PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy? I've been using Meg's A12 PASTE Cleaner Wax with a DA

davidc11291
06-07-2012, 04:25 AM
A couple of months ago I was pondering a chronic problem I have- not using the right amount of liquid product (specifically Meg's D151). I either use way too much and my pad gets heavily saturated too quickly and I burn through A LOT of product, or I use too little and the product doesn't spread out over the face of the pad but just kind of absorbs into the pad in whatever spot I place it, leaving dime size dots all over the face of the pad where it gets smooshed in and not evenly distributed (and this is after I have properly primed the pad with product).

I was thinking about how much easier it is for me when I'm applying a paste wax by DA. I just lightly rub the paste wax over the face of the pad, and I get the perfect amount of product every time, with even product distribution, and I'm not burning through 3 times as much product as I should be.

Plus the paste doesn't saturate the pads like the liquids. The vast majority of it stays on the face of the pad where it can actually work the paint, instead of seeping deep into the pad (I am cleaning my pads every other section).

So I get this idea that the next time I do a 1-step, I'm gonna try using some of the Meg's paste cleaner wax I've got lying around- you know, the stuff in the burgundy can that has been around since the first time bell bottoms were cool. I figure if it doesn't give good results, I've got plenty of 105, 205, and 151 that I can fall back on.

Well, what do you know, it worked. I'm able to use the perfect amount of product every time, and even though it's the old DAT technology, I'm getting some really nice correction when paired with a tangerine hydrotech. As I'm working my sections, I've got my 1,000 watt halogens (and/or outdoor lighting depending on temps) and I see defects fading away.

This is now my go-to combo for DD 1 steps. I was very doubtful that this would actually work. I've hesitated to post this for a while, because initially it sounds completely stupid, and I was embarrassed by the general hillbilly-ness of it all, but ultimately, results are what matter, and this method is giving me a level of results that I'm very happy with in a 1-step....

Thoughts?

Mike Phillips
06-07-2012, 06:11 AM
First, you're right in that the A12 Cleaner/Wax has been around since Bell Bottom Jeans, in both liquid and paste. It was introduced in 1973 and was the first products introduced to create what is now known as the Consumer Line.

Anytime a product has been around that long with little or no advertising is because,

A. It works
B. Word of mouth advertising

You make some really great points about the benefits of a paste version of a cleaner/wax the only thing I would add is if you or anyone is working on a severely neglected finish then I think a liquid can have advantages because the liquid chemical cleaners, lubricants and embodied abrasives, (if any), can more easily penetrate and going to work for versus a drier version of the same product. This would be more true for oxidized finishes where the broken up paint will more readily absorb liquids than solids.

Also, there are what I call "goopy" paste waxes, "creamy" paste waxes and "hard" pastes waxes. Most paste waxes that are also "cleaner/waxes" will be of the goopy or creamy type.

Hard paste waxes are as far as I know, all finishing waxes, that is they have no cleaning ability or at least are not designed to be used as cleaning waxes.

Nice post. Also, I edited your post and hit the [Enter] key after a few sentences to break it up and create what is called "white space". People are more likely to read paragraphs versus a huge chunk of text, especially on a computer monitor.

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
06-07-2012, 06:13 AM
This is an original can of the Meguiar's A12 Cleaner/Wax that I have in my collection.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2Originalcleanerwaxcanandbox2.jpg

This is an original bottle of the A12 Cleaner/Wax that belongs to my friend #### Koeth who passed away last year...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/21973CleanerWaxLiquid.jpg

:)

BillE
06-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I REALLY like, enjoy and use A-12 a LOT.

For me it the right product for those 'touch-up' projects, like power equipment, tool boxes, etc. I've even used it on the quartz counter tops in the kitchen.

For those little spots that you encounter on a car, the chrome areas, license plates and frames, quickie 'road rash' marks, etc...it is a go to product.

Like Mike said, it is one of those products that deliver what it says it does.

Bill

davidc11291
06-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Bill, it really is a great product, isn't it?

Mike, thanks for the edit. I'll keep the concept of white space in mind when making long posts.

I always enjoy seeing your collection of vintage products.

So are there any reasons to not use A12 with a DA? I recognize that there are other products which are probably more effective ( D151, XMT 360, etc) but this is what I'm comfortable with, and I'm wondering if there is some fundamental flaw in this method that I haven't considered.

Btw Mike, thanks for all the invaluable advice.

Mike Phillips
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
So are there any reasons to not use A12 with a DA? I recognize that there are other products which are probably more effective ( D151, XMT 360, etc) but this is what I'm comfortable with, and I'm wondering if there is some fundamental flaw in this method that I haven't considered.

No reason at all, if you're happy with the results and the process that's all that matters...

Btw Mike, thanks for all the invaluable advice.

Always my pleasure... I'm in this for the long run... my job is always the same, help others reach their goals... even if the goal is shiny paint.

:)

truckbutt
06-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I always keep a bottle of A12 in my trunk. The other day a nurse got into a minor swipe and got some white paint transfer on her bumper. The A12 took it off and I made a new friend.

Meticulous-Detail
06-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I love Megs cleaner wax and it works great, but the protection is less desirable. Sometimes I am amazed at the results from Megs cleaner wax.

What I decided to do is combine 2 dime size dots of Megs cleaner wax on my wax spreader (use wax spreader for wash+wax applications) with 2 dime sixe dots of Collonite 845 on a black 6 inch Adams pad. The results are great and the durability is exteneded from 6-8 weeks to 16-20 weeks based on my persoanl vehicles.