PDA

View Full Version : Will clay remove Pine tree sap?

Pages : [1] 2

nrsk4u
06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Go figure, I go full pull on the black mistress last week and yesterday I get stuck under a pine tree and now have sap all over the roof, hood and trunk. I used the foam gun, let it sit for a few min, washed it and its still there. Tried some detail spray and that didnt work either. Its not really that much, just little pin heads of spreckles over the paint, enuff to feel through the microfiber. I hate to strip off my 845 and WGDGPS but it seems like i dont have any other choices. Thanks for any help you have - Scott

rider9195
06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I find using IPA helps remove tree sap. Clay doesn't do much IME.

Mike Phillips
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
You can try claying, it usually works for tree sap that's not like epoxy glue.

I've had good luck with

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/xenit.html)

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner removes resins, carbon deposits, silicones, and contaminants from molds. You’ll never again be frustrated trying to remove tough gunk and grime in your home, office, garage or car. Natural citrus XENIT by Stoner removes tacky, grimy dirt so well, in most cases you can simply “wipe it away.”

Xenit is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refine extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

Xenit contains more than five, different, high performance cleaners. Unlike most water-based citrus cleaners that are designed to lift and carry dirt, XENIT is formulated to break down the complex molecules found in sticky materials. This MicroActive cleaning action gives XENIT unequaled abilities to loosen and dissolve difficult grime like tar, grease, gum and adhesives. It even removes dried latex paint if accidentally dripped on carpet, flooring, or furniture. Xenit removes shoe scuffs and heel marks from from vinyl panels and greasy dirt from fabrics and upholstery.

Save yourself hours of agony trying to remove sticky stuff with standard cleaners. Avoid wasted time spent laboring with inferior water-based products. XENIT is formulated to evaporate and dry completely, leaving behind no sticky residues or streaky soaps.

10 oz. aerosol.

:)

Buckskincolt
06-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks Mike,
Just added this stuff to my cart, never heard of it before. Being from Oregon the spruce, and fir pitch is bad so looking forward to giving this a shot. Been ising an IPA wipe with limited success!

nrsk4u
06-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mike,
Just added this stuff to my cart, never heard of it before. Being from Oregon the spruce, and fir pitch is bad so looking forward to giving this a shot. Been ising an IPA wipe with limited success!

Stupid California !! Since I can't get it, guess I'll try the IPA.

Nozama
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
So while not a cleaning chemical, Deep Woods Off will remove tree sap with the least amount of effort. Spray on and leave for a minute or two and wipe off.

as always YMMV...

BobbyG
06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Mineral spirits or turpentine usually work well on tree sap especially fresh stuff.

Another method is to heat the area with an electric hairdryer warming and softening the sap then remove most of it with a plastic razor blade. Once the bulk is removed wipe the area with mineral spirits, this will dissolve and remove what's left...

JBL
08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
So, last night, we hit a buddy of mine's car with 91% IPA, straight outta the bottle for some insanely difficult tree sap that seemed to be cooked on. Nothing worked but this. I know this is a no-no, but we rinsed immediately after and 'quick detailed' (using a QD I mean) for the night. I've instructed the owner to wash the car today as well.

I guess what I'm asking is, is she (the car) going to be OK?

bobble
08-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Has anyone ever tried a mixture of baking soda and water to dissolve tree sap? I've used this on gel coat before on particularly gunked up muck( dried on mud mixed with oil) but a car's paint is a whole other animal. Mike any thoughts on that??

flamed03vert
08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
I would have thought something like Tar X would work. I used Tar X to remove the ahesive when I debadged my deck lid and it worked great

FUNX650
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
So while not a cleaning chemical, Deep Woods Off will remove tree sap with the least amount of effort. Spray on and leave for a minute or two and wipe off.

as always YMMV...

@Nozama...^^^^
-Thanks for your posting of this information!!
-I would never have thought of DEET-laden products
as being an effective tar removal solvent!!

@nrsk4u...
Besides some of the products/chemicals listed already,
I've used these two products to remove pine sap/resin:

-Lustro Pine Resin Remover...
(I have difficulties staying away from exotically-named products :D)

-And the good ol' stand-by product-line:
Turtle Wax T-520A Bug and Tar Remover

:)

Bob

abwmma
08-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Try Hand sanitizer. It works too.

corvettesam
08-05-2019, 04:35 PM
I looked at Stoner website, they say not to use it on cars as it will ruin the clear coat.
Since you used it without a problem, how did you apply it, ie spray on the car, or on the rag?
Do you wash the car after? I assume you throw away the microfiber towels after.

Mike lambert
08-05-2019, 05:13 PM
As Mr. Phillips says, keep it simple, no need to buy a bunch of products. Alcohol works fine. Even the small amount in hand sanitizer works.

MarkD51
08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Mineral spirits or turpentine usually work well on tree sap especially fresh stuff.

Another method is to heat the area with an electric hairdryer warming and softening the sap then remove most of it with a plastic razor blade. Once the bulk is removed wipe the area with mineral spirits, this will dissolve and remove what's left...

Bobby, great to see you here old buddy! I've been thinking of you lately, great to see you back! :-)