PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire GEP and pad selection

Shakabruddah808
06-12-2012, 02:52 AM
I have a question, and I apologize if it has appeared elsewhere on this forum. I've used the search function and I am bombarded with threads and posts. I've already spent the past three hours trying to find an answer to my question. Thus far no luck, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I will be ordering BF GEP to apply to my white, '12 Honda Fit. I want to do some correction, but not much, mostly I want to strip old waxes to prepare for BF sealant.

Is this product more of a glaze than a polish? Can some correction be achieved by pad choice?

I have CCS Euro Foam hand applicators in both red and white.
CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio - Your Choice! (http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-euro-foam-hand-applicators-trio.html)

I know that the red pads are for the application of waxes, sealants and glazes. Will the white offer some corrective ability, or will I have to step up to something stronger? And I'd much rather try to keep things "in the family" so to speak. Mike Philips suggests a 'system' approach: "Synergistic Chemical Compatibility".

And will it have to be "applied with passion", as Mike Phillips stated on one of his postings.
The benefits of a light paint cleaner, cleansing lotion or pre-wax cleaner (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html)

Again, I sincerely apologize if this posting has already been answered elsewhere.

This posting will self-destruct in five seconds. Thank you for your time and have a great day. *Chuckle*
:laughing:

mjlinane
06-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Are you applying by hand? If so, probably isn't too critical (within reason) and the amount of correction will be limited.

If you have a DA, then do a test spot (as usual). Start with black, green and white - stopping when you get the finish you are looking for.

Waxy
06-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Compound - orange pad
Polish - white pad
Finishing polish - black pad
Sealant/Wax - red pad

truckbutt
06-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Blackfire GEP has no abrasives, no correcting ability. From the AG page:
Features:

Removes old wax or sealants.
Hides minor swirls and water spots.
Beautifies all colors.
Prepares paint for fresh wax or sealant.
Directions:

Hand Application: Work out of direct sunlight. BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish can be applied by hand or machine. Shake well before using. Work on one section at a time (example: half a hood, fender, door, etc.). Apply a nickel-size amount to a microfiber or foam applicator. Wipe on using a circular motion until haze starts to form. Immediately remove residue using a soft, dry microfiber towel.

Machine Application: Use a foam polishing pad on your dual action or rotary polisher. Apply four dime-size drops of product onto pad. Use a medium speed (4-5 on a DA polisher or 1,000 RPM on a rotary polisher) to work product into paint using an overlapping motion until haze starts to form. Immediately remove residue using a soft, dry microfiber towel. Work one section at a time.

jcedorjr
06-12-2012, 08:36 AM
I just used GEP on my car but used a Porter Cable 7424XP to apply it and it did an awesome job cleaning the old wax off of the car but didn't do much if anything for any scratches on my car, minor or not. It's more of a paint cleaner than a polish I'd say. The paint definitely looks nicer and I also applied the Blackfire All Paint Protection sealant afterwards and it came out awesome. The reflection is amazing.

I would use the white CCS pad and just work it in but it should do a good job cleaning your paint and prepping it for the sealant, which you'll use the red pad to apply. Make sure you start with a clay bar process before the polish for the best results. Good luck!

07gtcs
06-12-2012, 09:19 AM
I did this process to my Mother In Laws old dead Mercury Topaz this weekend. I used the LC Orange Foam pad with the GEP (did take out one of the light scratches on her trunk) and then used the Crimson Foam pad for the TPNS. Brought the old paint back to life. Gave it a quick coat of Poly Seal the next morning before taking it back to her.

Shakabruddah808
06-13-2012, 02:38 AM
I just used GEP on my car but used a Porter Cable 7424XP to apply it and it did an awesome job cleaning the old wax off of the car but didn't do much if anything for any scratches on my car, minor or not. It's more of a paint cleaner than a polish I'd say. The paint definitely looks nicer and I also applied the Blackfire All Paint Protection sealant afterwards and it came out awesome. The reflection is amazing.

I would use the white CCS pad and just work it in but it should do a good job cleaning your paint and prepping it for the sealant, which you'll use the red pad to apply. Make sure you start with a clay bar process before the polish for the best results. Good luck!

My first AG order, received last week, was mainly car washing products. My next order will be more intensive paint related items, and Meg's clay bar kit is among them.

For claying, an ample amount of lube is required. If the Meg's QD included in the clay kit runs out, would you say BF Rinseless, diluted to clay bar strength, (I was thinking of diluting it to QD strength) have sufficient lubricity? Or should I just use a dedicated QD?

BTW, much mahalos for your input regarding BF GEP!
:xyxthumbs:

Shakabruddah808
06-13-2012, 02:53 AM
Blackfire GEP has no abrasives, no correcting ability. From the AG page:
Features:

Removes old wax or sealants.
Hides minor swirls and water spots.
Beautifies all colors.
Prepares paint for fresh wax or sealant.
Directions:

Hand Application: Work out of direct sunlight. BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish can be applied by hand or machine. Shake well before using. Work on one section at a time (example: half a hood, fender, door, etc.). Apply a nickel-size amount to a microfiber or foam applicator. Wipe on using a circular motion until haze starts to form. Immediately remove residue using a soft, dry microfiber towel.

