PDA

View Full Version : car went for a swim

shadowpr
06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
So on Monday, I was at my gfs house and was leaving. The road she lives on is next to a canal, and it flooded due to high tide and the rain.

I drove through it because I had to get home, and didn't realize how deep it was. As I was driving through it, I saw a minivan with the water up to the bottom of its bumper. My car is lowered.

I didn't stop, and managed to make it through, but the splash guard under the car ripped off a bit, and the whole underside was exposed to salt water. I also believe the salt water made it into the engine bay.

Today, I put the car up on a jack, and took the splash guard off. I hosed off the engine bay, and then sprayed some simple green all over it. While I let that sit for a bit, I hosed off the entire underbody of the car, then hosed off the engine bay again to rinse it off. I started to car to help it dry off.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure the salt water won't cause damage?

rider9195
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I would be more worried about salt water damage. I would change your oil, trans fluid, check rubber bellows covering rack and pinion arms and axles. Anywhere where water could be a threat.

shadowpr
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
the oil and tranny fluid are both due to be changed in about 1500 miles along with the brake fluid, pads, and rotors. not too worried there.

BobbyG
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Hosing and power washing everything you can see to is important.
If you have a foam gun or foam canon cost the bottom of the car and inside the lower engine bay with foam, let sit, then rinse thoroughly.
I suspect the water wasn't high enough to get inside the crankcase. Check the dipstick and see if you can detect droplets of oil.
Regardless of how long ago the engine oil and transmission oil was changed do it again. Not spending $250.00 on a full fluid change only to sacrifice a $5000.00 motor and transmission makes little sense...
The brake system is sealed so this is a low priority providing the brakes are working properly...

rider9195
06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Bobby summed up my point. For some reason water got into your oil and you ran your car for another 1500 or so miles if could do damage. Better off spending the $25-50 for an oil change than having to replace some more pricey parts.

shadowpr
06-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Hosing and power washing everything you can see to is important.
If you have a foam gun or foam canon cost the bottom of the car and inside the lower engine bay with foam, let sit, then rinse thoroughly.
I suspect the water wasn't high enough to get inside the crankcase. Check the dipstick and see if you can detect droplets of oil.
Regardless of how long ago the engine oil and transmission oil was changed do it again. Not spending $250.00 on a full fluid change only to sacrifice a $5000.00 motor and transmission makes little sense...
The brake system is sealed so this is a low priority providing the brakes are working properly...

I already hosed it off. I can try the power washer on saturday.

And unfortunately, I don't have a foam gun or cannon yet. Will be ordering one soon though.

I'll check the dipstick later on before I go out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

duck_commander
06-06-2012, 08:56 PM
i'm sure you already know this, but please be careful driving through high water... It wasn't to long ago a mother and her kid was killed right down the road from my work in Pittsburgh when we had a freak thunderstorm and the road flooded, and they got trapped in their mini van and perrished. :( please use caution!

Frenchie
06-06-2012, 11:42 PM
after your sit on a bee hive for driving a lowered car through anything that resembled something larger than a small puddle....

i would change all the fluids
oil
transmission
differential,(if applicable)
changing fluids is regular maintenance that anyone with a wrench can do.

Better to be safe than sorry..

oldmodman
06-07-2012, 02:02 AM
And don't forget that WD-40 is designed to displace water. It will actually drive it out of crevices, electrical connectors (like the ones on the side of your underwater transmission) body seams, and under bolts and nuts. Plus it will slow down or stop corrosion.

shadowpr
06-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Good point about the wd40. I'll spray everything down Saturday.