PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat 2.0 prep

mvanbv00
06-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I am going to be coating my car (2003 Civic) and my friends car (2007 G5) with OC 2.0 within the next week or two. I am worried about getting all of the oils off of the paint before application of OC. I have polished a portion of the trunk before with Meguairs D300 and a microfiber pad and then finished up with Ultimate Polish. UP provided quite an improvement in gloss over just the D300, so I want to use UP (or D301) if possible. I understand UP and D301 contain a lot of polishing oils that will cause the OC to not bond properly.

1. Will IPA at about 20% dilution clean all of the polishing oils off of the paint well enough for the OC to bond?
2. I have Megs APC+ and ONR. Can the APC+ be used instead on the paint to help get the oils off? Could I do an ONR wash? Will the polymers in ONR prevent OC from bonding?
3. Should I just use a different polish instead of UP? I also have D301. Would that be better to use? If I use a different polish besides those two, I will have to buy it OTC.

Washing the car again with dawn to get polishing oils off is not really an option because the well water at my house is dirty and will swirl the paint if I wash again when I dry the car.

truckbutt
06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I am going to be coating my car (2003 Civic) and my friends car (2007 G5) with OC 2.0 within the next week or two. I am worried about getting all of the oils off of the paint before application of OC. I have polished a portion of the trunk before with Meguairs D300 and a microfiber pad and then finished up with Ultimate Polish. UP provided quite an improvement in gloss over just the D300, so I want to use UP (or D301) if possible. I understand UP and D301 contain a lot of polishing oils that will cause the OC to not bond properly.

1. Will IPA at about 20% dilution clean all of the polishing oils off of the paint well enough for the OC to bond?
2. I have Megs APC+ and ONR. Can the APC+ be used instead on the paint to help get the oils off? Could I do an ONR wash? Will the polymers in ONR prevent OC from bonding?
3. Should I just use a different polish instead of UP? I also have D301. Would that be better to use? If I use a different polish besides those two, I will have to buy it OTC.

Washing the car again with dawn to get polishing oils off is not really an option because the well water at my house is dirty and will swirl the paint if I wash again when I dry the car.
You can use:
DuPont Prep Sol
Klean Strip Prep All
Mineral Spirits
IPA will work but it can damage your paint by making it swell.

Mobile detail
06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
You can't use d301 because its a wax. I will write everything down with prep sol before I apply the coating. Do a wash with some apc or OPC and you'll be fine.I think I remember Chris saying you can use one.for a finishing polish I would use m205 or menzerna p106 or 85rd.I don't use ipa medusae I always instill swirls when I wipe with out

mvanbv00
06-08-2012, 09:53 PM
You can use:
DuPont Prep Sol
Klean Strip Prep All
Mineral Spirits
IPA will work but it can damage your paint by making it swell.

That was one of my concerns with IPA. Can I get any of those at Autozone, Advance Auto, or even WalMart?

mvanbv00
06-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Nevermind. I looked it up and I can get some Klean Strip Prep All at walmart or autozone

Thanks for your help