PDA

View Full Version : sealant or wax choice

Pages : [1] 2

jodoin25
06-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I am looking to buy a war or a sealant and I am having some difficulty choosing them. The car is always park outside and has to go through canadian winter. I am now looking for Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 or colonite 845. I'm also open for other products. But since I am a student cost matter.

I know that waxes doesn't last as long as sealant but is the difference between 845 and the paint sealant that big? (yes I clay the car before adding wax to it)

Is there a big difference in colour depth and shine between those two products? Can you really see the difference between the sealant and a wax?

Thank's for yours answers!

rwright
06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
For a car sitting outside 24/7 and exposed to harsh environments, I would stick to Duragloss #105 Total Performance Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html), Collinite #476 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-super-doublecoat--wax-476.html), FK1000-P (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html), and if you must Collinite #845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html). These have proven track records in harsh environments.

Agfan
06-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't want to buy a war. Could be dangerous.

FUNX650
06-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't want to buy a war. Could be dangerous.

@AGO forum member...Afgan(?):

Don't know if it's always dangerous...But:

I believe that's what France told Benjamin Franklin when he was asking for child-support during the infancy of what England claimed was: "A Great Societal Upheaval"!!
...(Better known as the American Revolution.)

Ever since, it seems, our Franco-American relationship has been tenuous, at best.

BTW...
I might be somewhat confused...What is the correct spelling of your AGO forum-name: Agfan or Afgan?? :D

:)

Bob

Agfan
06-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Lol dude talk about confusing. Everything you say has barely any point to it. Seems you try extremely hard to impress others on here by sounding intellectual and adding useless info. Ok we get it. Your a smart person and we all respect that. But come on!! Can't you ever just give a normal response? I really hope you don't carry on conversations like this with your friends or family.lol
That being said. For such a smart gentlemen like yourself. It clearly shows what my name is in the spot beside this post :)

glen e
06-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Fav "wax"-collonite 845
Fav sealant- blackfire crystal seal

FUNX650
06-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Lol

LOL...DITTO! :)

IMO...The question now seems to beg:
Why art thou so incongruous?

Bob

Agfan
06-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Bob

:doh:

DaHen
06-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Bob

Had to look that one up: incongruous

adj.
1. Lacking in harmony; incompatible: a joke that was incongruous with polite conversation.
2. Not in agreement, as with principles; inconsistent: a plan incongruous with reason.
3. Not in keeping with what is correct, proper, or logical; inappropriate: incongruous behavior.

FUNX650
06-11-2012, 02:49 PM
:doh:

Self-Attunement towards: Nonaccommodation?!?!

:D

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

@ OP: jodoin25...

First:
Excuse my Hijack, if you will...I sometimes stray from the topic at hand, to become involved in a friendly: Tête à tête...

Secondly:
RE: Wax or sealant

-I find myself reaching for sealants more often now, than previously so. Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 is a good sealant, IMO.
-I'll use waxes...especially a 'hybrid-wax', such as Meguiar's #26 for, and when: Going to car shows/cruise-ins; and, spray-detailers/spray-waxes
for on-site 'spruce-ups', while in attendance at these aforementioned car-events.

-Although many folks will disagree with the following assessment...
I'm hard-pressed to see any actual/factual, measurable:
"color depth and shine" differences between these two types of "protective products" LSP's.

-But most everyone will agree (myself included) that the surface's prep-work attainment of smoothness, is one of the most important factors leading up to a surface's glossiness.

-An LSP's main function is to provide a sacrificial barrier. Depending on its Chemistry, among other factors, some LSP's are said to perform this duty longer than others.

:)

Bob

BobbyG
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Sealants - Over the years sealants have come a long way and now rival some really great waxes in terms of depth and shine. They go on super easy and will leave you shocked at how great the finish looks.

Durability - Sealants are far more durable and protect longer, some twice as long as their wax counter part.

Something to keep in the back of your mind. The final results are largely dependent on the prep work done prior to applying the sealant and wax...

Cost

If I had to choose two products that excelled in both gloss and protection and cost less than $30.00 combined it would be:

Sealant - Duragloss 105 TPP (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html)
Wax - Collinite 845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

Rotokim
06-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I've used Rejex for two years, and I'm very pleased with the results. I apply it after using clay bar and preparing the car properly. I was using Zainos products, but I found that Rejex holds up better to the punishment my car takes at HPDEs - rubber marks and clear bra abuse. I still finish the job with Zainos Grand Finale spray. I have a black 1999 Porsche that now gets lots of compliments because of the quality of the finish.

Still, I'm always looking for a better, more durable polish. Do you believe that the combination of Sealant - Duragloss 105 TPP and Wax - Collinite 845 are better? If so, why? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Bob

Agfan
06-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Self-Attunement towards: Nonaccommodation?!?!

Nope as long as you are happy writing that way and trying your hardest to impress others. Then have at it. But realize that people have no clue what the heck you are talkin about. Not to mention people have to look up words just to read one of your post. if this was an "English 101" forum I'm sure it would be satisfying to know that you are challenging your readers. But we're just car guys looking for info about detailing. Not a history or vocabulary lesson!!! But go ahead and respond back with yet another comment that only further proves my point.

Op- I enjoy using both a wax and a sealant. For a little more added protection.

BobbyG
06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
I've used Rejex for two years, and I'm very pleased with the results. I apply it after using clay bar and preparing the car properly. I was using Zainos products, but I found that Rejex holds up better to the punishment my car takes at HPDEs - rubber marks and clear bra abuse. I still finish the job with Zainos Grand Finale spray. I have a black 1999 Porsche that now gets lots of compliments because of the quality of the finish.

Still, I'm always looking for a better, more durable polish. Do you believe that the combination of Sealant - Duragloss 105 TPP and Wax - Collinite 845 are better? If so, why? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Rejex is one product line I've never used. I cannot say if the Duragloss / Collinite combo is a step above but what I can tell you is I'm amazed at the gloss and the products ability to bead water and resist dirt and contaminates....

For a total cost of less than $30.00 it's tough to resist this combo....:props:

Sealant - Duragloss 105 TPP (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-total-performance-polish.html)
Wax - Collinite 845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

tampatopless
06-11-2012, 09:45 PM
I always thought of Rejex as a very heavy duty sealant. But if you are going through Canadian winters, it would seem keeping salt off the car would be a bigger priority. Do they salt the roads up there?