PDA

View Full Version : First timer purchasing DA + polish

Pages : [1] 2

Gman91
06-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello all,

Currently, I detail my car by hand and have products here and there based on the situation. I plan on moving to the next level in car detailing by purchasing the DA (PC 7424XP) and the Meguiar's MF correction system. I have compiled a list of products I own and products I intend to purchase. Could the community let me know if I am missing any products or have products that may “overlap” one another or if there is a better one on the market?

I drive a 11’ VW GTI that has been washed using the two bucket method since I purchased it. Additionally, I clay it once a year and reapply wax when needed. I wash it approximately every 2-3 weeks; however, I am starting to notice some fairly light scratches and holagrams in areas that I tried to fix with Scratch X 2.0 :doh:

Current:
Meg’s Ultimate Quick Wax
Meg’s Ultimate Paste Wax
Meg’s Cleaner Wax
Meg’s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
Meg’s #7 Glaze
Meg’s Scratch X 2.0

Purchase:
Porter Cable XP
Meg's MF kit - Do I need a different counterweight?

Sealant - Meg's #21 vs Menz's Power Lock?
Menz's Power Finish 2500 (PO203)
Menz's Super Finish 4000 (PO106FA) vs 4500 (PO85RD)
=
Menzerna Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishing Compounds, Menzerna PO203 & PO106FA, car polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-bundle2.html)

Total: ~ $280, would prefer cheaper but... gotta pay to play I guess? :buffing:

Questions:
1: As a first timer, would the 5" or 6" kit be better? The garage is composed of my car, Mazda 3, and a Honda CRV. No trucks.

2: Menz's polishes used with Meg's MF discs acceptable?

3: It seems D300 is similar to M105 in cutting power. Since my vehicle's paint isn't in bad shape, would a less aggressive product like Menzerna's Power Finish work? Using Mike Phillips, "Use the least aggressive product to get the job done" in mind.

4: I also read on the forum that some individuals who first used M105 first then finished with M205 still noticed scratches. Of course, I won't be using those particular products, but if start with Menz's Power Finish do I still need to follow up with an less aggressive product? Menz's Super Finish polish be a good? 106FA vs 85RD?

5: I also intend to purchase a sealant, this would be the first time I have every used such a product. I have narrowed down to 2 products, Meg's #21 and Menz's Power lock sealant. Which would you recommend?

6: When I finally begin detailing would i take the following steps?

Wash with Dawn soap
Clay bar
Meg's paint cleaner
Re-wash using regular car soap or dawn again?

Correction with D300/Menz's Power finish + MF cutting disc
Menz's Super finish polish + MF finish disc
Seal with Sealant - Since wax provided in Meg's MF kit has abrasives, should I use it before apply the sealant? Any bonding issues?
Apply choice of wax

Enjoy the clean car only to see it get ruined by pollen in a week :cry:

Thanks,
Jeff

Really appreciate the help guys! :bowdown:

wysiwyg
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Questions:
1: As a first timer, would the 5" or 6" kit be better? The garage is composed of my car, Mazda 3, and a Honda CRV. No trucks.

I'd go with 5" backing plate with 5.5" flat pads. Much easier to work with than the larger thicker pads.

No experience with either product.

3: It seems D300 is similar to M105 in cutting power. Since my vehicle's paint isn't in bad shape, would a less aggressive product like Menzerna's Power Finish work? Using Mike Phillips, "Use the least aggressive product to get the job done" in mind.

If you're paint is not in bad shape, then definitely go with a less agressive polish like M205

4: I also read on the forum that some individuals who first used M105 first then finished with M205 still noticed scratches. Of course, I won't be using those particular products, but if start with Menz's Power Finish do I still need to follow up with an less aggressive product? Menz's Super Finish polish be a good? 106FA vs 85RD?

I use the M105/205 combo which works well for removing scratches. You may also want to consider an AIO. I've had good results with XMT 360

5: I also intend to purchase a sealant, this would be the first time I have every used such a product. I have narrowed down to 2 products, Meg's #21 and Menz's Power lock sealant. Which would you recommend?

I skip the sealant step on daily drivers and use an AIO instead.

Wash with Dawn soap
Clay bar
Meg's paint cleaner

Seal with Sealant - Since wax provided in Meg's MF kit has abrasives, should I use it before apply the sealant? Any bonding issues?
Apply choice of wax

Thanks,
Jeff

See above

maximus20895
06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Here's my take on this..

Hello all,

Currently, I detail my car by hand and have products here and there based on the situation. I plan on moving to the next level in car detailing by purchasing the DA (PC 7424XP) and the Meguiar's MF correction system. I have compiled a list of products I own and products I intend to purchase. Could the community let me know if I am missing any products or have products that may “overlap” one another or if there is a better one on the market?

