PDA

View Full Version : Need a deeper paint cleaner...

Pages : [1] 2

booju
06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey folks,

I'm new here and I'm trying to spiff up my wife's severely neglected white 2001 Toyota Tacoma.

It is severely weathered, oxidized, and paint is horribly faded.

First, I washed it with Dawn soap, then clayed it, and washed it again.

It's CLEAN and smoothe...but FADED now.

So I used Megs Prewax Cleaner and tested it on the hood.

I was impressed as it took out and cleaned the paint some and gave it a spiffy shine.
However, I would say it only cleaned about 80-85% of the stained haziness of this white paint.

I want to use a Meg product that would have a bit more cleansing power to it to get that remaining 15-20% out... before I try something to abrade the paint. I believe a deeper cleaning product would do the job.... at least I hope!

I'd like something that will offer deep-cleaning properties and perhaps oils in it to help moisturize this paint back to life...then I will seal and wax.

Your help would be greatly appreciated...I have a DA PC 7346 and LC white and gray flat pads.

Hope to snap a few pics tomorrow and post...

john b
06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
dg 501

AdamL
06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
How about a non abrasive polish or paintwork cleaner? Severely neglected probably needs more than that, though. Just try megs polish if you have a pc. 105/205 is popular.

Agfan
06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Dodo juice lime prime is amazing.

swrve
06-10-2012, 11:50 PM
for a deeper paint cleaner and you wanna stick with megs, i would try d151, or ultimate compound, or ultimate polish.....depending how severe your correction needs are.

Rsurfer
06-11-2012, 02:48 AM
You have single stage paint. An orange pad and Ultimate Compound should clean it up.

booju
06-11-2012, 03:07 AM
You have single stage paint. An orange pad and Ultimate Compound should clean it up.

I do...
I thought because it was a 2001 for sure it has a clear-coat?

Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
06-11-2012, 06:05 AM

Give Ron a cigar!!

For some reason Toyota has chosen to use single stage paints on some of it's colors. Personally, I have no idea why as the clear does so much for the paints longevity...

swanicyouth
06-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Give Ron a cigar!!

For some reason Toyota has chosen to use single stage paints on some of it's colors. Personally, I have no idea why as the clear does so much for the paints longevity...

Why? I don't know. But I can tell you I bought a brand new 2002 MR-2 in 2002 and actually got rid of the car a year later (and took a huge hit on it) because the finish was soooo poor. Paint was peeling off front and rear bumpers and the hood. Went round and round with Toyota and they told me it was my fault for washing with a pressure washer. They made several failed attempts to fix it. So, in my experience, Toyota's have flimsy cheap finishes. In know this is only one experience, but I'll never buy one again after that. I've owned several cars and wash them all the same way and never had a problem - only with the Toyota.

BobbyG
06-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Why? I don't know. But I can tell you I bought a brand new 2002 MR-2 in 2002 and actually got rid of the car a year later (and took a huge hit on it) because the finish was soooo poor. Paint was peeling off front and rear bumpers and the hood. Went round and round with Toyota and they told me it was my fault for washing with a pressure washer. They made several failed attempts to fix it. So, in my experience, Toyota's have flimsy cheap finishes. In know this is only one experience, but I'll never buy one again after that. I've owned several cars and wash them all the same way and never had a problem - only with the Toyota.

That's the $64,000 question!! :props:

Clear coatings were developed quite some time ago and have proven themselves invaluable. I can only assume that cost is behind this decision but personally feel it's a poor one..

In my opinion the what I dislike about Toyota's the most is their finish. My wife has had 2 Toyota's 5 years apart and both the finishes, although clear coated, were soft and easily scratched and damaged... Toyota finishes rate dead last.....

BWG707
06-11-2012, 11:02 AM

My neighbor has the same Toy and the paint is terrible- peeling off in chunks. It's too bad because it's a great little car.

RTexasF
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
It is indeed single stage paint. You can clean it until you are blue in the face but the results will only come with an abrasive polish or compound and the correct pad combo. Been there done that with an '03 White Corolla. VERY hard paint and the only time ever that I had to use yellow pads on a Cyclo with compound to bring the shine back to life. That was followed by Menzerna and an orange pad. I think it was Intensive care but that was several years back so I'm not positive. Plan on lots of white stained pads to clean and do so often unless you have a bunch of them.

Rsurfer
06-11-2012, 01:52 PM
The pearl whites have clear, but not the pure whites. I was recently told that the reds have no clear. Dunno about that one.
Give Ron a cigar!!

Rsurfer
06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Isn't Intensive Care a hand cream? LOL...Maybe Super Intensive Polish (SIP)? :xyxthumbs:

QUOTE=RTexasF;690586] I think it was Intensive care but that was several years back so I'm not positive.

booju
06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
It is indeed single stage paint. You can clean it until you are blue in the face but the results will only come with an abrasive polish or compound and the correct pad combo. Been there done that with an '03 White Corolla. VERY hard paint and the only time ever that I had to use yellow pads on a Cyclo with compound to bring the shine back to life. That was followed by Menzerna and an orange pad. I think it was Intensive care but that was several years back so I'm not positive. Plan on lots of white stained pads to clean and do so often unless you have a bunch of them.

Yep, that paint is HARD alright!
And I'm blue in the face this evening for sure... :buffing:

This white HARD toy pain ain't giving up the ghost as easy as I had anticipated... LOL

I'll get me some cutting pads for my DA and try to find a med-grade abrasive polish.

I appreciate your help brother!

Thanks! :xyxthumbs: