PDA

View Full Version : mothers clay, advice needed. (microfibre)

Pages : [1] 2

magna_power
06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
This may be a weird question, but the microfibre in the mothers clay kit has 2 very different sides to it, which am i suposed to use!?! the soft fluffy side or the firmer less fluffy side?

embolism
06-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't use it on paint, maybe door jambs etc. It's a bit small and thin. Not saying it will scratch necessarily, but it's not the best quality.

Same thing for their lube, I'll use it in a pinch, but I'd rather use ONR as clay lube. Right now, the showtime is in my trunk kit and used in case I get a bird bomb or something...

Mike Phillips
06-07-2012, 09:04 AM
We're using the Mothers Clay System on the 1941 Plymouth Coupe tonight...

1941 Plymouth Coupe & 1968 Big Block Camaro

Starting at 5:00pm we'll be going over tips and techniques for how to create a show car finish by machine on two hot rod coupes. Here's your chance to learn how to machine polish and create a super high gloss, swirl free finish.

We will be broadcasting this machine polishing clinic live!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/LIVE-feed-button-banner.jpg (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/showcargarage/livefeed.html)

Doreen's 1941 Plymouth Coupe
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1465/1941PlymouthCoupe001.jpg

Paul's 1967 SS Big Block Camaro!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/medium/PaulsCamaro002.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

habeba86
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't use it on paint, maybe door jambs etc. It's a bit small and thin. Not saying it will scratch necessarily, but it's not the best quality.

Same thing for their lube, I'll use it in a pinch, but I'd rather use ONR as clay lube. Right now, the showtime is in my trunk kit and used in case I get a bird bomb or something...

The microfiber that comes with the mother kit is not thin at all, its a very nice towel. Maybe the old ones were, but I find the towel nice.

07gtcs
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
This may be a weird question, but the microfibre in the mothers clay kit has 2 very different sides to it, which am i suposed to use!?! the soft fluffy side or the firmer less fluffy side?

No expert here, but I think you want to use the fluffy side.

cleanmycorolla
06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
The microfiber that comes with the mother kit is not thin at all, its a very nice towel. Maybe the old ones were, but I find the towel nice.

I have to agree! The towel that came with my kit is nice, hasn't done harm to my paint when used once in a while.

flyinion
06-07-2012, 01:47 PM
The towel should be just fine, I did the CD scratch test with mine and couldn't detect any issues from it.

KillaCam
06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Only one person has made an attempt to answer his question. But I would believe you could use both sides?

mwoolfso
06-07-2012, 03:21 PM
This may be a weird question, but the microfibre in the mothers clay kit has 2 very different sides to it, which am i supposed to use!?! the soft fluffy side or the firmer less fluffy side?

The first wipe should be with the fluffy side since that if where you want to capture the lube since contaminants may be in the liquid. You may not ever need to go to the firmer side since you are claying. I will typically use the less fluffy side for the last wipe or two on a section that is not saturated with product. On the other hand with only one soft side you may need more towels.

I still have my Mother's Clay Bar towel and both sides of my towel are fluffy. I still use it to this day. I'm bummed they changed to a cheaper towel.

Bunky
06-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Only one person has made an attempt to answer his question. But I would believe you could use both sides?

Yes you can.

magna_power
06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Ok, cool, thanks heaps, I used the fluffy side when I tried the clay out on my bonnet the other day, I think I was using too much of the lube (showtime detail spray) as the cloth got wet/heavy fast.

Think my issue was not spraying any on the clay, so I'll do both clay and car next time, with a little less on the car.

I assume the less fluffy side would be to buff if you were only using the showtime detail spray??? Maybe?

Mike, thanks for the link, I just caught the last part of the broadcast (at work, naughty naughty), unfortunately being in Australia makes it hard to tune in :(

Bunky
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I assume the less fluffy side would be to buff if you were only using the showtime detail spray??? Maybe?

It is really more important to fold the towel properly and keep using a dry side by flipping it to keep one part of the towel from getting too saturated.

If you have problems with wipe off, try use two towels: one for the initial wipe to remove excess and then a dryer towel to remove residue. Wipe slowly with a light touch so there is time for the towel to absorb the Showtime. If you wipe too hard, you will just transfer some back.

SON1C
06-07-2012, 08:26 PM
i think the towels supplied are pretty high quality to be thrown into an otc kit, i like them.

timaishu
06-07-2012, 09:21 PM
i think the towels supplied are pretty high quality to be thrown into an otc kit, i like them.

Same here, I was surprised with the towel. The one that came with my meguiars kit 2 years ago was junk though, felt very cheap.

SON1C
06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
i don't care for megs too much, besides their detailer line and 105/205, ultimate compound is good as well