PDA

View Full Version : Storing wax and detaling sprays in garage?

Pages : [1] 2

jiverson04
06-07-2012, 04:21 AM
I have bought many different 1 gallon products form wax, sealants quick detailers to APC. My question is I live in Washington and it can get into the 90's in my garage in the summer and into the 30's in the winter. Is that to hot and cold for my wax and detailers ect? I am sure the the 30's is to cold but what about the 90's in the garge or should I store them inside. My Wife is really upset because I store most all of it in the pantry. She said it smells like wax and not food so she wants all of it in the garage.
Thanks for any info guysFeed back please

DaHen
06-07-2012, 05:10 AM
I agree with her. Only a few waxes smell good, the others I wouldn't want in the pantry either.
I store mine in the garage in the summer and at times it might get up to ninety degrees. But am more concerned about the colder temperatures during the winter.
So, everything comes back into the house. Fortunately I have an unused room to put all these products in.

bmrisko
06-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Good question...I have often wondered the same thing about the heat in the summer.

A.P.A.D.
06-07-2012, 06:57 AM
I leave mine in the garage all year round. I don't know the molecular structure of polishes and waxes, but I haven't seen a problem in performance or even looks. I just always make sure I shake the bottle first.

Now in a perfect world my wife wouldn't mind me having my own room inside to store all my detailing supplies, but then again, I don't want to have to constantly run inside when working on vehicles.

BobbyG
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Southeastern MA typically sees temps 100+ several times duing the summer months and -10F during the winter. My products are stored in my shed April through October and when I walk in I'm greeted with the pleasant aroma of waxes and detailing products, my wife actually finds it quite nice.

I've never once had a product degrade due to heat exposure however I have lost a few to the cold here.

Even though it's depressing I bring all my detailing products in and store them in the basement. There they never see a temperature range of more then 15 degrees and 55 is probably the low.

fahoumh
06-07-2012, 07:30 AM
I keep all my chemicals stored inside the house because the garage can get pretty hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's a pain in the ass to lug everything up from the basement to clean a car and back down when I'm done but I'd rather not take the chance.

SR99
06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I store mine indoors, but I don't have the smells present (which implies you have a leaky container, or maybe it's the applicators).

How about degradation with age? I have quite a collection of partly-used products since I seem to have an addiction and buy new products even if I have one or more of the same type that works perfectly well. Yeah I know, it makes no sense!

Some are 5 years old (maybe even more). None have expiration dates on the container. They only become obviously non-usable if they dry up. On others the scent they once had (which is (usually) just an additive to overpower the chemical scent) is gone but I wonder if the base product is still good?

bigez
06-07-2012, 08:38 AM
What about insulating the garage?? The coldest part is the flimsy metal door that most people have, and I know you can buy stuff to insulate those so temperatures wouldn't be as extreme.

RTexasF
06-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Everything I own for car detailing is and has been in the garage for more than six years. Temps exceed 100ºF every summer and they all still work just fine. Other than needing to be shaken well, I've not seen anything degrade.

robovalzuniga
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
I keep all my stuff in large tupperware bins with wheels, when it needs to come inside due to extreme weather (in cali the summer reaches 100+), I just wheel it in the house.

Armenakadino
06-07-2012, 10:36 PM
My waxes that have any value stay inside the house in one of the cabinets. For detail spray and other detailing product it remain in my garage. I figured the other product was designed to be in the elements since professionals would be using it.

jiverson04
06-08-2012, 12:37 AM
I leave mine in the garage all year round. I don't know the molecular structure of polishes and waxes, but I haven't seen a problem in performance or even looks. I just always make sure I shake the bottle first.

Now in a perfect world my wife wouldn't mind me having my own room inside to store all my detailing supplies, but then again, I don't want to have to constantly run inside when working on vehicles.
Yea it does kind of suck when I am working on my car and I have to go inside to get stuff.

jiverson04
06-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Southeastern MA typically sees temps 100+ several times duing the summer months and -10F during the winter. My products are stored in my shed April through October and when I walk in I'm greeted with the pleasant aroma of waxes and detailing products, my wife actually finds it quite nice.

I've never once had a product degrade due to heat exposure however I have lost a few to the cold here.

Even though it's depressing I bring all my detailing products in and store them in the basement. There they never see a temperature range of more then 15 degrees and 55 is probably the low.
Thanks Bobby for the info that make me feel better. I just done want to have all the money I spent go to waste due to weather conditions. Thanks :xyxthumbs:

jiverson04
06-08-2012, 12:48 AM
I store mine indoors, but I don't have the smells present (which implies you have a leaky container, or maybe it's the applicators).

How about degradation with age? I have quite a collection of partly-used products since I seem to have an addiction and buy new products even if I have one or more of the same type that works perfectly well. Yeah I know, it makes no sense!

Some are 5 years old (maybe even more). None have expiration dates on the container. They only become obviously non-usable if they dry up. On others the scent they once had (which is (usually) just an additive to overpower the chemical scent) is gone but I wonder if the base product is still good?
I keep my applicators in the garage. I did just get a new gallon of wax and put the pump on it so I think thats why she smelled it because I had the gallon open. Thanks for all the input man..:xyxthumbs:

jiverson04
06-08-2012, 12:48 AM
What about insulating the garage?? The coldest part is the flimsy metal door that most people have, and I know you can buy stuff to insulate those so temperatures wouldn't be as extreme.
I think it is insulated I will have to check thanks for the info..