PDA

View Full Version : Longest you've kept a car scratch-free?

Pages : [1] 2

SR99
06-07-2012, 06:58 PM
What's the longest you've been able to keep a new or freshly polished car free of micro scratches? (Show cars that don't get driven don't count)

timaishu
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Over a year and a half and counting.

Acutally, I am polishing my car again a few panels at a time to prep it for opti-coat. My intent isnt swirl removal though, but more so getting it as glossy as possible before hand. I have found a few isolated spots that I missed the first time around door handles and other tight spots. But on the spots where I did remove swirls, no new swirls have been added.

rider9195
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Usually after winter and during spring there is some light micro marring on my paint. Hard to notice due to the metallic flake, but a paint cleaner like Wolfgang Polish Enhancer fills those in and refresher the paint.

MadMerc
06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Can't answer this. I don't want to jinx myself!

SR99
06-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Over a year and a half and counting.

Impressive!
I imagine it's hard to break a year in places with a lot of wet/snowy weather.

rider9195
06-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Something to take into account is the color of the car. Having a lighter color car such as silver, white, or gold the micro marring won't show up as easily or even at all. With darker colors like red, blue, and black this paint shows more imperfections without having to look that hard.

david79z28
06-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I bought my 2010 Pewter Silverado in July of 2010.

Swirl free till this day. It has 36k miles now.

Rsurfer
06-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Can you get your paint glossy and leave the swrils behind?

[QUOTE=timaishu;688615] My intent isnt swirl removal though, but more so getting it as glossy as possible before hand.

kronos
06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
About as long as the first wash after polishing.

Bill1234
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Having a black car, everything shows, you might ever consider yourself sherlock homes when you are able to spot so many scratches with ease

RoyalBlUE08
06-07-2012, 08:36 PM
well for those of who have swirl free for such a long time. i highly doubt its parked outside 24/7 like my car. my car stayed swirl free for only 3 weeks before i started seeing them again :( harsh NY environment. between all the road debri, dirty roads, construction, trees, etc.

timaishu
06-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Something to take into account is the color of the car. Having a lighter color car such as silver, white, or gold the micro marring won't show up as easily or even at all. With darker colors like red, blue, and black this paint shows more imperfections without having to look that hard.

Thats true. My car is sort of a darker pewter gold. Do I have some micromarring? Maybe.

But I know swirls on my car siwrls can be seen because the first time I ever compounded, I forgot to do the roof rails, and the swirls on it are very noticeable. I cannot see anything on the main body panels.

well for those of who have swirl free for such a long time. i highly doubt its parked outside 24/7 like my car. my car stayed swirl free for only 3 weeks before i started seeing them again harsh NY environment. between all the road debri, dirty roads, construction, trees, etc.

My car has never been in a garage. I think part of it has to do with my environment, all I have to deal with is sun and dust. Also my OCD wash technique. I do the two bucket method, sheepskin wash pad. For ever panel single panel, I do half with one side, then half with the other. Then it goes in the rinse bucket and I scrub both sides against the grit guard.

glen e
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Mine a 2009, scratch free...but Florida weather, garage kept, always hand wash, less than 10k miles a year...

Armenakadino
06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
A day literally. But in all seriousness not very long my paint is black and shows all. On top of that it's a super soft Honda paint any wipe with a towel instills swirls.

timaishu
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Here is my door. Havnt polished it in over a year. This was after I just washed and claybarred it. The other side of my car didnt look this well. I had some swirling near the top of the door by the side mirror. So I know I can see swirls in my paint. This door just doesnt have any. Woot!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing%20Stuff/P1050775.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing%20Stuff/P1050774.jpg