PDA

View Full Version : Siloxane, You probably have something it's in.

truckbutt
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Lately I've gotten in the habit of reading MSDS's on products before I buy them as it's one of the only ways to see what's in them to compare. Have you noticed that some of the products branded for different purposes have virtually the same ingredients? UWW+ and Aquawax both have Siloxane. Are we really seeing truly different products or clever branding with some minor changes in concentrations or ancillary ingredients? I'm not a chemist, just curious.

bmwgalore
06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Its a man made polymer with hydrophobic qualities, meaning it repels water, the very thing we expect from waxes.

You will find it in basically every sealant or wax, because it's better than silicone (which is basically in the same family).

You will also find it in some foods, body products and almost every Lubricant out there.

sparty
06-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Clever branding in many cases with the higher quality products we can find here at AG. Though the ratios of the chemicals may differ, they basically all use the same chemicals. I assumed that was common knowledge.

Look at Chemical Guys products - they brand the heck out of their products. The same for many of the PBMG products. Not that this is a bad thing - it is a business after all and the goal is sales! Otherwise, why have a business.

-Sparty

Setec Astronomy
06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
UWW+ and Aquawax both have Siloxane. Are we really seeing truly different products or clever branding with some minor changes in concentrations or ancillary ingredients?

Yeah, but just because they both have siloxanes, doesn't mean they have the same siloxane. If you go into the supermarket, there are 20 brands of pasta sauce...are they all the same? No? But they all have tomatoes and oil and spices in them...except perhaps different types, qualities and quantities of those ingredients...same as car products.

timaishu
06-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah, but just because they both have siloxanes, doesn't mean they have the same siloxane. If you go into the supermarket, there are 20 brands of pasta sauce...are they all the same? No? But they all have tomatoes and oil and spices in them...except perhaps different types, qualities and quantities of those ingredients...same as car products.

Yeah, but they all taste the same imo. Just like how all waxes look the same to me on a properly prepped surface.

FUNX650
06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Good discussion topic about:
-Detailing products containing good ol' Sil(the element Silicon)-ox(the element Oxygen)-ane(the chemical bond between these two elements)...
-And its correlation with: Marketing

Piggybacking, then, if I may...Another discussion topic I enjoy:
The role that a 'type' of siloxane...polydimethylsiloxane... plays/has in detailing products.

-Just an observation/question (and, alluding to this "polydimethyl-type" of siloxane):

1. Polydimethylsiloxane is considered the basic and most commonly available [U]silicone.
2. Does this also mean we probably have in our posession detailing products that are being advertised/marketed in yet another:
Somewhat, mendacious manner, or no?

Also...
-Why does it seem, when it comes to: detailing products' chemicals/ingredients...that there exists a web, spun and consisting of mostly:
Undesirable and disingenuous, boondoggle...to become ensnared.
-How does one unentangle themself?

BTW... Where do silanes fit into this equation?

:)

Bob