PDA

View Full Version : Tar everywhere! Cleaned it off, but what's with my paint now?

jersrt
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
I don't know what I drove through, but I got tar everywhere, and I mean everywhere - the front, the grill, the wheels, both sides up to the windows, and the rear end. The wheel wells were completely coated. I tried all sorts of things to clean it, which didn't work, until I tried some carb cleaner. That cleaned it great! I tested a tiny spot first and it seemed fine, so I sprayed more of it on a paper towel till it was pretty wet, and it just wiped the tar right off.

Thinking it bad to leave carb cleaner residue on the paint, I did a thorough washing right after. When still wet, it all looked perfect again. But after it dried, there is this subtle haze of swirls everywhere I cleaned, making the paint look slightly cloudy when in direct light. FYI, the paint is a metallic blue-green color.

Did I wreck the paint with the carb cleaner, or did it damage the clearcoat? Or did it leave some film or something on the paint that I now need to use another product to take off completely? When cleaning the paint, it wasn't scratching or rubbing or smearing or anything - and it looked like new again until some time after washing, once everything dried all the way. I've since washed it more times, and it always looks great when still wet, but the subtle swirls come back when it dries.

Thanks for any advice!

Rsurfer
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
It appears that you will need to polish and seal/wax.
I don't know what I drove through, but I got tar everywhere, and I mean everywhere - the front, the grill, the wheels, both sides up to the windows, and the rear end. The wheel wells were completely coated. I tried all sorts of things to clean it, which didn't work, until I tried some carb cleaner. That cleaned it great! I tested a tiny spot first and it seemed fine, so I sprayed more of it on a paper towel till it was pretty wet, and it just wiped the tar right off.

Thinking it bad to leave carb cleaner residue on the paint, I did a thorough washing right after. When still wet, it all looked perfect again. But after it dried, there is this subtle haze of swirls everywhere I cleaned, making the paint look slightly cloudy when in direct light. FYI, the paint is a metallic blue-green color.

Did I wreck the paint with the carb cleaner, or did it damage the clearcoat? Or did it leave some film or something on the paint that I now need to use another product to take off completely? When cleaning the paint, it wasn't scratching or rubbing or smearing or anything - and it looked like new again until some time after washing, once everything dried all the way. I've since washed it more times, and it always looks great when still wet, but the subtle swirls come back when it dries.

Thanks for any advice!

Kevin Cullen
06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Carb cleaner will strip the wax and sealant off the paint for sure. I have had people put it on a freshly polish aluminum wheel and instantly the finish is dulled. Also do not spray carb cleaner/ brakleen on anything plastic! It will degrade the plasitc, melt it or cause it to crack.

Shane731
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks for any advice!

I'd say your paper towel caused marring, and that is what you're seeing. This is why it's always best to use quality tools and products when touching your paint, or you will end up creating even more work for yourself.

jersrt
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Do you think that applying on a new coat of wax and sealer would be enough to get it looking shiny and smooth again? And any suggestions of what's best to use in this case and how to go about it? I've never done waxing before, and I see there are loads of products and suggestions and links on this site on this topic... my head is starting to spin!

Thanks again.

bmwgalore
06-04-2012, 02:33 PM
No, in order to remove those swirls you must polish the paint beforethe sealant and wax.

We need photos to give you more precise information, but bottom line is:

1. IronX the paint
2. Clay
3. Polish with Meguiars 205 on a WHITE lake country flat pad.
4. Polish again with Menzerna SF4500 on a BLACK lake country flat pad.
5. Apply the sealant/wax you like the most (i recomend Finish Kare 1000p, $16) with a BLUE lake country pad.

But depending on the condition of your paint, it may require some compounding before hand.

TheCougarGuy
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
I had that happen with Tarminator on the rocker panel of my 67 Cougar. I flipped out when I saw it. I hit it with some one step and an orange pad and it fixed it right up.

jersrt
06-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, and I'll see if I can put a photo on here to give you a better idea of the condition now too.

FanaticFan
06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Can anyone recommend the best way to deal with such "tar apocalypses"? I've seen or heard about this happening over the past few years. Worst case was a beautiful new orange Camaro that got into a road unmarked as newly tar-gravelled, the guy got it all over his car by the handful (literally, especially the wheel wells) and was furious about it., rightly so.

CEE DOG
06-09-2012, 05:50 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/39864-review-carpro-tar-x.html

I agree with Shane, the paper towel scratched it and the carb cleaner dulled it.

oldmodman
06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
It is possible that the carb cleaner dissolved the topmost layer of clearcoat finish and has left it hazy. You will need to experiment on a portion of the finish to find what level of correction is needed to restore the shine. Start with your least aggressive cleaner or compound, least aggressive pad and so on.
Or you may get lucky and just a good cleaning and wax may take care of it.

mg6045
06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Carb cleaner likely softened the crap out of the clearcoat, and the paper towel left vicious marring I would imagine . The paint will need to be corrected.

mg6045
06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
No, in order to remove those swirls you must polish the paint beforethe sealant and wax.

We need photos to give you more precise information, but bottom line is:

1. IronX the paint
2. Clay
3. Polish with Meguiars 205 on a WHITE lake country flat pad.
4. Polish again with Menzerna SF4500 on a BLACK lake country flat pad.
5. Apply the sealant/wax you like the most (i recomend Finish Kare 1000p, $16) with a BLUE lake country pad.

But depending on the condition of your paint, it may require some compounding before hand.

I've got to question your recommendation.

Why would IronX be required as a solution to the OP's problem ? Especially as a "bottom line" as you say ?

When I think of bottom line, I think if the least amount of requirements. ie: the bottom line. So I've got to question why Ironx, and the finest polish offered on the market (SF4500) that a professional detailer has at his disposal for show car results would be considered a bottom line ?

I could be wrong, but if the OP used carb cleaner to remove tar on his paint, i'm doubting he used it on a show car. again I could be wrong.

I just see the forum trending away from what used to be known as "keeping it simple", and making some recommendations that just seem far out IME.

IME, posts like this scare new members away rather then make them feel comfortable.

I'm sorry to single you out. I dont mean to be argumentative.

tguil
06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
This is a question that should be answered by someone with a bit of experience that can see the actual damage...especially for a person with almost no experience in finish care. I suggest having someone at a good detail shop or body shop take a look at the damage. Carb cleaner contains acetone. Acetone will really mess up paint. I think at the least your car is going to need a thorough buffing by a pro.

Tom :cool:

FanaticFan
06-10-2012, 04:40 PM
As with many things, it's a question of balance. Experts here I'm sure are just trying to help, and perhaps on one side being over-optimistic about a do-it-yourselfer really being able to handle this correctly, or on the other, misinterpreting the extent of actual damage from afar.

I'd go with the "have a professional look at it" approach as long as you can find someone trustworthy, and that's always the hardest part.

I would tend to feel that carb cleaner on the paint has risked doing serious clearcoat damage, but then you really need to know who to talk to about doing the fix that is right for you.