PDA

View Full Version : Pads

tkarns24
06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I want to get a griot 6 polisher, is that the right one for a newbie and what pads should i get.

rider9195
06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
The Griots 6 inch Dual Action polisher is perfect for a beginner. I would get a 5 inch DA backing plate with any assortment of Lake Country Flat pads. One yellow, two orange, two white, two black, and one blue.

bmwgalore
06-05-2012, 01:52 PM
It's a good DA.

For compounds i like Optimum Micro fiber pads, works faster than foam pads and cuts more.

For mid-polishing I like White foam Flat pads. Micro fiber pads don't finish as good as foam pads from this step forward.

And for final polishing, I like Black Flat foam pads...

This should take care of most car paint problems..

TimmyG
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
The Griots 6 inch Dual Action polisher is perfect for a beginner. I would get a 5 inch DA backing plate with any assortment of Lake Country Flat pads. One yellow, two orange, two white, two black, and one blue.

+1

Flat pads are an awesome pad to learn with.

tkarns24
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
ok well flat pads it is . Now here is the stuff i'm using

duragloss car wash
mothers clay bar
meguiars ultimate compound
meguiars swirlx
blackfire resistant clear finishing polish
UPGP
wax 845
carpro ceriglass glass polish
blackfire wet diamond metal acrylic sealant

now guys are those pads able to work with all this stuff

Mike Phillips
06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
now guys are those pads able to work with all this stuff

All the paint care products.

Might want to use a dedicated foam cutting or polishing pad for the Ceriglass. You don't want to get the abrasives used in the Ceriglass mixed into a pad that's going to be used on paint.

Also test the Ceriglass to a section of paint that you don't l00k through when you're driving the car to make sure there are no issues.

:)

tkarns24
06-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Why would i get a 5 inch plate when it already comes with a 6in plate

TheCougarGuy
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
I just switched to a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pad last week. I tried them the other night and I was really pleased with the performance of the DA (Griot's) with the smaller pad. I would have switched sooner but I had quite a few 6 inch pads that I wanted to use up.

wysiwyg
06-07-2012, 10:03 AM

To be able to use 5.5" pads if you decide to go this route.

The 5.5" flat 7/8" thick pads are very easy to use and work with. I have a Griot's polisher, and I've only used the 6" backing plate once with the correct pad. It is much easier to learn, control, and use the polisher with 5.5" 7/8" thick flat pads.

I'd also recommend getting a 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads. The smaller pads are very useful when working in tight areas.

Invest as many pads as your budget allows. You will most likely use 3 to 4 pads when working on a vehicle. When I did my first paint correction on my black vehicle, I used 3 orange pads and 4 white pads. Fresh, clean pads provide the best results.

I find myself using the the LC orange and white flat pads most often. The white pads are the most versatile and can be used with a variety of products (polishes, glazes, etc). I use the LC orange pads mainly for AIOs and paint correction with a good polish. I really like the results I've been getting on daily drivers with XMT 360 AIO and the LC orange pads.

Always start with the least aggressive method on a test section and work your pad and products until you find a result you're happy with.

Buckskincolt
06-07-2012, 10:06 AM
You shouldn't use 5.5" pads on a 6" backing plate, the backing plate will stick out beyond the edge of the pad. you could go to 6.5" pads but the 5.5's are better for correction and fit is smaller places. IMHO you will be much happier with the 5.5".:buffing:

Buckskincolt
06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I'd also recommend getting a 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads. The smaller pads are very useful when working in tight areas.
+ 1 :props::iagree:

tkarns24
06-07-2012, 12:07 PM
ok so is this one the plate "Dual Action 5 Inch HD Backing Plate" as i plan on getting the standard not the HD groit 6

TheCougarGuy
06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I bought the Lake Country backing plate.

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

tkarns24
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
CAn i use this pad with ceriglass
Lake Country 5.5 Inch Glass Polishing Pad

All the paint care products.

Might want to use a dedicated foam cutting or polishing pad for the Ceriglass. You don't want to get the abrasives used in the Ceriglass mixed into a pad that's going to be used on paint.

Also test the Ceriglass to a section of paint that you don't l00k through when you're driving the car to make sure there are no issues.

:)

wysiwyg
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
CAn i use this pad with ceriglass
Lake Country 5.5 Inch Glass Polishing Pad

Actually, a LC yellow pad would suffice as a glass polishing pad.
Like Mike mentioned just make sure you don't mix it with paint pads (if you have other yellow pads)