PDA

View Full Version : Parking lot Wars

Pages : [1] 2

hondacare
06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Since I have became a Auto Geek, I am more aware of where I park my car. Often avoiding those shopping cart corral stations. I also avoid parking next to badly maintained vehicles. Because if they don't care about theirs....then yours is the door dings. So I park in the "exercise zone" . A good walk never hurt nobody and its good for you. I think clean maintained car should have their own parking lot. So ..."Where do you park?"

ScottB
06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I remove all baskets from around where I am parking ... I try to do at least a two spots left and right and front check before walking into any store. Less chance of a ding from a cart boy or someone flying into a spot before seeing it.

excalibur
06-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Since I have became a Auto Geek, I am more aware of where I park my car. Often avoiding those shopping cart corral stations. I also avoid parking next to badly maintained vehicles. Because if they don't care about theirs....then yours is the door dings. So I park in the "exercise zone" . A good walk never hurt nobody and its good for you. I think clean maintained car should have their own parking lot. So ..."Where do you park?"

In the most remote part of the parking lot there is usually, drop the wife off at the front door then go park, although half the time, invariably although there are 582 other parking spots, somebody will park next to me. I also try and take up two parking spots, and hope that doesnt tick someone off. :rolleyes:

timaishu
06-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I park as far back as I can. Or I will look for a spot at the end of an aisle where my car is on the right side of the second to last car. That way I can give myself more room parking a little bit over the line, and there is a less of a chance for dings because they might not have a passenger.

mleun481
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I live in nyc and most of the time, its street parallel parking. For that, I use a rubber bumper protector for the rear. Its only for parking and don't drive with it, although many do. For the front, I have a thick front bumper protector. If I park in a lot, i use magnetic door protectors. I also try to park higher if the lot isn't flat for those runaway shopping carts. Oh, plus I park far away where most people won't want to walk that far.

DaHen
06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I try to find where other cars that are well detailed and taken care of park. Most of the time they pick out the highest point (uphill) in the parking lot. I join them but keep my distant by also parking one or two spaces from them.

Setec Astronomy
06-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I remove all baskets from around where I am parking ... I try to do at least a two spots left and right and front check before walking into any store. Less chance of a ding from a cart boy or someone flying into a spot before seeing it.

I learned a hard lesson about this at Home Depot. I parked and there was a cart what I thought was a safe distance away in front of my car (parking lot is dead flat). While I was in the store a squall come up with half a tornado and when I went back outside, the cart was against my wheel arch in the back of the car and had put a nice ding right in the lip :(

I park as far back as I can. Or I will look for a spot at the end of an aisle where my car is on the right side of the second to last car. That way I can give myself more room parking a little bit over the line, and there is a less of a chance for dings because they might not have a passenger.

Yes, usually as far away as possible, next to an island or end of an aisle, a little over the line ("oh, I'm sorry officer, I didn't realize I was out of the space!"), so it's only possible to have another car on one side.

T0RCH3D
06-10-2012, 08:37 PM

This! It is the most effective way to avoid and knicks or car dings. Either park as far away as possible or to the passenger side of a car at the end of the parking aisle. Make sure if possible that you can only have a car park next you on one side, thus decreasing your chances of dings 50% right off the bat. There is no bulletproof method to avoiding this but it doesn't hurt to try. You park far away, where only one car can possibly hit you, you take too long in the store and another car pulls up and parks next to your car. Two kids are racing out of the car and their passenger side door opens and slams into your door.

beantown
06-11-2012, 07:56 AM
It's pretty funny when people I am with look at me and say, "you sure you parked far enough away?" I'll take the comments any day over potential damage to my car.

When parking in large lots, such as Home Depot, Target, etc. I usually use these rules of thumb:

-If available, park far away from any other cars.
-Park next to a light post if possible (used as a "quasi buffer" on one side")
-If the ground is not flat, park at a high point; to avoid any rampant carts
-Avoid parking near Minivans or Large SUVs
-Outer perimeter spaces are your friend

In other locations, if parallel parking is the only option, park only at end spots.

FanaticFan
06-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Only problem with parking near light posts? Bird bombers.

Boozman
06-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Taking up two parking places Is not a good idea, someone will park as close to you as they can or will mess with you car.

bigez
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
There's two surefire ways to avoid dings:
1) Never park in a public place (or drive a clunker when parking in public)
2) Never leave your driveway

BWG707
06-11-2012, 10:29 AM
In the most remote part of the parking lot there is usually, drop the wife off at the front door then go park, although half the time, invariably although there are 582 other parking spots, somebody will park next to me. I also try and take up two parking spots, and hope that doesnt tick someone off. :rolleyes:

Taking up 2 spots can be very risky. You WILL piss off people and I've actually seen people bend antennas because of people doing that. I just park in the back of the lot and get a little exorcise. You make it into the store or whatever just a min. slower- no be deal to me. I also check my car for dings upon returning.

swanicyouth
06-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Like a lot of you, I always park on an end spot farthest away from the next car. I make sure I am at least an open door length away for the largest car I can think of. This has severed me well for many years and I haven't had a ding in many years. Also, I bet on the laziness of others. Most people will drive and drive in circles to get a closer spot. If you park far in the back, most people just are too lazy to walk that far

But, my question is: Has anyone actually left a business before entering just because the parking lot looks too jacked up? Like, say, the mall at Christmas time. Occasionally, I'll go someplace where the parking lot is just too populated with kids, SUVs, shopping carts, and other dangers. I'll say "forget this place"and go somewhere else. It happened to me yesterday at a busy WAWA (local convenience store). The parking lot had people parked all over in illegal spots and it was filled with kids and hung over people on Sunday morning. I just bailed and drove down the street to 7-11.

Alex22
06-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Well I drive a truck and its prety comical how mostly everyone tries to avoid me as much possible hahaha :) Well in many stores theres almost always a rear or side door you can enter thats mostly emptyball the time we thats where i live and i just park there giving room for a car on each side. That said if i ever spotted one of you guys i would pput a sticky note and write sorry for the ding and record. hahaha jk