PDA

View Full Version : First wax of new car: joy & frustration

jtk
06-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I got a new car last week, and today was the first wash & wax (I can't do it in my condo lot, so I have to wait until my parents' driveway is available... otherwise I would have done it last week).

The joy: I managed to not leave swirl marks. It's a dark grey (Graphite Mica) car, and my past experience with a black car and less than optimal techniques made me think I'd have swirls right from the get go. But, I used to use a sponge, a single bucket, old bath towels, etc. This time I used Griot's microfiber mitts and various other microfiber towels, two buckets, Turtle Wax Ice soap, and Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax (on sale @ Target for $9.99 btw) and it worked much better.

The frustration: First, my hose was not long enough (:)). Second, my paint is not perfect (to be expected, but getting up close made me notice more). Third, various equipment let me down: my microfiber drying towel left lint on the car, my other towels were too small (I need a dedicated wax removal towel), and the car wash soap was not the best (but I knew that going in). Also, on my rear bumper there are some white specks that are very hard to remove. Kinda like what you get after driving through rain. I used a wd-40 and reduced the spots a bit, but I felt like I should be using something else and decided to stop. What should I be using on these?

All in all, a good Saturday. I'm happy with the results.

truckbutt
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new car. I suggest you spend a fair amount of time reading the How To section. there are lots of articles to get you started on maintaining your new car.

BobbyG
06-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I got a new car last week, and today was the first wash & wax (I can't do it in my condo lot, so I have to wait until my parents' driveway is available... otherwise I would have done it last week).

The joy: I managed to not leave swirl marks. It's a dark grey (Graphite Mica) car, and my past experience with a black car and less than optimal techniques made me think I'd have swirls right from the get go. But, I used to use a sponge, a single bucket, old bath towels, etc. This time I used Griot's microfiber mitts and various other microfiber towels, two buckets, Turtle Wax Ice soap, and Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax (on sale @ Target for $9.99 btw) and it worked much better.

It sounds like you've started your journey the same way most of us have. By doing a little reading and refining your approach you've raised the bar quite a bit.

While some of the over the counter products are clearly junk if you stick with product names like Meguiar's or Mothers you can generally achieve great results. :props:

The frustration: First, my hose was not long enough (:)).

It happens but it's not your fault..............;)

Second, my paint is not perfect (to be expected, but getting up close made me notice more). Third, various equipment let me down: my microfiber drying towel left lint on the car, my other towels were too small (I need a dedicated wax removal towel), and the car wash soap was not the best (but I knew that going in). Also, on my rear bumper there are some white specks that are very hard to remove. Kinda like what you get after driving through rain. I used a wd-40 and reduced the spots a bit, but I felt like I should be using something else and decided to stop. What should I be using on these?

All in all, a good Saturday. I'm happy with the results.

:welcome: To Autogeek Online!!

Mike Phillips has a great book that clearly explains detailing in an easy to read format outlining each step.

Mike Phillips' The Art of Detailing Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-paperback-book.html)

Basic car care steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Mike has written some great articles, click the link below...

Articles by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)

jtk
06-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys! I read some of those articles before I did anything, and I'm reading a lot more now. Lots of good info here.

Bill1234
06-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Try waxing in a back and forth method. The karate instructor was wrong all along. Second wait till shade is out to wax. Do not use old bath towels. Use the absorber or the california water blade. It is much easier and quicker. Your wax is dry when you are able to put your finger through it and it is clear after your finger wipe.

glen e
06-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I've done a bunch of new cars recently...my goto procedure is very easy and effective. I don't want to spend weekends on a car, too old for that:

1. Clay with ONR lube
2. Blackfire Total polish and seal on an orbital with green CCS pad- this leaves almost no haze
3. Remove with BF poly spray
4. Blackfire crystal seal or BF Wet Diamond
5. Blackfire spray wax or poly spray

I like Wolfgang and ultima stuff too...

Done , BF spreads so easily it's a treat to work with.