PDA

View Full Version : Micro scratches in clear coat

Pages : [1] 2

thebouncer
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a car that is 3 months old it looks great except when it is in the sun and certain other light you can see straight lined scratches or what looks like chicken scratches or semi circular scratches in the clear coat. I have ALWAYS hand washed and dried using only microfiber cloths. I don't understand where all the scratches keep coming from.

I had attempted to fix this using a PC DA Buffer and Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I spent almost 5 hours :buffing:just using ultimate compound and went through almost an entire bottle following it up with Ultimate Polish. I then used Vitreo as the wax (which I must say it looks nice but man is it ridiculously difficult to get it all off (very greasy)

Some of the scratches disappeared but their are still more left. I am wondering what can I use since Meguiars Ultimate had mediocre results ? I've tried going back to the dealer which they won't fix the issue they are afraid to buff it saying it will make things worse...

Several months back I looked at the Blackfire products but I ended up going with Meguiars due to cost and I wanted the scratches out ASAP. I was going to order it this weekend but now I am not sure that this is good enough to get rid of the scratches most are in the clearcoat and have not gotten down into the paint yet.

I have Yellow Finishing Pads and Black Finishing Pads (Both Meguiars) as well

Suggestions ?

truckbutt
06-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Every time you wipe your car down with a QD or wash it, you can instill small scratches. Eventually you get what you have. They are thousands of random small scratches that look like a spider web. I suggest you use the UC on a polishing pad. Try it on a 16x16 area first-test spot. Don't move on to any other area until you are satisfied that the scratches are gone on the test spot. If UC on a polishing pad doesn't work, try it on a light cutting pad. If that doesn't work, you will need a more aggressive product like M105. Before that though are you putting 10-15 lbs of pressure on the DA as you work? You want enough pressure for defect removal (passion) but not enough to make the pad stop rotating. Are you working at speed 5-6?
1. Test spot.
2. Right pad and product
3. Adequate pressure.
4. Adequate speed.
Good luck!

BobbyG
06-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is good over the counter product. It's not as aggressive as its Meguiar's M105 counterpart but typically does a great job.

It appears that you used only finishing pads and not a cutting pad which could be part of the problem. Based on the pads and product you used I suspect you saw improvement but didn't reach your ultimate goal.

I'm curious why the dealer didn't jump all over this and sock you with a $400 to $500 charge? The reason they gave you is pure BS but that's typical form a dealership...

I would look at using a cutting pad on your polisher and work on a smaller section until you're seeing some acceptable results. A more aggressive product might also help but be careful, if your quest is for a perfect finish you may push the limit on the film thickness and end up worse off.

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that might help you sort through things..

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
DA Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)
Waxing With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-how-machine-apply-wax-using-da-polisher.html)
How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)
DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html)
How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html)

Mike Phillips
06-07-2012, 02:29 PM
I have a car that is 3 months old it looks great except when it is in the sun and certain other light you can see straight lined scratches or what looks like chicken scratches or semi circular scratches in the clear coat.

What kind of car?

Sometime tonight I'll try to do a dedicated demo for technique using a DA Polisher, maybe the 3401 and the Rotary Buffer, just depends upon timing as Yancy has to step out for an errand and while he's gone the camera will be on but stationary.

We will be broadcasting this machine polishing clinic live!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/LIVE-feed-button-banner.jpg (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/showcargarage/livefeed.html)

Check it out...

:)

Largebore
06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is good over the counter product. It's not as aggressive as its Meguiar's M105 counterpart but typically does a great job.

It appears that you used only finishing pads and not a cutting pad which could be part of the problem. Based on the pads and product you used I suspect you saw improvement but didn't reach your ultimate goal.

I'm curious why the dealer didn't jump all over this and sock you with a $400 to $500 charge? The reason they gave you is pure BS but that's typical form a dealership...

I would look at using a cutting pad on your polisher and work on a smaller section until you're seeing some acceptable results. A more aggressive product might also help but be careful, if your quest is for a perfect finish you may push the limit on the film thickness and end up worse off.