I drive a 11’ VW GTI that has been washed using the two bucket method since I purchased it. Additionally, I clay it once a year and reapply wax when needed. I wash it approximately every 2-3 weeks; however, I am starting to notice some fairly light scratches and holagrams in areas that I tried to fix with Scratch X 2.0 :doh:

Current:
Meg’s Ultimate Quick Wax
Meg’s Ultimate Paste Wax
Meg’s Cleaner Wax
Meg’s #7 Glaze
Meg’s Scratch X 2.0

Purchase:
Porter Cable XP

=
Menzerna Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishing Compounds, Menzerna PO203 & PO106FA, car polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-bundle2.html)

Questions:

5" for sure. Sometimes the DA doesn't have enough power to use the 6". It just depends.

I don't know about this one either. Although, I like using Meg's polishes and would advice them for the beginner since they don't break down and you don't have to work the polish until the abrasive break down. Just look up SMAT vs DAT.

It might. M205 might also work. This is kinda hard to say since there are so many variables. This is also where having several products come into play. All I can tell you is it just varies.

106FA can take out more scratches than 85RD, but it might not finish as nice. Some people say it does some people say it doesn't. Of course, once again it depends on the paint. If your paint is super soft and black than 85RD would be a good idea to get.

I would get Menzerna Power Lock. I don't even think Meg's 21 is even in the same boat. I would view Power Lock as a more "semi-esoteric" sealant and Meg's 21 as a general sealant that would be used for soccer mom's etc. I'm not saying Meg's 21 is bad at all, but since these are your cars I would think you would want something better and I think Power Lock is just that.

Wash with Dawn soap
Clay bar
Meg's paint cleaner
Apply choice of wax

I would even bother with paint cleaner or re-washing the car again. I don't know what wax in the MF kit has abrasives. I can't even find the kit and don't know what it comes with. For your LSP you apply sealant, wait 12 hours for certain ones likes Power Lock and then apply your wax.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Hello all,

Current:
Meg’s Ultimate Quick Wax
Meg’s Ultimate Paste Wax
Meg’s Cleaner Wax
Meg’s #7 Glaze
Meg’s Scratch X 2.0

Purchase:
Porter Cable XP

=

You don't need a counterweight for the MF system, the Meguiar's DA doesn't even give you this option.

Foam still finishes out better than fiber pads. I hate to be a broken record but here goes, the Microfiber DA System is for production detailing. Nothing wrong with this but there's a difference between Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing.

The sealants are both good, the Menz is probably a little easier to work with it dries fast and wipes off really easy.

Questions:

5.5" pads for DA as the pads fit car panels better and rotate better under pressure.

If you're going to use Menzerna Polishes then get foam pads and have the best of both worlds. If you're going to use Megs MF Pads then get their products.

D300 is not as aggressive as M105. Both work good, D300 is easier to work with.

[/QUOTE]

Just a tip... you'll get more answers and better answers if you only ask a few questions versus a ton of questions. I list why here,

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html)

:)

Buckskincolt
06-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Hello all,

Current:
Meg’s Ultimate Quick Wax
Meg’s Ultimate Paste Wax
Meg’s Cleaner Wax
Meg’s #7 Glaze
Meg’s Scratch X 2.0

Purchase:
Porter Cable XP

=

Questions:

Wash with Dawn soap
Clay bar
Meg's paint cleaner

Apply choice of wax

Thanks,
Jeff

I think the first thing you need to do here is choose between using Menzerna polishes or the Meguires micro fiber system. Above you keep trying to combine them and I think that would be a big mistake.
If you go Menzerna then get foam pads. If you want to try the MF system then go that way. I think you would be very happy using the MF system, simple to use great results.
I have other feedback but at this point i feel you need to decide rather than try to combine.:props:

As Mike said above the foam pads finish better for show car looks, the MF is for production. That said if these cars a daily drivers then the production polish will be great and look really awesome. If you what that wow glass finish then you need to choose a system that uses foam pads.
Think 5.5" no matter what way you go for a Da polisher.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I just posted this to another thread and it fits here,

And this one,

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

Both the above article and the one I previously posted are written to help you help yourself.

Typing in a vBulletin message board system isn't hard but answering lots and lots of questions is clumsy.

It's always better to start at thread that tells people what you're working on.

My tires are brown

Then ask a few questions

Why do they turn brown?
How can I remove the brown color
How can I keep them black longer?

Then when you have a NEW topic, like removing water spots off glass, start a new thread with a great title and a few questions.

By following these simple guidelines you make it EASY for the kind and helpful people on our forum to provide GREAT answers. Our kind and helpful forum member can provide GREAT answers if you make it HARD on them but why make it hard?

Make sense?

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Questions:

See my articles here,

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/48668-5-inch-backing-plates-meguiar-s-griot-s-porter-cable-da-polishers.html)

Thin is in... New Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28825-thin-new-lake-country-hydro-tech-low-profile-5-1-2-x-7-8-inch-foam-pads.html)

[QUOTE=Gman91;686421]

I've seen micro-marring using SF 4500 with a Megs MF Pad on my black test panels. I compared to Menzerna SF 4500 with a soft foam pad and no micro-marring. Read what I posted previously about this system. It's a great system for production detailing.

SI 1500 will take care of the majority of swirls and scratch problems for most people. Works great with foam pads on any DA Polisher.

do I still need to follow up with an less aggressive product?

