PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Process/DG and PB Products

BTLew81
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I have DG 105 on my car now. Lots of things I like about it, but in search of something new to try. I am going to try some Sonax Premium Paint cleaner to remove the DG, followed by PB White Diamond. Questions are:

-Do you think the Sonax will remove the DG?
-Top the PB WD with 845 or DG 105? I am thinking the 845, as 105 might negate the WD.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated, as always!

BTLew81
06-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Come one...someone take a crack at this! :)

TornadoRed
06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
How are you going to apply the Sonax paint cleaner, hand or machine?

BTLew81
06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Machine for sure

BTLew81
06-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Bumping this back up. Any thoughts

bmwgalore
06-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Yes, you can top the Poorboy's glazes with ANY wax, but it must be a pure wax, no cleaning abilities at all!
I've been topping by Black Hole glaze with FK1000p, lasts 3 to 4 months!
Just make sure you do at least 4 passes with the glaze, let it cure overnight and apply the wax next day with a soft Blue pad.

Some sealants also work fine with glazes, but check the bottle first, if it says "the surface must be free of oils and polishes before application", then it's a NO NO..

As for DG, I don't know nothing about their line of products.

Shortspark
06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I asked pretty much this same question in an email to Duragloss recently. I use both PoorBoys and Duragloss products but never together. I just bought a new Mercedes ML350 which has a rock hard German paint called "Diamond White". It is stunning to say the least and should be as it was a very expensive option. The finish is flawless and a glaze is usually not used on perfect paint, however, I thought PoorBoy's "White Diamond" would enhance the depth and color with the gloss coming from the Duragloss 105 Polish. Longevity would be assured by using the Duragloss bonding agent (601) between the glaze and the polish/sealant. I have used the 601/105 combination on my silver pick up truck several times before and it is excellent but I never used them over the White Diamond glaze. In fact, I have never used the glaze at all.

Because of the bonding issues that could be present, I decided the best thing to do would be to contact Duragloss directly by email. Jerry at Duragloss wrote back saying that indeed a glaze would probably not be necessary on this new paint. In any event, if I used the glaze it could interfere with the bonding agent (601). I suppose I could just use 105 alone over the glaze but it works so well with the bonding agent that I would like to use them together for the added durability. 105 is good but with the bonding agent applied beforehand (or mixed together) it is great.

Based on what Duragloss said, if I decide to use the White Diamond glaze, I will not use it in conjunction with these specific Duragloss products. Rather, I will use the totally compatible PoorBoys World EX-Sealant w/Carnauba over the glaze. Then, in about four or five months or so, I will strip all of this and use nothing but the Duragloss 601/105 and topped with AquaWax (951). I will keep the White Diamond glaze out of the picture entirely. I will compare the two processes for length of service and durability as well as appearance.

stibuki
06-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Among other things #106 also has cleaning properties along with #105's mild cleaning properties I would not use it as a topper for White Diamond as it will most defiantly remove some of the glaze. How much would depend on hand or machine application and pad type. If you want to use what you already have on hand then 845 would be fine as it has no cleaning properties. Sonax paint cleaner will defiantly remove the #601/#105 combo.

bobble
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
The DG products mentioned have some cleaning ability and will most likely remove the PB glaze. If you want a cleaner try 501 then 105 both with 601. If you want the glaze use a non cleaning LSP like the 845 you mentioned. My DD has 501/601 topped with 105/601 topped with 845. It's a white truck and that lasts almost a year with that setup, use 951 every other wash on it as well.

The Sonax paint cleaner will remove the DG as it has cleaning ability, I'd make a couple passes to be sure.

If you use the glaze let it cure for as long as the manufacturer states then top it with the 845.