PDA

View Full Version : Comments - Cyclo DoublePrecision™ Pads

dennish
03-29-2007, 06:36 PM
This are the ones with the quick change system. Anyone tried them or have any comments on them or experience using with the Cyclo? Thinking about purchasing the white, green, orange pads?

justin_murphy
03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
This are the ones with the quick change system. Anyone tried them or have any comments on them or experience using with the Cyclo? Think about purchasing the white, green, orange pads?

I will have a Cyclo in a few days. I will be using the EDGE2K system. Expect full reviews.

I felt this setup at Detail Fest. Simply was so smooth that I didn't even know it was on.

qadsan
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I just bought & received a complete set of these 4" pads and the new 6" red wave pad from AG to compliment all my other Edge pads. I'll be using these new 4 inch pads tomorrow during the afternoon and much of the evening on our cyclos & rotaries and again on Saturday.

justin_murphy
03-29-2007, 08:46 PM
I just bought & received a complete set of these 4" pads and the new 6" red wave pad from AG to compliment all my other Edge pads. I'll be using these new 4 inch pads tomorrow during the afternoon and much of the evening on our cyclos & rotaries and again on Saturday.

We?

Do you own a shop or mobile setup?

I'd love to hear more.

Nica
03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
I also ordered the entire set too, they look so convinient. I intend on using them on the PC or my Rotary. Can't wait to recieve them. I'm seriously considering purchasing a Cyclo as well. I've heard great things from everyone who has used it.

nick19
03-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a 4" white pad for use with paste waxes, and I LOVE it! Ultra-soft pad, and pits snug in almost every jar of paste wax. :applause:

qadsan
03-29-2007, 10:57 PM
We?

Do you own a shop or mobile setup?

I'd love to hear more.
Hi Justin. I have a couple small businesses I own and have a stake in, none of which were involved specifically with detailing about 5 years ago. My careers were in systems engineering and investment analysis, but it was custom paint & body work that was one of the jobs that helped put me through school many years ago. I’ve been doing this kind of work on and off for ~25+ years either through a friend’s shop or on my own. It seems I can never get away from this kind of work, probably because I enjoy it just as I enjoy welding, lead work, fabricating, etc. One of my businesses that I started for my oldest son ended up being more seasonal than I imagined, so I started filling the summers for him with some detailing work and this pulled me back into detailing again. Our off road business put us in a unique spot in that we service more race trailers & motor homes than anything else when it comes to detailing work, although we're starting to do more vehicles through my property management business. Most of the work is mobile, but I do have a large gated area on my properly where I sometimes bring motor homes and trailers to work on. During the summers, I've been hiring + training temporary labor for detailing work and that has worked out both good and bad. Towards the end of a year, we switch gears again and detailing takes the back seat to the needs of our off road business, although that could change in later years. If the detailing business continues to do well over the course of the next several years, I may not renew the lease to my tenant who operates a clothing store from one of my buildings and have considered selling detailing supplies via retail and possibly using the back parking lot to stage mobile detailing operations from. It's a long ways off and I never thought things would be as busy as they are, but it’s something I keep swirling around in my mind as each year gets busier.

dennish
03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
We just placed a order for the white, green and orange for the Cyclo. I notice for the PC the green and orange are reversed and the green is more aggressive then orange. What's up with that? You would think they would be the same between the PC and Cyclo.

qadsan
03-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I got a chance to use the green Cyclo pads today. I had planned to do an older white Toyota 4 Runner completely with the Cyclo, but the customer called and gave me a new time constraint. I had to change my plans and work quickly and agressive with a rotary instead of doing everything with the cyclo.

It was a 1991 Toyota 4 Runner with original single stage white paint. I started out with cleaning the wheels, dressing the tires + trim, washing, claying, and measuring the paint thickness. Then I made 2 passes on the rotary at ~1,500 RPM with the green Edge 6" pads using Einzette Pasta Intensiv and then 2 passes with the blue Edge 6" pads at ~1,800 RPM using Enizette Hochglanz Politur polish. This got rid of a lot of the halo scratches, pits, etc. It was far from perfect and needed more work, but I was running out of time. I pulled out the cyclo and finished with the green Edge 4" pads with Optimum Poli-Seal. After a quick wipedown, I quickly sealed it with Duragloss Total Performance Polish. I could have left it with just the Poli-Seal and it would have been good to go, but I know the DG TPP is good for 6+ months and this customer needs all the protection they can get for a trip they're starting tomorrow morning.

The Cyclo is a fairly smooth machine to begin with compared to a PC without Edge pads, but its even smoother with the Edge pads. In fact, it makes one handed operation easier than ever. I've got a couple cyclos that we use and I'll definitely be dedicating another one to the Edge system very shortly. Even if you don't have a Cyclo, the 4" Edge pads are a great addition to have for use with the PC or rotary.

I always hate to give back a vehicle that I feel isn't finished, but the customer loved the outcome even though I could still see plenty of halo scratching and pitting. I didn't even get the chance to wipe all the splatter from the tires and mud flaps as the customer showed up even earlier than they said they would and they didn't want to wait for me to do it.

I wish I could offer more experience with the Cyclo pads, but the customer changed my time table and I barely finished as is. I'm taking the Cyclo along with me tonight just incase I get a chance to play with it more, but tonights work involves lots of grinding and some lead work on the rear quarter panel that I replaced on a 69 Cougar for another customer.