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that might help you sort through things..

Sectional Pass With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/24074-show-car-garage-video-how-do-section-pass-when-machine-polishing-da-polisher.html)
Removing Swirls (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html)
DA Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)
Waxing With a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-how-machine-apply-wax-using-da-polisher.html)
How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)
DA Polisher Articles - Help for Newbies to Machine Polishing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html)
How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html)

Other than a paint guage, how do you know when you pushed the limit?
My car is a magnet for scratches.. Jet black BMW. The finish is like a mirror but underneath it all are straight scratches as well as myriad RIDS appearing as swirls of different sorts. I have hit the paint at least 5 times over time with Menzerna Power Gloss and a Yellow pad. I just do not know if I should continue to work on the scratches and RIDS or just keep ten feet away from the car and admire the shine.

thebouncer
06-07-2012, 02:51 PM
2012 Dodge Charger Blackberry Pearl (Dark blue metallic flaked type paint)

I pushed as hard as I could on the DA until the Hood and trunk were pratically flexing it didn't slow down the DA at all

I had it at 5000 RPMs 5500 RPMs and 6000 RPMs... the pads were Meguiars Black and Yellow Pads, what color pads should I get and should I get Meguiars or someone elses ? I have a 5" velcro backing plate.

I worked a 2 x 2 area moving up then down then up and down in an overlapping "ununun" style and then side to side the same way keeping the pad flat to the car. I worked the areas of the hood and trunk almost 4 times with the UC using the above method.

Is their any way to avoid scratches???
This paint seems "soft" (easily scratched)

What would be more aggresive then Meguiars UC without going through the clear coat or thining it out too much ?

When I got done buffing the car the surface was so slick and soft like it was insane but it still didn't get rid of the scratches.

truckbutt
06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
2012 Dodge Charger Blackberry Pearl (Dark blue metallic flaked type paint)

I pushed as hard as I could on the DA until the Hood and trunk were pratically flexing it didn't slow down the DA at all

I had it at 5000 RPMs 5500 RPMs and 6000 RPMs... the pads were Meguiars Black and Yellow Pads, what color pads should I get and should I get Meguiars or someone elses ? I have a 5" velcro backing plate.

I worked a 2 x 2 area moving up then down then up and down in an overlapping "ununun" style and then side to side the same way keeping the pad flat to the car. I worked the areas of the hood and trunk almost 4 times with the UC using the above method.

Is their any way to avoid scratches???

This paint seems "soft" (easily scratched)

What would be more aggresive then Meguiars UC without going through the clear coat or thining it out too much ?

When I got done buffing the car the surface was so slick and soft like it was insane but it still didn't get rid of the scratches.

Good Test Spot!
Sounds like enough pressure!
Sounds fast enough! Try a polishing (white LC) or light cutting (orange LC)
Totally avoid scratches? No Use good quality towels, don't work dry,work clean, etc.
This paint seems "soft" (easily scratched) Welcome to my world!
What would be more aggresive then Meguiars UC without going through the clear coat or thining it out too much ? Meguiars M105, Menzerna SIP are good products. Bear in mind that when you move to a more aggressive pad and polish you will be removing more clearcoat. Don't use more then the recommended 10-15 pounds of presssure and frequently check your work. If you can't get them out with M105 on a light cutting pad, you could try a Surbuff pad. If that fails, then I would look to somone with experience with a rotary polisher and wool pads.

Largebore
06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Good Test Spot!
Sounds like enough pressure!
Sounds fast enough! Try a polishing (white LC) or light cutting (orange LC)
Totally avoid scratches? No Use good quality towels, don't work dry, etc.
This paint seems "soft" (easily scratched) Welcome to my world!
What would be more aggresive then Meguiars UC without going through the clear coat or thining it out too much ? Meguiars M105, Menzerna SIP are good products. Bear in mind that when you move to a more aggressive pad and polish you will be removing more clearcoat. Don't use more then the recommended 10-15 pounds of presssure and frequently check your work.

ha...me too. I have the mosty highly polished scratches intown!

timaishu
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I think part of the problem is you used wayyyyyyyyy to much product.

