PDA

View Full Version : Help with chips...

KJW Detailing
03-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I dont currently need help at the moment but i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to a thread that shows how to touch up paint and then put cc on and then polish it or whatever shot that it looks OEM...

thanks!

Jimmie
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Totoland Mach has started threads re: Paint chips; Touch up paint. He's very good.

KJW Detailing
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
ok well i thought it would take longer but with my paint being so dam thin, i already have a few chips that aren't very pleasing...i plan on going to honda to purchase some touch up paint, but i know how after touching up a car your always going to see that mark, so how can i touch up my car and then do what ever i have to do to make it look as if it was never there to begin with...

thanks!

nick19
04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
ok well i thought it would take longer but with my paint being so dam thin, i already have a few chips that aren't very pleasing...i plan on going to honda to purchase some touch up paint, but i know how after touching up a car your always going to see that mark, so how can i touch up my car and then do what ever i have to do to make it look as if it was never there to begin with...

thanks!

Apply very thin coats, and use a light to moderate polish after it dries (24 hours). You can get your color code from your manual, and go to a auto parts store and get the touch up paint 5x cheaper. I think I paid $7 for my tube of touch up paint.

KJW Detailing
04-04-2007, 11:31 AM
honda told me it would be 8 bucks so i'll just go there...

nick since i will be ordering the PC within the month should i just wait to touch of the car or is that to much time passing?

i have the rotary at work...

orngez
04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
you can touch up the car now...and polish it later...actually the longer you wait the better the paint will cure and stand up to polishing much better...sometime if you polish to soon after applying touch up paint you will end up flicking it off and it could take even more paint with it...

Just02
04-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I would go to a body shop and ask for a bottle of the paint code on your door. Also, make sure to layer it up, spot wet sand with 4000 grit sand paper, then polish.

Also, be careful! I used the touchup paint provided by Honda and it was DRAKER then the paint. :eek: So I'm going to try to take care of it this summer after school. If I can't fix it, I may end up taking it to a body shop. :(

Good luck and layer the paint!

PS This is rather simple, but just move slowly and tackle ONE chip at a time. Make sure your paint matches, too!!!

FloridaNative
04-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Totoland Mach has started threads re: Paint chips; Touch up paint. He's very good.

Here's that thread. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/3150-rotary-boo-boos-chip-filling.html

KJW Detailing
04-05-2007, 04:28 PM
i have one chip where the paint sorta got pushed up...i guess this could be take off after i touch up the spot while i am wet sanding it?

also, what goes into wet sanding? i mean 4000 grit sandpaper...what type of solution to keep it lubricated...how long do i sand it for...is there a certain way to sand or is it like and other sanding...

what about when i come over it with the polish...what type of polish and what type of pad?

is there anything else i need to know about this process?

KJW Detailing
04-09-2007, 10:19 PM
i bought the touch up paint today and on of these days in the near future i would like to put the paint onto the 2 chips i have...

i opened the bottle and found that the brush is like one you would find for nail polish and i think that would be much to think for tiny applications and at the same time would make thinks to gluepie for larger chips...so i am thinking of going out and getting a very fine tip artist brush...

anyone have any thoughts on this and can someone further explain to me the process of wet sanding/polishing to make the chips look as if they never occured?

sneek
04-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Take it from me, test out the paint on paper first. I have a Gen7 accord in Satin Silver Metallic and the touch up paint from Honda doesn't match. I'd highly recommend going to a Auto body store.

To make it look like the chip was never there is pretty hard. There are 2 methods that I know of for removing "blobs" one is the Langka kit.

LANGKA Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit: Repair scratches on your car without a professional paint job! touch-up paint, scratch repair kit, chip repair, (http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint-chip-repair-kit.html)

pretty easy to use with pretty good results. The other method is wetsanding which requires much more time and skill. I would try out the Langka kit first.