PDA

View Full Version : DG-601/501/105 combo exploded!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Meticulous-Detail
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
My DG-601/501/105 combo in Megs Dispenser bottle with pull off cap EXPLODED all over my other products!

I mixed 1 inch of 601 with 2 inches of 105 and 2 inches of 501 with about 1 inch left over in the bottle. Shook it up and left it. Went down this morning and the cap was blown off and it was everywhere.

Pretty powerful combo if you ask me. I lost about 15% of the mix but at least all my other products have a nice coat of protection. Anyone have any idea why this happened?

richy
06-12-2012, 10:47 AM
You originally posted this in another thread that I just responded to, so I'll copy my answer over here too:

Holy Moley!! FYI, and not that I think it matters, but I do 2 separate bottles. One I mix 601/501 at 1:4 and the other 601/105 at 1:4. I have been doing this for longer than a year (maybe 2?) and have never had that happen, nor has anyone ever reported it either. I don't know why it would have happened. Was there a big temperature change? Left in the sun? I'm sorry to hear that. It had to have been shaking it and leaving it. I only shake it to mix and then dispense it. Gotta be the reason.

Ray@Autogeek
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
This is one of the reasons why I never mix products. Experimenting can go wrong. I suffered a painful chemical burn on my right middle and ring finger a few years ago after spraying two cars back to back. For the first car I used HOK's Orion Silver, when I was mixing the PPG Saturn White for the second vehicle my fingers felt like I dipped them in a pot of lava. I ran to the wash sink and put my hand under cold running water....the result was NOT what I was looking for. It made the burning sensation much worse. So I grabbed a terry towel to dry off and spoke like a sailor for the rest of the day lol. I learned my lesson about mixing chemicals. If the manufacturer doesn't suggest it, I won't do it. Took me a couple years of using a Dermatologists prescribed cream to get back to normal.

I know this is a semi-relevant example, but I just don't like to play Dr. Jekyll....

rwright
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I still don't understand why people want to mix 105 and 501 in the same bottle? Sorry to hear about your mess though.

Meticulous-Detail
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
You originally posted this in another thread that I just responded to, so I'll copy my answer over here too:

Holy Moley!! FYI, and not that I think it matters, but I do 2 separate bottles. One I mix 601/501 at 1:4 and the other 601/105 at 1:4. I have been doing this for longer than a year (maybe 2?) and have never had that happen, nor has anyone ever reported it either. I don't know why it would have happened. Was there a big temperature change? Left in the sun? I'm sorry to hear that. It had to have been shaking it and leaving it. I only shake it to mix and then dispense it. Gotta be the reason.

No big temp change that I know of and not left in the sun, was in the basement on the shelf. No big deal, took a few minutes to clean up. For some reason the mix expanded and there was not enough room in the bottle. I transferred the mix to a bigger bottle. I am going to use this combo this weekend and post the results.

I still don't understand why people want to mix 105 and 501 in the same bottle? Sorry to hear about your mess though.

I mixed the two because I figured 501 has more cleaning abilities than 105. I like to experiment with products and sometimes there are consequences................lol

A.P.A.D.
06-12-2012, 11:18 AM
the squeeze bottle i use for 501/601 likes to build pressure and explode as well.

i shook it really well yesterday (about 2/3 full) put it down for 15 minutes. then went over to take the little red cap off and it "exploded" or popped product up in the air.

good times! lol

BobbyG
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM

:iagree:

I have to agree here as well.

I've mixed up what I need and generally 5 ounces of 601/105 is plenty to do one car. This fills the bottle about 2/3 full and it works well, no signs of erupting or exploding at all.

My bottle is still over 1/3 full and sits on the shelf waiting to be used....

Meticulous-Detail
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
the squeeze bottle i use for 501/601 likes to build pressure and explode as well.

i shook it really well yesterday (about 2/3 full) put it down for 15 minutes. then went over to take the little red cap off and it "exploded" or popped product up in the air.

good times! lol

Glad to see I am not the only one lol. I tossed the bottle.

richy
06-12-2012, 11:49 AM
This is one of the reasons why I never mix products. Experimenting can go wrong. I suffered a painful chemical burn on my right middle and ring finger a few years ago after spraying two cars back to back. For the first car I used HOK's Orion Silver, when I was mixing the PPG Saturn White for the second vehicle my fingers felt like I dipped them in a pot of lava. I ran to the wash sink and put my hand under cold running water....the result was NOT what I was looking for. It made the burning sensation much worse. So I grabbed a terry towel to dry off and spoke like a sailor for the rest of the day lol. I learned my lesson about mixing chemicals. If the manufacturer doesn't suggest it, I won't do it. Took me a couple years of using a Dermatologists prescribed cream to get back to normal.

