PDA

View Full Version : Does Opti Coat Scratch

grambow
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Does OC scratch? I mean, it is not a diamond shell right? I am thinking about applying it but I am a little confused as to what advantage it offers other than protecting the factory finish. If it scratches like clear coat (marring from washing, bugs, etc), and still needs to maintained like clear coat, is it really worth using? I am sure I am just missing something hence this post. Thanks for your help!

travis2375
06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I would like to know the answer to that question as well. Is a OC 2 coating superior to a factory clear coat finish and if so how?

mvanbv00
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
OC is superior to factory clear coat in the sense that it is harder than any clear coat. It will resist scratches and marring better than clear coat, but will not remain scratch free. OC also protects the clear coat from UV exposure, so there is no need to maintain it with waxing. OC simplifies washing and reduces the risk for wash induced marring because it releases contaminants such as dirt easier than any sealant/wax. Less dirt on the surface means less chance of marring from washing.

grambow
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Hmmm. But isnt the reason we are all here is because we actually enjoy waxing? I wonder if applying something that requires less maintenance would take away from my hobby. I know it would certainly take away from my "hobby" of buying every car care product available. ;)

travis2375
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
I hear that. But I think you can still wax over top of OC to get a different look. I dont like the 'permanent' aspect. What if you dont like it?

mvanbv00
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes, that is the major drawback. OC is ideal for people who have a daily driver that they don't want to maintain. You can still top OC with a wax or sealant, but then you lose out on the contaminant releasing properties of OC. Plus a wax or sealant won't last very long on a coat of OC.

I am going to OC my car and a friends car next week. OC is just more practical for me being a college student because I don't have a lot of time to spend on my car during school. I still have my family's cars to detail when I come back home though!

mvanbv00
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
What if you dont like it?

You could start by trying to coat one panel and determining if you like it. If you do, good, finish the rest of the car. If you don't like it you can polish it off that one panel and go back to using whatever LSP you like.

Also, you could try CQ. It isn't as permanent. It is supposed to last up to 2 years. It may have a different look you may like.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
OC/OG:

Reportedly harder than OEM clear
Will help your paint stay cleaner
Will make cleaning easier

Rsurfer
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Good points, but this is not a magic bullet. You still need to watch out for bird bombs, tree sap and water spots.
OC/OG:

Reportedly harder than OEM clear
Will help your paint stay cleaner
Will make cleaning easier

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Good points, but this is not a magic bullet. You still need to watch out for bird bombs, tree sap and water spots.

Good point Ron and one that I make 100% clear to my clients.....

I think this is important for all to realize - OC/OG does not create a magic barrier against everything.. Proper maint should still be adhered to.

Here is how I sell OC/OG:

1) Bring your car to me and lets polish it out to a level that is realistic for you, the customer to maintain - in doing so, we are removing paint

2) After I polish it (remove paint), lets coat it.

If we go the above route, next time you bring your car to me to be polished (unless you had a significant event), we will not be removing paint but instead be removing OG/OC which we will then reaply

KillaCam
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
From what I understand, it's just as easy to swirl the paint with OC?

mvanbv00
06-07-2012, 02:00 PM
From what I understand, it's just as easy to swirl the paint with OC?

Probably not. Since OC releases dirt easier, most (75%+) of the dirt can be removed by pressure spraying. This means that less dirt is on the surface when you are washing, which means less chances for marring the paint. If you use a good washing technique, you should notice reduced swirling. OC is also harder than clear coat which adds to the scratch resistance.

OPTI COAT effortless tar removed.wmv - YouTube
You can see that most of the tar was removed without soap or tar remover. A pressure washer wasn't even used, just a hose with a nozzle.

KillaCam
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
That's pretty impressive, but what about dirt and tar that has dried onto the surface? I'm considering this stuff now the more I hear about it.

mvanbv00
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
That's pretty impressive, but what about dirt and tar that has dried onto the surface? I'm considering this stuff now the more I hear about it.

If dirt dries on the surface you can wash as usual with car wash soap. If tar dries on the surface you can use a dedicated tar remover. The tar remover will not remove the OC as it will remove most waxes/sealants.

dougaross
06-07-2012, 03:42 PM
You could start by trying to coat one panel and determining if you like it. If you do, good, finish the rest of the car. If you don't like it you can polish it off that one panel and go back to using whatever LSP you like.

Also, you could try CQ. It isn't as permanent. It is supposed to last up to 2 years. It may have a different look you may like.
Good places to try OC - roof(I hate doing my roof), wheels, front, rockers