Machine Application: Use a foam polishing pad on your dual action or rotary polisher. Apply four dime-size drops of product onto pad. Use a medium speed (4-5 on a DA polisher or 1,000 RPM on a rotary polisher) to work product into paint using an overlapping motion until haze starts to form. Immediately remove residue using a soft, dry microfiber towel. Work one section at a time.

Yeah, the product description, while informative, didn't answer my one nagging question of whether or not GEP is pad dependent. But now I know that it is more of a cleaner/glaze rather than a chemical polish. But that's a good thing, since I no longer have to buy yet another separate product.

But that's okay, I'm not aiming for 100% perfection, and I can live with a few very minor defects. I just want to do whatever I possibly can to make my car's finish look great...greater than when I drove it off the dealership lot.

Waxy
06-13-2012, 06:17 AM
BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Compound - orange pad
(abrasives to remove 2000 grit sanding marks)
BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish - white pad
(abrasives to remove 2500-3000 grit sanding marks)
BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish - black/gray pad
(no cut finishing polish with a built-in glaze)
BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - red pad
(premium paint sealant)

Lake Country Comparison Chart to determine what Lake Country Foam Pad will work best for your detailing goals.

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/buffing-pad-chart-lc.htm)

truckbutt
06-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah, the product description, while informative, didn't answer my one nagging question of whether or not GEP is pad dependent. But now I know that it is more of a cleaner/glaze rather than a chemical polish. But that's a good thing, since I no longer have to buy yet another separate product.

But that's okay, I'm not aiming for 100% perfection, and I can live with a few very minor defects. I just want to do whatever I possibly can to make my car's finish look great...greater than when I drove it off the dealership lot.

In my mind, however twisted, since it has no abrasives, you can use a polishing pad of a finishing pad. If you have any swirls I think you'd be better off with a polish with fine abrasives like M205 or P085RD. I have a bottle of BFGEP and after using the two products I mentioned, I haven't felt a need for the extra step.

dpk20x
05-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Hope you guys don't mind me bumping this old thread.

When using a DA (I'll be using a GG6) how big of an area do you normally work with Gloss Enhancing Polish? Can you get away working a larger area than 2 by 2 since you won't be doing any real correction?

Also what kind of arm speed are you using? Thanks.

cleanmycorolla
05-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Hope you guys don't mind me bumping this old thread.

When using a DA (I'll be using a GG6) how big of an area do you normally work with Gloss Enhancing Polish? Can you get away working a larger area than 2 by 2 since you won't be doing any real correction?

Also what kind of arm speed are you using? Thanks.

I do a 3x3. Medium pressure 4 passes maybe. Mid range arm speed. Flat black LC pad. Haze up for a min then wipe off. :) I read once to apply paint cleaners slightly on the "heavier side" of things, so I may use slightly bigger pea size drops on my pad, maybe dime size nickel size, but that just what I do so its not fact by any means. It's great prep for BFWD though, well worth it.

dpk20x
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I do a 3x3. Medium pressure 4 passes maybe. Mid range arm speed. Flat black LC pad. Haze up for a min then wipe off. :) I read once to apply paint cleaners slightly on the "heavier side" of things, so I may use slightly bigger pea size drops on my pad, maybe dime size nickel size, but that just what I do so its not fact by any means. It's great prep for BFWD though, well worth it.

Sweet that was the answer I was hoping for Im the MAN

I've got a fairly large SUV with a lot of paint to cover so being able to do bigger sections like that should help a lot. Plan on using GEP to prep my paint for a coat or two of BFWD and then my sample of BlackIce.

Is there any indication that the polish has been worked long enough? Will it flash?

panthercz
05-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Sweet that was the answer I was hoping for Im the MAN

I've got a fairly large SUV with a lot of paint to cover so being able to do bigger sections like that should help a lot. Plan on using GEP to prep my paint for a coat or two of BFWD and then my sample of BlackIce.

Is there any indication that the polish has been worked long enough? Will it flash?

It more or less, just hazes a little. I have two bottles of BF GEP and have gone through a third. I actually prefer using it by hand with a damp microfiber applicator as per the instructions on the bottle. I've used a black pad and machine to apply it as well, but didn't like how it was going on and spreading.

Wash, clay, apply BF GEP then use whatever LSP you want after that.

And as already stated, the GEP does not have any abrasives. The name is confusing because of the word "polish" in it but it is a paint cleaner and glaze, so don't expect any correction. It does hide some blemishes though, so that's nice. It also looks great just by itself on the paint, which is just all the more reason to use before a sealant or wax.

dpk20x
05-13-2013, 07:56 PM
It more or less, just hazes a little. I have two bottles of BF GEP and have gone through a third. I actually prefer using it by hand with a damp microfiber applicator as per the instructions on the bottle. I've used a black pad and machine to apply it as well, but didn't like how it was going on and spreading.

Wash, clay, apply BF GEP then use whatever LSP you want after that.

And as already stated, the GEP does not have any abrasives. The name is confusing because of the word "polish" in it but it is a paint cleaner and glaze, so don't expect any correction. It does hide some blemishes though, so that's nice. It also looks great just by itself on the paint, which is just all the more reason to use before a sealant or wax.

Thanks for the tips!