I know this is a semi-relevant example, but I just don't like to play Dr. Jekyll....
I am the one who introduced this practice to AG. I was recommended it by Dr. Jerry Bailey, one of the 2 brothers of Brothers Research, which is the company that owns Duragloss. Jerry is the one who works in the lab developing formulae and products. He and I are close. I tried it myself with fantastic results (including shaking the bottle well to mix it) and had no adverse reactions. In fact, using this method for a few years and recommending it to many who have also used it to great results, I would suggest this is an uncommon occurrence. I would also now suggest that if one is going to shake the bottle to mix it, that you do it right before using it and don't shake it and walk away.
This was a manufacturer-sanctioned mix and not witchcraft. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your mixing, but there's no way in Hell I would recommend anything to anybody that would put anyone in danger. Period.

How do you mix it then Richard? I've always done it in a plastic squeeze bottle for ease of dispensing.

Hoytman
06-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Been awhile since I logged in, but I seen this and had to reply.

Richy,
Sadly I haven't yet had a chance to use the product mixture you sent to me. However, when it arrived by mail I opened the package and the bottle inside the office where my wife works and it too popped loudly and sent a mist through the air. Afterwards vapors were arising from out of the bottle. Not sure what it was attributed to, but after seeing nothing major happened I thought it was pretty funny...considering what a mess it could have made on my wife's desk. I got lucky on the mess part. I haven't opened it since, but I'm going now to check it again since being stored in the garage. I'll be right back...

...Nothing unusual after being stored in a garage with fluctuating temperatures.

Yep, I unscrewed the cap and pow!!! You should have seen the look on my wife's face...LOL!!!

richy
06-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Been awhile since I logged in, but I seen this and had to reply.

Richy,
Sadly I haven't yet had a chance to use the product mixture you sent to me. However, when it arrived by mail I opened the package and the bottle inside the office where my wife works and it too popped loudly and sent a mist through the air. Afterwards vapors were arising from out of the bottle. Not sure what it was attributed to, but after seeing nothing major happened I thought it was pretty funny...considering what a mess it could have made on my wife's desk. I got lucky on the mess part. I haven't opened it since, but I'm going now to check it again since being stored in the garage. I'll be right back...

...Nothing unusual after being stored in a garage with fluctuating temperatures.

Yep, I unscrewed the cap and pow!!! You should have seen the look on my wife's face...LOL!!!

OK, and the bottle I sent you obviously was not shaken either before I packaged it. Given the feedback, I will no longer suggest that the products be mixed. Having said that, I will continue to mix mine as I've never had any issues and will continue to use it as I have.

A.P.A.D.
06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
OK, and the bottle I sent you obviously was not shaken either before I packaged it. Given the feedback, I will no longer suggest that the products be mixed. Having said that, I will continue to mix mine as I've never had any issues and will continue to use it as I have.

the exploding or popping of the product is not so extreme that you should stop suggesting it! imo

the product works great! it people are worried about the popping, then only mix what u will use on each application. i think it is just a matter or the air expanding in the bottle. no if people are opening the cap with it aimed to their eye...well, that is just stupid. i always open the cap facing away from myself, the vehicle, or anything i dont want to get a little outacontrol spray on.

501/601 is STILL a great product! mix on my friend!!!

dad07
06-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I've been mixing these products for some time now with no problems.

I use 2 bottles. 1 for 501/601 and 1 for 105/601.

I follow Richy's recomendations and I have never had this happen.

I use 3oz bottles (travel lotion type) and I get 3 large vehicals out of those bottles then its time to remix.

not to put the blame on anybody.....could the bottles that some of you using reacting to plastic itself and causing the reaction? Just thinking out loud.

OhTwoGT
06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I have never heard of this mixture, if yall dont mind me asking what is the correct mixtures of these products and what are the benefits?

Meticulous-Detail
06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey Richy, can't find a thread in which you ever suggested mixing all 3 in the same bottle, that was my idea.

This is the first time I have mixed 2 products in a bottle. I usually mix products on the pad.

DG501 and Megs D151 combo gave me fantastic results and so did Megs Cleaner Wax and Collonite 476s.