a lot better than it does now.

Also, the window tinting (added by the dealership) was ruined a while back by a detailing business in Wichita. The windows were professionally tinted when I bought the car but after the car was detailed the tint started bubbling and disintegrating. It has slowly gotten worse and worse over the years and now looks quite disreputable. I would like to use the VX5000 to remove the tinting but I am not sure about the correct technique--am just thinking of peeling a little back (if possible) and then pointing the steam at the point of contact (if that makes sense). Is that the most efficient approach?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Mobile detail
06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok so heres what I do for window tint.
I usually use the larger triangle brush and go over a lose corner and work it over that. Since you already have bubbles, I would cut one so you can "break the seal" and start working it. Once you get the steamer you'll figure it out. After you get the film off, your going to have some residue. I usually hit it with some solvent. For consumer grade you could try mineral spirts or Goof Off adheisive remover. Just be careful not to get any on your door panel and risk staining it.

As for the carpets. I'll usually hit it up with some APC let it sit on it for a few and then with the triangle attachment, Ill have a terrycloth towel and go over the stain. Do you have a shop vac? If so, I would hit it with the steam and the single hole want with a nylon brush attachment and break up the gunk and right away go over it with the vac to suck the junk up.

A steamer is great at cleaning carpets but it only breaks up the gunk, you have to have something to pull that gunk out otherwise it just sits there.

Sorry im typing from my phone. hope that made sense

Blackthorn One
06-12-2012, 03:01 PM
I would use a cleaner on the carpet and use a brush to loosen the grime and then vacuum, then spray water and agitate and vacuum. I would use the steam cleaner last to get the last bit of residue of cleaner and residual stains off off, to make it truly clean. If it is still dirty, I would repeat. I doubt you will get the stains out efficiently without using a carpet brush to agitate.

ozziepuppy
06-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize there would be residue after removing the window tint.

Is the Simple Green APC acceptable?

Yes, I have a shop vac, so sucking up the gunk should be no problem.

Mobile detail
06-13-2012, 03:07 AM
If you can handle the smell I guess its ok. Don't really know. I would cut it with some water cause I know it can damage dime trim pieces.try it on a hidden area first lie anything. With your steamer, except with carpets, you shouldn't really need apc to clean.

rwisejr
06-13-2012, 07:25 AM
3 things that I use and can be purchased from Home depot is Folex,Zep premium carpet cleaner and Zep High traffic cleaner. The zep products I dilute accrordingly . Folex I use straight. Let Dwell agitate . Then hit it with the steamer. Then Extract .

ozziepuppy
06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
OK, great. There's a Home Depot not far from here. :xyxthumbs:

AutowerxDetailing
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize there would be residue after removing the window tint.

Is the Simple Green APC acceptable?

Yes, I have a shop vac, so sucking up the gunk should be no problem.

Simple green isn't that bad. I still use it on some things. It actually works pretty well on carpets, door sill plates, and some interior plastics. Just be very careful not to get it on the little painted icons on the door lock/unlock buttons. I have noticed that even highly diluted simple green can sometimes wash away the paint even without agitation. I have never used this purple version that you were talking about though... IDK, it might be different.