Menz's Super Finish polish be a good? 106FA vs 85RD?

Yes. 106FA over the 85RD as it will tackle deeper swirls or haze left behind from an aggressive process. Get 85RD if you're a perfectionist.

I was at Meguiar's when M21 was introduced and I've had nothing but good luck with it. That said I do like the Powerlock. Dries fast, leaves a very slick surface. To good features in a paint sealant.

Hope that helps...

Gman91
06-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies, sorry about that Mike!

After some more research and reading the responses, I definitely want to keep it simple.

1: MF 5" kit and use provided D300. If hazing occurs after D300, then purchase M205.
2: Apply Menz's Power Lock Sealant using Single 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/h2o-1255-130mm-.html)
3: D301 to finish

Sound good?

Thanks for the informative thread on the backing plates Mike! Good to know the provided "W67DA" will fit the 5 1/2 x 7/8 LC Hydro-Tech Pad's.

Buckskincolt
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies, sorry about that Mike!

After some more research and reading the responses, I definitely want to keep it simple.

1: MF 5" kit and use provided D300. If hazing occurs after D300, then purchase M205.
2: Apply Menz's Power Lock Sealant using Single 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Hydro-Tech Crimson Finishing Foam Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/h2o-1255-130mm-.html)
3: D301 to finish

Sound good?

Thanks for the informative thread on the backing plates Mike! Good to know the provided "W67DA" will fit the 5 1/2 x 7/8 LC Hydro-Tech Pad's.

No need for the 205. The D301 is not just a wax it is a light polish that will remove any hazing from the D300. Not sure what the bonding is going to be like on the power lock topping on the D301 hybrid wax?:dunno:

Also some say not to apply an Sealant/wax with the crimson ht pads because they have a slight cut and could cause slight marring. I used them a lot before I heard that and never noticed any but have since switched to the Blue flat pads. Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Gman91
06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Not sure what the bonding is going to be like on the power lock topping on the D301 hybrid wax?:dunno:

Very good point! I guess D301 would basically "erode" the sealant? :confused:

Perhaps D300 + D301, then sealant and then a "true" wax?

Buckskincolt
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Very good point! I guess D301 would basically "erode" the sealant? :confused:

Perhaps D300 + D301, then sealant and then a "true" wax?
No, the deal is the sealant (power loc)won't want to bond to the protection coat left behind by the D301 (d301 is the final step in polishing with the MF system). So either another hybrid wax like chemical guys butter wet wax or a sealant like DP Poli-coat that has a mild cleaner in it that will make the sealant bond over the D301.
Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-butter-wet-wax.html)
DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant, polymer paint sealant, auto paint sealant, DP Policoat paint sealant, paint sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-poli-coat-paint-sealant.html)

Gman91
06-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Also some say not to apply an Sealant/wax with the crimson ht pads because they have a slight cut and could cause slight marring. I used them a lot before I heard that and never noticed any but have since switched to the Blue flat pads. Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

Wow, that's definitely great to know!

No, the deal is the sealant (power loc)won't want to bond to the protection coat left behind by the D301 (d301 is the final step in polishing with the MF system). So either another hybrid wax like chemical guys butter wet wax or a sealant like DP Poli-coat that has a mild cleaner in it that will make the sealant bond over the D301.
Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-butter-wet-wax.html)
DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant, polymer paint sealant, auto paint sealant, DP Policoat paint sealant, paint sealer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-poli-coat-paint-sealant.html)

Going with the DP Poli-Coat Sealant. BobbyG's review convinced me :p

Just to clarify the steps...

D300 with MF Cutting
D301 with MF Finishing
DP Poli-Coat Sealant with LC Blue flat pad
Apply wax with LC Blue flat pad

Mike Phillips
06-05-2012, 07:45 AM

D300 with MF Cutting
D301 with MF Finishing

That will work and the Detailers Poli-Coat is a durable sealant. Do apply a thin coat and read this article before using it...

A tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37279-tip-working-waxes-paint-sealants-coatings-new-you.html)

I wouldn't be too concerned about "bonding issues", to me that topic is much to do about nothing... I've never walked out into a garage the next day after a detailing session to find out the last coat of whatever I applied slipped off the car because it didn't bond and piled up on the garage floor surround the car body.

If the manufacture of a specific product states the surface must be chemically stripped for maximum bonding then follow their directions. IF not then don't turn waxing your car into rocket science.

See this very detailed article on the topic and then focus on having fun with detailing your car...

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html)

Sheldon explaining Quantum Physics to Penny on the Big Bang Theory
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/molculesbonding.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

bmwgalore
06-05-2012, 07:51 AM
+1 for Penny!

Buckskincolt
06-05-2012, 08:57 AM

D300 with MF Cutting
D301 with MF Finishing

Yes, that's it. Don't forget the wash and clay!
If you really like the power locK I guess you can give it a shot. Mike says to not worry so I'd take his word. Most of everything I have read says to apply sealants on a clean bare paint but that's sounds like its only for sealants that spec that?

I think you will be very happy with your results!:dblthumb2:

P.S. + Another for Penny!