PDA

View Full Version : 3M Perfect It 3000 Ultarfine machine Polish (Ultrafina)

truckbutt
06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Menzerna P085rd is very popular on this forum and can be used both DA and rotary. I was wondering if anyone had compared it to 3M Perfect IT 3000 Ultafine Machine Polish (Ultrafina) on a rotary. I just got some, but I'm waiting for a day without rain or chores to try it out.

RoadRageDetail
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Not sure what you expect to get out of it, but it has hardly any correcting properties at all. It will remove small amounts of marring and hazing left behind from Megs 205 or 3M's Perfect-It Machine Polish, but won't remove any swirls at all. Makes a great finishing polish on any car, it helps a great deal to prep the surface for sealants and waxes. A little goes a long way and has a very long working time. Wipes off clean and it will never cake up on the surface and I've never seen it dust out.

truckbutt
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Not sure what you expect to get out of it, but it has hardly any correcting properties at all. It will remove small amounts of marring and hazing left behind from Megs 205 or 3M's Perfect-It Machine Polish, but won't remove any swirls at all. Makes a great finishing polish on any car, it helps a great deal to prep the surface for sealants and waxes. A little goes a long way and has a very long working time. Wipes off clean and it will never cake up on the surface and I've never seen it dust out.
As compared to P085RD?

Rsurfer
06-11-2012, 01:46 PM
They are both good finishing (jeweling) polishes. I would give an edge to 85rd (SF4500) for slight cut. Love Ultrafina with a blue 3M pad and a rotary. The UK version of Ultrafina seems to finish better than Ultrafine.
As compared to P085RD?

truckbutt
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
They are both good finishing (jeweling) polishes. I would give an edge to 85rd (SF4500) for slight cut. Love Ultrafina with a blue 3M pad and a rotary. The UK version of Ultrafina seems to finish better than Ultrafine.
:xyxthumbs:Thanks.

Mobile detail
06-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I use the 3M more that the Menzerna. I like the way it works. It doesn't have a lot of correction but it does have enough to take out buffer trails and light/shallow swirls. It wipes off so easy which is nice when you have soft paint that can scratch with a MF. Super long work time and a little goes a long way.

One tip I would give is it likes to work wet. I usally spray the pad with some UWW+ and have at it. I know with the 3M blue pads, you are not supposed to clean them except with a brush or on the fly with a towel. I was told that it has a specail oil in it that works with the Ultrafine and if you use a pad washer or washing machine it will strip the oil. I was also told that UF has something in it that covers up some defects.

truckbutt
06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I use the 3M more that the Menzerna. I like the way it works. It doesn't have a lot of correction but it does have enough to take out buffer trails and light/shallow swirls. It wipes off so easy which is nice when you have soft paint that can scratch with a MF. Super long work time and a little goes a long way.

One tip I would give is it likes to work wet. I usally spray the pad with some UWW+ and have at it. I know with the 3M blue pads, you are not supposed to clean them except with a brush or on the fly with a towel. I was told that it has a specail oil in it that works with the Ultrafine and if you use a pad washer or washing machine it will strip the oil. I was also told that UF has something in it that covers up some defects.
Thanks. I'm looking to use it as I would P085RD. Just to add some gloss.

Kaban
06-11-2012, 10:41 PM

i agree. however the cost of getting the ultrafina here to the u.s. is just way too much with shipping, especially when u can get the 85rd so cheaply. if u got money to burn then go ahead and try both and c which 1 u like