PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener Dangers?

Pages : [1] 2 3

T0RCH3D
06-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I plan on getting Meg's Wheel Brightener here in the next few weeks. From hearing it's tremendous cleaning abilities along with other positive reviews and recommendations, there are also warnings and others say it is too strong. I understand that it is a stronger product, which I think is key for neglected wheels, caked brake dust, etc. My main question is how harmful can this be on wheel finishes? I plan on using this for many different wheels and finishes? I want a strong product, is this the right wheel cleaner for me? If not, other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

maximus20895
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Just get brown Royal and don't worry about it.

Mazda.Mark
06-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Highly recommended not to use on bare aluminum wheels. That is from Meguair's. Only use this as last case its pretty harsh. Use gloves and some recommend a mouth guard. Dilute 4:1 for heavily baked wheels. 10:1 is plenty.

Research the wheel to make sure you are not harming the finish.

For a ph balanced cleaner many like Sonax FE.

Optimum Power Clean is great and may be diluted. OTC cleaners like Mothers and Eagle One are great IMHO too.

Start with least abrasive and move up from there.

PS If you go Megs WB Do NOT let it dwell very long. After cleaning it would be great to seal the wheel to make regular maintenance a lot easier.

BobbyG
06-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Meguiar's Wheel Brightener is a great product for cleaning stubborn wheels. If you dilute it 4:1 as recommended you'll find this safe to use on just about any coated or painted wheel. I was impressed with it's cleaning ability.

I would not use this on raw or uncoated aluminum wheels.

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener effectiveness is akin to CarPro IronX but doesn't turn everything purple as a sign working. The performance exceeds it's cost by quite a margin so it's a bargain in terms of bang for the buck...

T0RCH3D
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Great, seems it is just raw aluminum wheels I have to worry about. Thanks.

maximus20895
06-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Highly recommended not to use on bare aluminum wheels. That is from Meguair's. Only use this as last case its pretty harsh. Use gloves and some recommend a mouth guard. Dilute 4:1 for heavily baked wheels. 10:1 is plenty.

Research the wheel to make sure you are not harming the finish.

For a ph balanced cleaner many like Sonax FE.

Optimum Power Clean is great and may be diluted. OTC cleaners like Mothers and Eagle One are great IMHO too.

Start with least abrasive and move up from there.

PS If you go Megs WB Do NOT let it dwell very long. After cleaning it would be great to seal the wheel to make regular maintenance a lot easier.

That's why I like brown Royal. It works probably better than sonax and it can be used on raw and aluminum wheels since it's not acid based. Basically it's like sonax but around 10th the price and can be diluted. I think I dilute it 4:1.

I like wheel brightener, but I rather not worry about damaging a wheel of its aluminum or deal with the harsh effects.

Vegas Transplant
06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Great, seems it is just raw aluminum wheels I have to worry about. Thanks.

Or coated aluminum wheels with nicks, scratches, and scrapes.

T0RCH3D
06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
How many wheels are really uncoated aluminum anyways, that is the only reason I am still leaning toward WB

BobbyG
06-05-2012, 01:27 PM
How many wheels are really uncoated aluminum anyways, that is the only reason I am still leaning toward WB

Now days not that many and certainly not from the factory....

A quick test to determine is take a light colored towel and place a dab of polish on it. Rub it against the surface of the wheel and if it turns the spot on the rag a dark gray then it's uncoated...

Vegas Transplant
06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I've been using this product for over four years, but only on the most severely neglected, where APC alone would not cut thoroughly. But just as paint finishes show signs of CC failure, so do coated wheels. Wash first and inspect thoroughly before appling this product.
If applied to damaged coating then uneven finish(lacking luster and ashen-like) will be end result.
2 custom car enthusiasts ( multiple trophy winners) and 1 AGO forum member (asked for his advice) have warned me against its use.
The last thing that I will say is that you will have great results with less effort, but you'll know immediately of any possible ill effect.

T0RCH3D
06-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks bobby, I will be sure to use that method when needed.

T0RCH3D
06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I've been using this product for over four years, but only on the most severely neglected, where APC alone would not cut thoroughly. But just as paint finishes show signs of CC failure, so do coated wheels. Wash first and inspect thouroughly before appling this product.

2 custom car enthusiasts ( multiple trophy winners) and 1 AGO forum member (asked for his advice) have warned me against its use.
The last thing that I will say is that you will have great results with less effort, but you'll know immediately of any possible ill effect.

I appreciate the advice, I think to be on the safe side I will clean thoroughly with wash, then Optimum Power Clean, if all else fails I will hit the stubborn areas of the wheel with Meg's WB.

Vegas Transplant
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a plan.:xyxthumbs:

Wheels that are driven in sandy areas and those driven in salt/slag or ice show greater propensity for coating failure hand.

bmwgalore
06-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I Keep two WB bottles, one 7:1 and one 4:1.

If I can get away with the 7:1, yay! If that doesn't work, the 4:1 is always handy.

TimmyG
06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I Keep two WB bottles, one 7:1 and one 4:1.

If I can get away with the 7:1, yay! If that doesn't work, the 4:1 is always handy.

I do something similar.

10:1 and 4:1

It's a strong cleaner, yes. It gets the job done though.