PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to do a strip wash before correcting?

Spiney
06-07-2012, 02:50 AM
I washed and QD my car today for a car club cruise event. I'd like to do my claying and then correction with the Meguiar's MF system.

I've had 4 back surgeries so any break I can get I'll take. So since I will Be using clay and the MF for correction do I need to wash the car down with Dawn or something similar or can I go right to clay if the car is clean? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

faulksy
06-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Have you driven since washing it? Then I would definitely wash it. The clay will remove the wax.

Don't use dawn to strip when you have some CG glossworkz

TroyScherer
06-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Have you driven since washing it? Then I would definitely wash it. The clay will remove the wax.

Don't use dawn to strip when you have some CG glossworkz

I somewhat agree.

If the car is clean you should be able to go right to clay. But if you have driven it I would re-wash.

Here is where I disagree. If you are going to re-wash I would go ahead and use dawn or whatever stripping soap you have. It just makes sense since that is your end goal. I would not use CG glossworkz though. It has no stripping ability and it is suppose to leave gloss enhances on the paint. (In my experience with glossworkz the gloss enhancement was minimal at best.) So this would be adding to the layers that need to come off, not removing them.

faulksy
06-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah my bad. Glossworkz doesn't have stripping ability. I was going by memory and believed it mentioned stripping dilution on it. It definitely does not. Nice pickup TroyScherer

I would still wash with it with Glossworkz and leave the dawn for the dishes. The protection as suggested is minimal and don't see it increasing claying time by any significant amount.

Optimum Power Clean is a great APC for removing waxes before claying. What APC do you have?

Spiney
06-07-2012, 05:57 AM
For APC I have Meg's. Yes I drove it about 5 miles. Thanks, Dave

glen e
06-07-2012, 06:04 AM
I love dawn to strip.....it's sqeeky clean when I dry it....Never have seen an ill effects in 5 years of using it.....