PDA

View Full Version : Removed Dye Transfer on Beige Leather

EPA7
06-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Don't know whether I'm lucky or good, but I was a bit upset to see that I had some blue jean dye transfer onto my beige seat leather after the last road trip, even though the jeans had been washed several times. Fortunately I was able to remove it all using 10% Woolite and a boars hair brush. After I cleaned it up, I treated all the leather with Leather Masters Protection Cream, which will hopefully make it easier to remove should it happen again.

judyb
06-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Dye transfer can be removed more easily when done in the early stages. The longer it is left the harder it will be to remove as the dye travels further into the finish on the leather. Using a protector that works correctly will certainly help next time as the dye will sit on the surface.
Judyb

erobertson
06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
All light colored leather is prone to pick up the denim dye. Regular cleaning / treatment will minimize problems. I was at first a bit skeptical but 1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner works great to remove the dye. Be careful in cleaning so as not to remove or scratch the thin layer of coating on the leather. Once that layer is breached either through cracking or excessive wear it becomes much more difficult to keep the leather in good shape.

Waxy
06-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Mild soap & water works for me.

EPA7
06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Mild soap & water works for me.

That was the point of my post. A dilute solution of Woolite surprisingly cleaned things right up.

addysdaddy
09-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Actually I've found Adams polishes leather cleaner works really well to remove "blue jean dye" when applied to a white terry and then gentle scrubbed onto the surface. For leather in good condition, I like using the Ultima Interior Shampoo.

doctordon
09-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Dye transfer can be removed more easily when done in the early stages. The longer it is left the harder it will be to remove as the dye travels further into the finish on the leather. Using a protector that works correctly will certainly help next time as the dye will sit on the surface.
Judyb
:iagree:

judyb
09-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks or your comments - there are iw some great leather protectors available including one with a 12 month guarantee.
Hooe ths hels
Judyb