PDA

View Full Version : Wax or sealant first?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SIXTY3
06-08-2012, 02:21 AM
I have just recently bought some CG 5050 Concourse paste wax.
I usually do a coat of CG Blacklight followed by a coat of V7. Would I apply the 5050 before Zaino ZCS spray sealant or after?

magna_power
06-08-2012, 02:37 AM
It's generally sealant, then wax, I believe. See the flow chart for more info ;)

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

sleker
06-08-2012, 02:42 AM
I have no clue I woul have thought ud use one or the other.... And if u did use both id wax last cuz it always seems to be Last cuz its like the protectant. Im gonna look more into this cuz im wondering now and ill repost if some one else has not.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using AG Online

insigner
06-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Definetly sealant first. Possible oils from wax won't help the sealant bond onto surface.

SIXTY3
06-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I actually did a coat of Blacklight then CG 5050 wax first followed by a coat of Zaino ZCS sealant. I think I'll do another coat of 5050 then more V7 tommorow, don't think it will look much better than it already does maybe a little more protection.

Magna power you need to invest in these Aquatouch Ultimate Microfibre Kit (http://www.waxit.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=542&category_id=30&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)
All you will need in microfiber

crackervol
06-08-2012, 04:09 AM
lay down the sealant first because it's usually a polymer or synthetic and lasts longer
then comes the wax. wax (carnuba) does't last as long, but creates a differant "better" shine and can be layered

Ohio Detailing
06-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I've heard it both ways around the forum... I've ever had people say to put down glaze, and then a sealant to 'lock' the glaze in and make it last longer and be more durable - although I would think the oils from the glaze would somehow interfere with the sealant properly curing?

crackervol
06-09-2012, 01:05 AM
dynamic, you're basicly right about the glaze. glaze is a "temorary" thing,...like before a car show or to throw that quick shine down. so covering it with a sealant will lock the gaze in a little longer

crackervol
06-09-2012, 01:07 AM
oh, BTW sixty3...let us know what you think of the 5050
is it worth the $$$ ?

Ohio Detailing
06-09-2012, 01:18 AM
dynamic, you're basicly right about the glaze. glaze is a "temorary" thing,...like before a car show or to throw that quick shine down. so covering it with a sealant will lock the gaze in a little longer

Ok, this is honestly one of the single most confusing things to me... so let me see if I can get this straight once and for all:

1. Sealants work BEST and are INTENDED to be applied DIRECTLY to the clear coat, on freshly cleaned paint with NO waxes, glazes, or old wold sealant underneath, right?

2. BUT... sealants CAN ALSO be used to put OVER other items like Glazes or Waxes for example, to extend the life of whatever is below them, it just won't be able to bond directly to the paint in this situation, but will still render the same crisp detail and gloss, along with the durable protection and longevity... it just won't be curing and bonding directly to the paint!?

Feed back please

AutowerxDetailing
06-09-2012, 01:24 AM
I see a lot of posts about "topping" sealants and waxes with other waxes. If you are going to layer your products you definitely want to lay down the sealant first. A straight carnauba wax isn't going to last as long but some people like the added depth and warmth it gives the paint. Most sealants are designed to bond directly to paint or on top of the same sealant. Anything else in between the paint and the sealant is going to shorten the life span of the product. Likewise with wax.

So, you may be getting a little more depth or gloss by layering but I don't think you are adding a whole lot more durability. My personal preference is to wash/clay/polish/chemically stip the paint with 12% IPA, then sealant or wax. IMO this gives lets the LSP do it's job which is form a strong bond with clean paint and create shine and lasting protection.

Ohio Detailing
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Ok, this is honestly one of the single most confusing things to me... so let me see if I can get this straight once and for all:

1. Sealants work BEST and are INTENDED to be applied DIRECTLY to the clear coat, on freshly cleaned paint with NO waxes, glazes, or old wold sealant underneath, right?

2. BUT... sealants CAN ALSO be used to put OVER other items like Glazes or Waxes for example, to extend the life of whatever is below them, it just won't be able to bond directly to the paint in this situation, but will still render the same crisp detail and gloss, along with the durable protection and longevity... it just won't be curing and bonding directly to the paint!?

Feed back please

I see a lot of posts about "topping" sealants and waxes with other waxes. If you are going to layer your products you definitely want to lay down the sealant first. A straight carnauba wax isn't going to last as long but some people like the added depth and warmth it gives the paint. Most sealants are designed to bond directly to paint or on top of the same sealant. Anything else in between the paint and the sealant is going to shorten the life span of the product. Likewise with wax.

So, you may be getting a little more depth or gloss by layering but I don't think you are adding a whole lot more durability. My personal preference is to wash/clay/polish/chemically stip the paint with 12% IPA, then sealant or wax. IMO this gives lets the LSP do it's job which is form a strong bond with clean paint and create shine and lasting protection.

So Sealants "CAN" be used over a glaze and over a wax... as long as the BASE protective coating is applied directly to the paint?

EXAMPLE:
-Sealant
-Glaze
-Sealant
-LSP Carnauba
-Sealant

Each layer of sealant will lock in the weaker layer of protection and make it last long/more durable?

Lastly... 12% IPA? I thought something like Chemical Guy's Red Citrus Wash would easily strip all wax and sealants from the paint?

truckbutt
06-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Sealants are best applied directly to a perfectly prepped surface that has been stripped of all contaminants with something like Klean Strip Prep All or DuPont Prep Sol. That allows the sealant to bond to the paint and will give you the best durability. Usually most seants get a second coat spaced 12-24 hours apart to allow the sealant to cure. You are then free to apply any non cleaner wax you want for a carnauba shine. As far as glazes, there is no standard definition for the term glaze. Some are designed to be applied only before a wax/sealant and others before or after. Some even have some paint protection properties and can be used as an LSP, like CG Cream Glaze with Acrylic Shine. If your car is prepped well, you shouldn't need a glaze. Now, many people do apply a glaze before a sealant to hide minor swirls. The trade off is reduced durability of the sealant.
It is always a good practice to follow the manufacturer's recommendations when using any sealant. Some are more forgiving then others.

Ohio Detailing
06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Now, many people do apply a glaze before a sealant to hide minor swirls. The trade off is reduced durability of the sealant.

Nice Mustang.

So, sealants CAN be applied in any order, such as on-top of a glaze that is applied before anything else to hide swirls after an IPA wipe-down/strip, but the longevity of the sealant will be affected, NOTHING TO DO WITH PROPER CURING OR ULTIMATE RESULT AND SHINE!?

That is ALWAYS what I thought. I honestly don't care at all about longevity, I like to re-do my car often, I just always thought if sealants weren't applied DIRECTLY to freshly stripped and prepped paint, they wouldn't bond and cure properly, and it would make the product itself appear cloudy or streaky, and it wouldn't be able to flash/cure.

If you're saying sealants will still perform optimally and produce the same awesome visual results on the paint, they just won't last AS long, then awesome, I actually like that! :)

rustytruck
06-09-2012, 09:55 AM
You should use one or the other. They both do the same thing. Your wasting time money and product using them both. The defenition of a glaze or polish (glaze/polish are the same thing) is a product that contains no protection. There would never be any wax in a polish/glaze. After using a polish/glaze product you would then want to protect the shine with a wax(natural) or sealant(manmade) I'm not sure the second layer would even stick to the first. Nothing sould stick to a freshly waxed car if your using a half way decent product.