PDA

View Full Version : Does paint cleaner, like Pinnacle and P21S will remove CQ Coating?

Pages : [1] 2

fenderpicks
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Does paint cleaner, like Pinnacle and P21S will remove CQ Coating?

Anyone know

CEE DOG
06-05-2012, 05:39 PM
It depends on how you use it. Are you being gentle? If you put paint cleaner on a wool pad... Yeah it's going to remove your coating.

The better question is do you want to remove it. If you do not want to remove a coating then you don't perform any kind of mechanical polishing on it. This includes not using a paint cleaner.

ScottB
06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I would tend to believe a polish is a better choice, likely a paint cleansing lotion would only dent a well cured coating system.

CEE DOG
06-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I agree, if you are actually trying to remove the coating then polishing is the method to use.

fenderpicks
06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Well i put a layer of wax over my CQ... and now i want to remove it to try a different wax lol...

Rsurfer
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
A strong Dawn wash should remove the wax and not the coating.
Well i put a layer of wax over my CQ... and now i want to remove it to try a different wax lol...

swanicyouth
06-05-2012, 08:23 PM
CG Citrus Wash and Wax 1 ounce per gallon.

TroyScherer
06-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Why would you wax over CQ? The point is to get and use the first and water shedding properties to your advantage. Waxing over CQ defeats this.

fenderpicks
06-05-2012, 08:54 PM
I have too much wax i havent tried out, yet i CQ my car already... lol
And i like having my paint feel super slick, which CQ was not satisfying me

ScottB
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM

perhaps Menzerna Finishing Spray ??

TroyScherer
06-05-2012, 09:05 PM

For that I suggest ReLoad, FK425, DG AquaWax, Permanon.

richy
06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
A strong Dawn wash should remove the wax and not the coating.

I understand your frustration with the "feeling" of CQ or OG. I have found several products that will make it super slick and not defeat the coating properties:
1) Permanon. This is a nano coating just like the other two, but is applied in a spray fashion. Extremely slick. Lasts several weeks to months depending on how you wash it (ironically, Dawn washing seems to be the best for this product).
2) ReLoad. Also very slick but I don't like it on black as I find it has a propensity to streak. Not nearly as easy to use as Permanon, but easier to find. Having short nap mf and spraying the product on the mf vs the surface seems to make it less likely to streak.
3) DG Aquawax (AW). This is just a great old stand by to boost a surface slickness and repellancy. You'll be relying on the AW vs the coating, but it is very good, so I don't have a problem with that and use it often on my Lincoln which has CQ on it.
4) FK425. I've had a gallon of this in my basement that I had completely forgotten about till I read a review lately that Troy did. Damn, this stuff is slick!! If you read the latest job I did on a 2011 Jeep, you'll see I topped OG with FK425 the following day. I have done this on my Lincoln with great results and it did wonders to the Jeep too!! I have not tested it in the rain, so I don't really know how it handles that vs the coating, but if you want slickness, FK will be your best friend.

I've been playing with AQuartz, CQuartz, the original Opti Coat (pro version) and OG now for a few years. I truly believe they are the future of paint protection, but their only downside is lack of slickness. Now, having said that, there is another one on the market (SytemX/Element 119) that I used recently on a H3 Hummer that I posted on here. That coating is slick. Slicker than CQ or OG, but, not as slick as them boosted with Permanon or ReLoad or the others. But it is slicker on its own. Problem is there's very little reliable information about long term durability. The H3 belongs to my brother in law and sister-in-L so I'll get to monitor it periodically. I love how technology is changing our field!

richy
06-05-2012, 09:42 PM
For that I suggest ReLoad, FK425, DG AquaWax, Permanon.

OMG, Troy, I should have read your post first prior to my rambling mess. I could have just said...

:iagree::dblthumb2:.

What can I say? Ask me what time it is, and I'll tell you how to build a watch!!! LOL.Im the MAN

TroyScherer
06-05-2012, 09:50 PM
OMG, Troy, I should have read your post first prior to my rambling mess. I could have just said...

:iagree::dblthumb2:.

What can I say? Ask me what time it is, and I'll tell you how to build a watch!!! LOL.Im the MAN

Are you kidding Richy? Your answer was great! You definetly explained my full thoughts on my picks as well.

Great minds thin alike!!! :dblthumb2:

bmwgeek
06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Why do people want it slick if they are using a coating like cquartz or opti-coat? Are you going to always rub your hand on the paint just to enjoy that slickness? :rolleyes: