PDA

View Full Version : From Hero To Zero In 3 Seconds Flat

Flash Gordon
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
So a friend of mine calls and says he picked up a scratch going down 3/4 of his rear quarter panel. I tell him I'll to stop by and see what I can do. As soon as I could see the scratch I knew polishing alone wasn't going to fix this situation, but I tried anyway (mainly to show him it wasn't going to work as he insisted it would) :rolleyes:

I follow that by wetsanding using 1500 grit followed by 2000 then 3000. Turns out PERFECT!!! Im the MANThen he shows me where a couple of nibs of trash are stuck in the paint right along the edge of the door. I tell him how dangerous it is to sand along an edge, but he pumps my EGO up by telling me how AWESOME I did at removing the scratch. I bit the hook and ended up sanding through the paint and now my life SUCKS!!!

The lesson to this story is don't let someone talk you into something when it doesn't feel right to begin with

If Ida just....

A1MobileDetailing
06-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm really sorry about that. Thank's for sharing though. Hopefully this will help others from doing the same.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
So a friend of mine calls and says he picked up a scratch going down 3/4 of his rear quarter panel. I tell him I'll to stop by and see what I can do. As soon as I could see the scratch I knew polishing alone wasn't going to fix this situation, but I tried anyway (mainly to show him it wasn't going to work as he insisted it would) :rolleyes:

I follow that by wetsanding using 1500 grit followed by 2000 then 3000. Turns out PERFECT!!! Im the MANThen he shows me where a couple of nibs of trash are stuck in the paint right along the edge of the door. I tell him how dangerous it is to sand along an edge, but he pumps my EGO up by telling me how AWESOME I did at removing the scratch. I bit the hook and ended up sanding through the paint and now my life SUCKS!!!

The lesson to this story is don't let someone talk you into something when it doesn't feel right to begin with

If Ida just....

Sorry to hear this...

Been there done that before and learned to go with my instincts...

But... that's how we all get experience.

:)

BobbyG
06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
When you come to the fork in the road take it! :props:

It happens to all of us....sigh!

embolism
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
hope it just sucks because you feel bad for not following your instincts and not b/c your friend expects you to pay to fix it now...

Flash Gordon
06-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm really sorry about that. Thank's for sharing though. Hopefully this will help others from doing the same.

Hopefully my mistake will help someone else. Everything in me told me to leave those nibs alone, but as usual, I didn't listen

Sorry to hear this...

Sorry its happened to you before to, but it does make me feel better. At least it wasn't my car I ruined. Friends are alot easier to replace then cars lol

When you come to the fork in the road take it! :props:

It happens to all of us....sigh!

Which way am I suppose to go when the fork approaches? :hungry:

hope it just sucks because you feel bad for not following your instincts and not b/c your friend expects you to pay to fix it now...

No, actually he wants me to sand the entire car down now. When we were removing the scratch, you could clearly see a tremendous amount of orange peel being removed as well. That particular area looks like a mirror now compared to the rest of the car

richy
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Flash, sorry to hear that but that was good you shared your experience. Got any pics? Every time I ignore that voice it bites me in the a s s. It apparantly doesn't like to be ignored...that's why I know the voice is female, LOL.

mwoolfso
06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry to hear this...

Life lesson # 104,345...... you gain the necessary level of experience to make a sound decision immediately after you execute the decision.

Flash Gordon
06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Flash, sorry to hear that but that was good you shared your experience. Got any pics? Every time I ignore that voice it bites me in the a s s. It apparantly doesn't like to be ignored...that's why I know the voice is female, LOL.

Female voice huh?!?!? I don't listen to anything my wife says, so maybe you're on to something

I didn't even bother taking any pics. I can't figure out how to post them and I already have 3 memory cards full for when I do. Its a real pretty car though

Again, hoped this helps someone else from ruining someones paintjob like I just did :/

Meticulous-Detail
06-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection we make an imperfection.

The same thing happedened to me no too long ago. My Buds Roush Stage 3 Vert got scratched by his daughter. The scratch was on the fender near the lip, I went from least to most aggressive and ended up burining the paint.

I felt like #### but whaddyagonnado, you learn from your mistakes. Any detailer that tells you he never messed up a car is lyning and I wouldn't trust him.

FUNX650
06-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Flash...
Sorry to hear about this...
But...A good 'detailing-reminder', nonetheless.

Every time I ignore that voice it bites me in the a s s.

Concerning: The Inner Voice...I've been told...(sorry...the "primary care" Physician's name must be withheld)
-Developed as I grew out of my nonchalant, devil-may-care childhood days.
-Also matured, as I aged...through the use of memory, logic and knowing-the-rules skill-sets.
-Sort of like a Guardian Angel at times.

The older I get, though, I've been noticing that:
As the Angels, that once resided in Heaven, (until they crossed into that chasm to side with Lucifer eons ago)...
My "Guardian Angel (Inner Voice)", too, has fallen at times, into that nether region called damnation!!

Good luck on completing the orange 'peel-ing' process!

Bob

Flash Gordon
06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Sometimes in the pursuit of perfection we make an imperfection.

The same thing happedened to me no too long ago. My Buds Roush Stage 3 Vert got scratched by his daughter. The scratch was on the fender near the lip, I went from least to most aggressive and ended up burining the paint.

I felt like #### but whaddyagonnado, you learn from your mistakes. Any detailer that tells you he never messed up a car is lyning and I wouldn't trust him.

If Ida just walked away after fixing the scratch.....

Glad to hear others confess their failures. Call me Father Flash if that will help

Setec Astronomy
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Any detailer that tells you he never messed up a car is lying and I wouldn't trust him.

I used to work with a guy who said that anybody who hadn't made a mistake hadn't done anything...but now I am familiar with a class of people who make plenty of mistakes but pathologically deny/forget ever making any--which is of course at odds with the first fellow's observation. Sorry, I'm just venting!

dad07
06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I used to work with a guy who said that anybody who hadn't made a mistake hadn't done anything...but now I am familiar with a class of people who make plenty of mistakes but pathologically deny/forget ever making any--which is of course at odds with the first fellow's observation. Sorry, I'm just venting!

Boy I can Relate to that statement!

Flash Gordon
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Flash...
Sorry to hear about this...
But...A good 'detailing-reminder', nonetheless.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Boy I can Relate to that statement!

I know of ppl who make mistakes but always have someone else to lay the blame on

This whole deal is my friends fault for asking me to do this