PDA

View Full Version : Help! rubbing compound left dull spot

Pages : [1] 2

julieannarose85
06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I am in the process of selling my 2005 Hyundai Tiburon. I used Turtle wax rubbing compound in a few spots to see if it would take out scratches. in One blemished spot it took off some paint and in another it helped a bit with the scratch but left a dull spot. I did exactly as it said and then used turtle wax to shine it out which worked in some spots but I don't know what to do or how to prevent more dull spots. I really need to get the scratches out of my car but have to do it cheap. what am I doing wrong, and how can I do this job exactly right?

swanicyouth
06-10-2012, 02:14 PM
After a compound you need to follow up with a polish to restore gloss when working with these type of OTC
products. I believe the product you are using is very harsh and not really designed for modern clear coat finishes. I would get some Meg's ScratchX or Ultimate Compound and follow it up with a polish. Can you post pictures?

LuxuryMobile
06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I am in the process of selling my 2005 Hyundai Tiburon. I used Turtle wax rubbing compound in a few spots to see if it would take out scratches.

Are you working by machine or by hand? If by hand, what are you using as a pad to work the product?

in One blemished spot it took off some paint and in another it helped a bit with the scratch but left a dull spot. I did exactly as it said and then used turtle wax to shine it out which worked in some spots but I don't know what to do or how to prevent more dull spots.

If you are trying to use a "wax" to bring/restore the gloss that isn't going to work. You will need a lighter polish to restore the gloss from the haze caused by the rubbing compound. Again working by hand or machine?

I really need to get the scratches out of my car but have to do it cheap. what am I doing wrong, and how can I do this job exactly right?

We will need some more answers before we can really help you but I am sure we can get you steered in the right direction.

Wash, Clay, Compound, Polish, Seal, Wax

Those are the basic steps without getting to in depth.

mg6045
06-10-2012, 02:43 PM
This product should not be used on clear coat paint systems. The formula was made for single stage paint. Its trash's clear coat. You will need to follow up with quality clear coat safe products.

Nextime use Meguiars.

Go to the store and pick up a bottle of Ultimate Compound and a microfiber applicator and apply the product per the instructions using firm pressure the entire time while applying until the compound starts to go clear or dry up. This product works wonders by hand and will absolutely clear up your paint.

All Meguiars current over the counter products are clearcoat safe.

If you a big fan of the paste style rubbing compound, Meguiars makes one of those as well. But they responsibly made it clearcoat safe considering the average guy trusts the products on the market currently to work on there cars they purchase currently as well. It only makes sense.

Turtle wax should be ashamed and should either pull this product off the market or make it clearcoat safe. Even if you follow there full instructions and matching polishing compound product, it still looks like hell on clearcoat paint. Even with decent technique.

Like Mike Phillips has said, in the old days they used to replace scratch's with products that caused there own scratches. Then they would cover that up with a wax and call it a good job.

Turtle wax rubbing compound is one of those products that is ancient.

-------------------------------

aside from my rant,

the best and fastest solution to your problem is a trip to the store, along with 10 dollars to buy a bottle of this,

Meguiars Ultimate Compound, polishing compound, rubbing compound, meguiars rubbing compound, meguires, meguiars polish, auto compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html)

mg6045
06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
We will need some more answers before we can really help you but I am sure we can get you steered in the right direction.

Wash, Clay, Compound, Polish, Seal, Wax

Those are the basic steps without getting to in depth.

If he used this product by machine theres a good chance theres no paint left on the vehicle. no joke.

Meticulous-Detail
06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
My bud did the same thing to his truck and I was able to get out the white spots with Meg's D151 which is an AIO with great cut.

Take everyone's advice and stick with clear coat safe products. I would wash,clay then polish and wax. If you have a DA you will get quicker and better results.

Perfections
06-10-2012, 04:45 PM
This product should not be used on clear coat paint systems. The formula was made for single stage paint. Its trash's clear coat. You will need to follow up with quality clear coat safe products.

Nextime use Meguiars.

Go to the store and pick up a bottle of Ultimate Compound and a microfiber applicator and apply the product per the instructions using firm pressure the entire time while applying until the compound starts to go clear or dry up. This product works wonders by hand and will absolutely clear up your paint.

All Meguiars current over the counter products are clearcoat safe.

If you a big fan of the paste style rubbing compound, Meguiars makes one of those as well. But they responsibly made it clearcoat safe considering the average guy trusts the products on the market currently to work on there cars they purchase currently as well. It only makes sense.

Turtle wax should be ashamed and should either pull this product off the market or make it clearcoat safe. Even if you follow there full instructions and matching polishing compound product, it still looks like hell on clearcoat paint. Even with decent technique.

Like Mike Phillips has said, in the old days they used to replace scratch's with products that caused there own scratches. Then they would cover that up with a wax and call it a good job.

Turtle wax rubbing compound is one of those products that is ancient.

-------------------------------

aside from my rant,

the best and fastest solution to your problem is a trip to the store, along with 10 dollars to buy a bottle of this,

Meguiars Ultimate Compound, polishing compound, rubbing compound, meguiars rubbing compound, meguires, meguiars polish, auto compound polish (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html)

He states that paint came off while polishing, so probably is single stage. Either way I agree with you, the only time I use that stuff is on a heavily oxidized boat lol

swanicyouth
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Were they still making SS paint in 05?

Perfections
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM

They still make single stage paint today.

mg6045
06-10-2012, 06:34 PM

yes, most 2012 honda's are single stage. toyota still makes a few colors in single stage as well.

mg6045
06-10-2012, 06:35 PM
He states that paint came off while polishing, so probably is single stage. Either way I agree with you, the only time I use that stuff is on a heavily oxidized boat lol

your right, I did not read his post well enough before posting (something I usually make a habit of doing).

Ultimate compound will still work far better though and wont leave a dull finish. :xyxthumbs:

RTexasF
06-10-2012, 06:40 PM
yes, most 2012 honda's are single stage. toyota still makes a few colors in single stage as well.

Real Wrong on the Honda. Taffeta White and one other color I can't recall the name of is it for single stage paint. The vast majority are cleared.

Meticulous-Detail
06-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Single stage with clear or without?

mg6045
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Single stage with clear or without?

Single stage means the paint does not have a clear layer.

mg6045
06-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Real Wrong on the Honda. Taffeta White and one other color I can't recall the name of is it for single stage paint. The vast majority are cleared.

There most popular color sold is that single stage taffeta white. So I dont think i'm that far off base or "real wrong".