PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys handle factory decals?

Newdetailer1
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Do you guys just tape them off? Do you apply any wax on top? How about the large design decals on the sides of trruck beds and stuff?

Nappers
06-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I've seen some avoid with machine, tape them (be careful with tape lifting decal) or go by hand around the decal. I'd be careful with machine on decal or wouldn't suggest it if it were me. I would think you could wax it though. If the decal is thick, may need to take a soft brush and get the wax off of the edges of the decal (may show.....).

RhetoricMixes
06-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Tape, tape and tape some more. Save yourself the headache and the money and just tape it off so your machine doesnt hit it (trust me i know). As far as polishing the paint around them do as Nappers said and leave about a inch untouched around it then when your done machine polishing just do those areas by hand. Its not a perfect method but its better than tearing one up.

arkus
06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
tape them....
dont polish but wax is ok

builthatch
06-11-2012, 08:32 PM
as mentioned, tape them off when polishing - both emblems and decals. for emblems, some vehicles you need to remove them prior to correction if the areas in and around them are damaged enough.

for protection, when you do a full detail for the first time on a new car, do multiple IPA wipes after washing when you are prepping the car for LSP or coating and coat the decals and emblems with opti-coat if you are looking for permanent protection against yellowing/fading and in the case of chromed plastic, corrosion. opti-coat bonds very well to chromed plastic and decals.