PDA

View Full Version : wheel cleaner failure

Largebore
06-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I keep on reading how so many wheel cleaners say just spray on and wash off with the water from a hose.

So far I have tried these brands:

Eagle One
Meguirs Hot Rims
DP Wheel Cleaner
Mothers Wheel and Tire Cleaner

Not a single one worked as advertised.
I clean the wheels at least once a week.

Is there really a spray on hose off wheel cleaner that works as advertised ?

glen e
06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
No...all need some agitation ....coat the wheels with any of the polymer sealants or collonite and it's much easier with the hose

timaishu
06-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Nope. I dont know why they all lie about it. Every wheel cleaner Ive used requires agitation.

RoadRageDetail
06-10-2012, 10:36 PM
DP Wheel Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp370.html)

The DP wheel cleaner is a fantastic product. It retails for $20 by itself and even on the sales page it shows agitation with a brush, is available in several kits that include brushes. 

Megs Wheel and Tire Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-wheel-tire-kit.html)

The Megs retails for $25 in a kit and specifically states you need to agitate (the kit comes with a brush lol)

Eagle One Wheel Cleaner (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7030005-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=#utm_source=cse&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=value3&utm_content=value4)

Mothers All Wheel Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mo05924.html)

These do advertise that they are touchless, retail for $5 and $7 and everyone knows its b.s. lol.

Cman8
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
The only one I have used that is decent spray on rinse off is the poorboys one. Not a miracle but did work decently. If you seal your wheels then brake dust pretty much is rinse off.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Nope. I dont know why they all lie about it. Every wheel cleaner Ive used requires agitation.
:iagree:

swanicyouth
06-11-2012, 05:15 AM
In my opinion it depends how clean you want your wheels. Some acid / base wheel cleaners can get your wheels pretty clean, but I wouldnt use them on my cars because I feel they may cause damage over repeated use. If you seal / Opti Coat your wheels and wash your cars weekly (you mention you do), you should be able to clean them with a slightly strong(er) mixture of car wash soap and a good set of brushes. I use a soft fender brush, small and large Daytona brushes, microfibers, a lug nut brush, and now the Race Glaze brushes - not to mention a tampico brush for the tires. I guess it's just like other things, if you want excellent results, you have to put time into it. For O.T.C. products, Meg's Chrome Wheel Cleaner will get your wheels exetremely clean with little or no agitation, but it's highly acidic / or basic and can be corrosive if not removed quickly and completely.

Largebore
06-11-2012, 06:12 AM
The agitation with a brush is really no problem.
Just thought it funny how much hype is expended on the spray on hose off concept. With a littlel brush work all of the brands that I mentioned worked just fine.

DLaw
06-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Brown Royal is the only true spray and rinse wheel cleaner I have found that works so far. It also works fantastic on inner wheel wells. At a 3:1 ratio, a gallon goes along way.
On real neglected wheels, of course you have to use a brush. With maintained wheels with heavy brake dust, it works like a dream.
Too bad AG doesn't sell it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

TimmyG
06-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Brown Royal is the only true spray and rinse wheel cleaner I have found that works so far. It also works fantastic on inner wheel wells. At a 3:1 ratio, a gallon goes along way.
On real neglected wheels, of course you have to use a brush. With maintained wheels with heavy brake dust, it works like a dream.
Too bad AG doesn't sell it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

+1

I've removed some really baked brake dust with brown royal without agitation. It's a great product.

Mike Phillips
06-11-2012, 08:30 AM
The only product I've used that works well as a spray on, rinse off product was Amazing Roll-Off but even for neglected wheels it still works better to agitate the cleaner against the rim.

Keep in mind, to truly have a product that requires zero agitation would mean to have a product that was so strong that it can not only chemically dissolve and strip brake dust and road grime off the wheel and tire but could potentially be so strong as to harm the tire and the wheel material or whatever coating is on the wheel material.

Wheel material = what the wheel is actually made from, steel, aluminum, etc.

:)