PDA

View Full Version : Question about my new Porter Cable 7424

brig2221
03-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I just got a Porter Cable 7424 and am awaiting the delivery of my Edge Pad system along with Poorboys SSR2.5.

In the meantime, I finally decided to play around with it a bit, and I have a couple questions.

First question. My porter cable came delivered with a 5" backing plate already screwed in that states "use 5 inch pads only". It also came with a 6" backing plate that states "use 6 inch pads only". I went ahead and removed the backing plate and don't have one screwed into place at the moment. My first question is, are you supposed to have a backing plate screwed in when using the PC 7424?

Next question. I have seen plenty of videos online showing the PC 7424 in use, and none of them seem to use the screw in handle for the PC. Is there any reason for this?

Lastly, ALL of the videos I have seen of the PC 7424 in action show them starting off on level 2-3 to spread compounds, and then dial up to a 5 or 6 to work the compound in, all the while being held by one hand and seeming very easy to control. When I turned my PC7424 on a second ago, WHOA! The thing felt it was going to completely come apart due to the vibrations of the motor after about level 3, and I don't think there is anyway I could hold it with one hand given those vibrations. It is also loud as can be!

Is mine screwed up, or are they normally that loud and have that much vibration? I just want to insure that I did not pick up a defective unit. Thanks!

budman3
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Congrats on the PC purchase... this is going to be a key tool for sucess in detailing.

The "Backing Plate" that says to use 5" pads only is actually a counter weight which is a metal half circle piece that screws into the head. DO NOT REMOVE THIS!!! This is your vibrating situation if you removed it!! You can put the 6" counterweight in for best use with the Edge pads (since they are 6". This is made to smooth out the vibrations....

As for the handle... I left mine on there because I like to use it on horizontal surfaces but on verticle surfaces I hold it by the head. Just user preference. I also leave it on to keep the pads from touching the ground when I lay it down on the ground as well.

sparkie
03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
No yours it not screw up, when you have it on the paint there will be less vibration. Mine had the 5.5" backing plate and 6" LC pads. Now I'm using the Edge 2K system. The handle, you can take it off or leave it on. When I first got mine I left it on until I got the hang of it.

ScottB
03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
use the extra handle till you get a "handle" on it, then you can use without. Dont worry about backing plates, the Edge system does NOT use one but an adapter.

brig2221
03-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow, I messed up, I meant that I got two COUNTERWEIGHTS with the PC7424, not backing plates.

I did in fact remove the 5" COUNTERWEIGHT that it came shipped with. I have since put on the 6" Counterweight. It does not fit or attach onto the PC nearly as snug as the original 5" counterweight.

Does that matter at all, I am worried? What counterweight will be the best for my 6" Edge pads? Thanks!

ScottB
03-29-2007, 08:12 PM
no difference in counterweights ever found, many have both and stopped using one (toss coin) many years ago.

budman3
03-29-2007, 08:22 PM
How does the PC feel turned on with the counter weight? Big difference I can imagine. Once you get the pads on the car the vibrations won't be that bad. Plus you won't have to worry about the pads being uncentered with the Edge pads.

Meghan
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
no difference in counterweights ever found, many have both and stopped using one (toss coin) many years ago.
:iagree: