PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wise to use an AIO after applying XMT2 or XMT3?

brig2221
03-28-2007, 08:31 PM
I just purchased a PC 7424 and am in the process of ordering my 6" Edge pads for it.

I will be using the PC on both of my cars along with the XMT2 and XMT3 swirl removing compounds. My first car is only a few months old, but is black and is already showing swirl marks. Our other car is 10 years old and has considerable more paint damage.

My plan was to use the XMT3 on the older car, and use the XMT2 on my new car. In both cases, I was planning on immediately following up with Klasse AIO. Does anyone see any problems with this?

I read that it would be good to follow up XMT2 or 3 with XMT1 to get rid of any hazing, etc. That said, wouldn't my Klasse AIO do the same thing while cleaning/sealing the paint?

All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

paradog
03-28-2007, 08:42 PM
great question! I would also like to know the answer to this!

bambo2888
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
in all honesty, you should be ok finishing with xmt2 and/or xmt3 if you end on speed 6 on the PC with NO PRESSURE and fast strokes. this is a trick that justin has taught me and it works great! then, when you follow up with Klasse AIO, it will come out great. I suggest however, that you coat the AIO with a rich nuba wax like MaxWax, Signature Series II, or even Souveran. This will help in protection and prevention.

Make sure after youve completed the overall that you practice proper washing and especially drying techniques to prevent much of the swirls. They are inevitable, but they can be drastically reduced.

good luck and let us all know how it turns out, oh yea... PICTURES!

orngez
03-28-2007, 08:52 PM
i would say for the 10 year old car...xmt 3 or 2 with a cutting pad if it is in pretty rough shape...the newer car...class aio with a polishing pad or light cutting pad should do the trick...always start from least agressive to most....xmt 2.5 is also a great inbetween polish...but whatever you end up using to remove defects always follow up with the klasse aio or some type of wax or sealant..and yes klasse aio will do the same job as xmt1 and save you time...

sparkie
03-28-2007, 08:53 PM
I just purchased a PC 7424 and am in the process of ordering my 6" Edge pads for it.

I will be using the PC on both of my cars along with the XMT2 and XMT3 swirl removing compounds. My first car is only a few months old, but is black and is already showing swirl marks. Our other car is 10 years old and has considerable more paint damage.

My plan was to use the XMT3 on the older car, and use the XMT2 on my new car. In both cases, I was planning on immediately following up with Klasse AIO. Does anyone see any problems with this?

I read that it would be good to follow up XMT2 or 3 with XMT1 to get rid of any hazing, etc. That said, wouldn't my Klasse AIO do the same thing while cleaning/sealing the paint?

All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That will be fine, I've done that a lot. XMT3 top with AIO, then a good sealant or wax. I'd see if I can fine some old posts.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/1989-detail-beast.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/2256-detail-95-taurus.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/2314-detailed-99-toyota-4runner.html

All of these was XMT then AIO and wax.

Al-53
03-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Klasse AIO is more of the chemical abrasive than a grit abrasive..your best bet is to try a test on a area to see if it removes any hazing if you get any from the XMT..if not you will need to go to a fine polish to remove the hazing...

AL

brig2221
03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Guys, thanks so much for the information.

Do you think using XMT2 on this car would be too much at this point? The picture below is of my first detail following a wash, clay, Klass AIO application, and then topped off with P21S. As you can see, I have already used Klasse AIO by hand, and it did take out some swirls/light scratches, but only a little. Would using Klasse AIO with a cutting pad really make all that much of a difference?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/brig2221/Detailed1-1.jpg