PDA

View Full Version : Bird poop

wipersup
06-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Good morning fellow bead heads,
I am a newbie and this is my first post. So naturally I'm going to ask about bird poop.
Yesterday I noticed some on the hood of my wifes 3 month old black Nissan Rogue. She told me it had been there for "a couple of days". I attempted to remove it with some QD. It was as hard as concrete, but after several attempts I managed to remove it to the point where what remains can best be described as a bird poop thumb print. I hope this isn't the start of some sort of etching. My question is what are my options for removing it? I have in my arsenal a PC, M105, M205, Ultimate Compound, and Utimate Polish, and a decent selection of both LC and Meguiars pads. Short of using these tools is there anything less drastic that might work?

duck_commander
06-07-2012, 10:24 AM
You might want to start with the least aggressive product and pad first.

Yesterday morning i woke up and was running late for work, when i went to leave i noticed a flock of birds left morning bombs on my car... some of the bombs actually surprised me as to how large they were... LOL... i know.... disturbing!

well i couldn't take care of it before work, so it had to stay on my paint all day long until i got home from the gym 14 hours later... instead of attempting the QD and MF trick, i decided to pull the house out of the garage hit the bombs with water, then sprayed a mixture of OPC and water on the bombs and let it dwell for a few minutes and sprayed down with water really well... all the bombs were removed and i did not even have to touch the paint with anything...

FASTFRED
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Good morning fellow bead heads,
I am a newbie and this is my first post. So naturally I'm going to ask about bird poop.
Yesterday I noticed some on the hood of my wifes 3 month old black Nissan Rogue. She told me it had been there for "a couple of days". I attempted to remove it with some QD. It was as hard as concrete, but after several attempts I managed to remove it to the point where what remains can best be described as a bird poop thumb print. I hope this isn't the start of some sort of etching. My question is what are my options for removing it? I have in my arsenal a PC, M105, M205, Ultimate Compound, and Utimate Polish, and a decent selection of both LC and Meguiars pads. Short of using these tools is there anything less drastic that might work?
I would also clay the spot first before polishing.

wipersup
06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
You might want to start with the least aggressive product and pad first.

Yesterday morning i woke up and was running late for work, when i went to leave i noticed a flock of birds left morning bombs on my car... some of the bombs actually surprised me as to how large they were... LOL... i know.... disturbing!

well i couldn't take care of it before work, so it had to stay on my paint all day long until i got home from the gym 14 hours later... instead of attempting the QD and MF trick, i decided to pull the house out of the garage hit the bombs with water, then sprayed a mixture of OPC and water on the bombs and let it dwell for a few minutes and sprayed down with water really well... all the bombs were removed and i did not even have to touch the paint with anything...

Thanks for the advice. Like I said I'm a newbie so I need to ask, what does OPC mean? Also, where I grew up (Brooklyn), MF can mean only one thing. Please tell me what it means in the world of detailing.

duck_commander
06-07-2012, 02:03 PM
LOL... You are welcome... don't worry i'm not calling you a mutha!....

MF -> MicroFiber Car Care Microfiber Towels, Microfiber dusters and microfiber Detailing tools (http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html)

OPC -> Optimum Power Clean Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill New & Improved! (http://www.autogeek.net/128oz-optimum-power-clean-apc.html)

OPC is an APC (All Purpose Cleaner)

jcedorjr
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I've also had good luck following up the quick detailer with Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion to remove any etching/staining left behind by the gift of poop.

Rsurfer
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
It all depends on what the bird was eating. It can be very caustic. Least aggressive method first.