PDA

View Full Version : One step polish methods

Pages : [1] 2 3

bigez
06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I've seen people talk about using doing "one steps" with XMT 360 or Duragloss 501, and of course, both of these leave behind some protection/wax.

I was suprised that DG 501 could correct as much as it did, but would prefer to not leave behind any protection so I could follow with a sealant.

What is a good "one step" polish that does not leave behind any protection. I guess it's not a "one step" then, but I'm still trying not to polish twice.

I guess what I'm asking is, what is a decent method to polish only, take out a few scratches, and still finish decent so that I don't have to polish again?

Could I use just some M205 and say an Orange Pad? Or a white pad? etc....

I've been doing something like 105 and 205, but am trying to NOT have to polish twice.

mg6045
06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Menzerna Power Finish PO 203, one step polish, swirl remover, finishing polish, car polish, german car polish, menzerna polishing compounds, power (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-finish.html)

It seems this is a hugely popular question today.. lol

mg6045
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
or

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish, final polish, car polish, M205, Meguires (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html)

truckbutt
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
What you're asking for is someone to tell you what polish is going to correct the defects that you have without knowing the extent of the defects. As you can see, you will get answers but I don't know how effective they will be to your situation.
:postpics:

BobbyG
06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
A few great polishes that I would consider are

Menzerna Super Finish PO106 FA (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-super-nano-polish.html)
Meguiar's M205 (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-205-polish-8oz.html)
Optimum Hyper Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-hyper-polish-spray.html)
PRIMA Swirl Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-swirl-remover.html)

These can be used with an Orange and White pad will achieve excellent results..I've also tried these using a Gray foam finishing pad! :props:

bigez
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks....already got some good ideas here!

What you're asking for is someone to tell you what polish is going to correct the defects that you have without knowing the extent of the defects. As you can see, you will get answers but I don't know how effective they will be to your situation.
:postpics:

I'm not looking for "perfection" with this question, just a good basic polish that will get out minor defects while still finishing down well enough to not have to do a follow up polish. This would be just on cars where the people are not super picky and don't wish to pay for another step.

truckbutt
06-06-2012, 12:52 PM
You didn't say this was for a production type environment in which you are not looking for perfection. In that case you should be looking at Meguiars D151 PRC. You can adjust the cut with your selection of pad. You can choose to add another layer of protection or not. D151 I believe is the only product that will give you that much correcting ability and 4 weeks protection, allowing for a true 1-step.

mwoolfso
06-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks....already got some good ideas here!

I'm not looking for "perfection" with this question, just a good basic polish that will get out minor defects while still finishing down well enough to not have to do a follow up polish. This would be just on cars where the people are not super picky and don't wish to pay for another step.

I am a little confused by what you are saying. If you want a 1-step but without any protection; then you are not looking for a 1-step. I see that you are not looking for "perfection", but are you OK without any "protection"?

Once you apply a finishing polish then you would need to add a layer of protection. That could be a sealant, wax, or sealant/wax combo.

bigez
06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I am a little confused by what you are saying. If you want a 1-step but without any protection; then you are not looking for a 1-step. I see that you are not looking for "perfection", but are you OK without any "protection"?

Once you apply a finishing polish then you would need to add a layer of protection. That could be a sealant, wax, or sealant/wax combo.

Yeah, it's NOT a true "one step". I just meant I only want to polish ONCE. I would then, of course, seal it with something like opti-seal or even OCW.

On my own car, I ended up polishing it 3 times...which took forever. Now have a few cheap neighbors that want something really basic and aren't willing to pay much.

glen e
06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
For "neighbors" I use meg d151 and a white or orange pad

Then ultima or blackfire sealant....

Maybe all of 2 hours to do....

BobbyG
06-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I've seen people talk about using doing "one steps" with XMT 360 or Duragloss 501, and of course, both of these leave behind some protection/wax.

I was suprised that DG 501 could correct as much as it did, but would prefer to not leave behind any protection so I could follow with a sealant.

What is a good "one step" polish that does not leave behind any protection. I guess it's not a "one step" then, but I'm still trying not to polish twice.

I guess what I'm asking is, what is a decent method to polish only, take out a few scratches, and still finish decent so that I don't have to polish again?

Could I use just some M205 and say an Orange Pad? Or a white pad? etc....

I've been doing something like 105 and 205, but am trying to NOT have to polish twice.

Meguiar's D151 and many others leave behind protection, something that the original poster doesn't want..

bigez
06-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Meguiar's D151 and many others leave behind protection, something that the original poster doesn't want..

My thinking is I don't need any protection or wax left behind, since I want to use a sealant as my LSP and thought maybe it would last a tad longer since it's not applied on top of whatever wax is typically left behind by a standard all in one.

I realize I could use something like Meguiars D151 and call it a day, but wanted to use a sealant since it's so easy to apply and would last longer. Hence this confusing question, where basically I was just looking for a general polish...hah.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, it's NOT a true "one step". I just meant I only want to polish ONCE. I would then, of course, seal it with something like opti-seal or even OCW.

Actually a good approach, it's faster than doing a 2-3 step and more people just want a good looking finish not a show car finish.

Lead in with what you charge and how much time it will take to do your best work, your Platinum Package.

Then share your Gold Package, less work, less time, not as good as results BUT still really good results and less money.

Your Silver Package, yada yada yada...

There were some threads about this lately maybe in the detailing for dollars forum group...

:)

BobbyG
06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Actually a good approach, it's faster than doing a 2-3 step and more people just want a good looking finish not a show car finish.:)

Sometimes we forget that true perfection is in the eye of the beholder. What we think is perfect for the most part is far from it but it fulfills our goal because it's a dramatic improvement over where we began..

Bigbull2984
06-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Weird wow.... You almost have the same concern I do, we started the threads one minute apart.

I think I will go with the M205 with white pad and finish with BF WD on blue pad.. Good enough for a daily daily driver ever 3 to 4 month...