You said you used the whole bottle in 5 hours in one session? Ive had my bottle for 2 years and am barely through half.

UC is a great product, you just need to work it right. Use just enough to prime the pad, then 2-3 drops and thats it. Once you feel you need to add more, put another 2-3 drops.

BobbyG
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
My car is a magnet for scratches.. Jet black BMW. The finish is like a mirror but underneath it all are straight scratches as well as myriad RIDS appearing as swirls of different sorts. I have hit the paint at least 5 times over time with Menzerna Power Gloss and a Yellow pad. I just do not know if I should continue to work on the scratches and RIDS or just keep ten feet away from the car and admire the shine.

You really can't tell and that's part of the problem...

From your statement it sounds as if the scratches are under the clear and if this is the case it won't matter how much compounding you do you'll have no affect on them.

thebouncer
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
What LC pads should I get they make a bunch of different ones ?

Is M105 too aggressive for a clearcoat car ?

I currently have Yellow, Black and Red Meguiars Pads

Would the Blackfire system be more aggressive or less aggressive then Meguiars Ultimate Compound?

I am ordering one of the Xenon spot lights tonight so I can take pictures to send to Dodge. I also want to order the pads and the wax, compounds etc. all at the same time so I can save on shipping...

HDDetail
06-15-2012, 12:59 PM
I'd use ultimate compound. M105 is for heavy oxidation.

Sent from my HTC One X using AG Online

swanicyouth
06-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Meg's UC is just that: a compound. It's meant to restore or remove scratches that are beyond a polish. I can't imagine your 3 month old car has scratches / swirls so bad it's not aggressive enough to remove them, especially the way you are caring for it. I think you just need more experience with the polisher. The question then becomes, Do you want to experiment with a polisher on your new car? Polishing with a DA is pretty safe, but you can get yourself into trouble. Do you have access to an older vehicle to spend some time polishing? I would recommend smaller 5.5" pads, they will help but are not required to get results. If your serious about learning this you could: RENT a car for a day. It will cost you 30 bucks. Come up with some silly nonsense excuse why it needs to be a dark/black car. It's likely it will have some swirls/scratches. Wash it and practice all day getting all the swirls and scratches out of that rental. You probably could even rent a car by the same manufacturer as your car. This may increase the likelihood the paint you will be practicing on is similar. Work on a test spot and dial in a feel for product amount, pressure, and arm speed. If your like most, you will have a "Eureka" moment where you will realize you got it and swirls are disappearing. This will give you confidence to work on your car. Keep practicing on the rental until you get it perfect. Practice all day.

Old Tiger
06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
put a coating on it. Then you are removing Coating instead of Clear. Opti Coat is a great choice. An added benefit is that most dirt washes off with a hose so less scratches on the coating.

Paul Mitchell
06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Meg's UC is just that: a compound. It's meant to restore or remove scratches that are beyond a polish. I can't imagine your 3 month old car has scratches / swirls so bad it's not aggressive enough to remove them, especially the way you are caring for it. I think you just need more experience with the polisher. The question then becomes, Do you want to experiment with a polisher on your new car? Polishing with a DA is pretty safe, but you can get yourself into trouble. Do you have access to an older vehicle to spend some time polishing? I would recommend smaller 5.5" pads, they will help but are not required to get results. If your serious about learning this you could: RENT a car for a day. It will cost you 30 bucks. Come up with some silly nonsense excuse why it needs to be a dark/black car. It's likely it will have some swirls/scratches. Wash it and practice all day getting all the swirls and scratches out of that rental. You probably could even rent a car by the same manufacturer as your car. This may increase the likelihood the paint you will be practicing on is similar. Work on a test spot and dial in a feel for product amount, pressure, and arm speed. If your like most, you will have a "Eureka" moment where you will realize you got it and swirls are disappearing. This will give you confidence to work on your car. Keep practicing on the rental until you get it perfect. Practice all day.

Great idea to use a rental car!