PDA

View Full Version : How To Duragloss (PBA 601)

Pages : [1] 2

LayerMeDammit
03-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, Im expecting My shipment of duragloss/wolfgang soon and I just wanted to ask about the proper way of applying the PBA. Im using a polishing cleaner 1st then applying the PBA before the TPP #105. Now I was wondering How long should I leave on the PBA before I apply The TPP #105 and then How long should I wait till I remove Both. Also Should I use the PBA everytime I layer The #105 or is it a once a year type of product? I've searched many forums but there are many opinions as to the length of time I should wait.

Thank you!!

Al-53
03-28-2007, 07:50 AM
The PBA should be applied by hand...if you use a PC you will use a lot of product..I tried a PC once and seemed the pad sucked up a lot of the product...some others tried also and same results...it has the consistency of hand creme

Doing by hand is fast....just apply it wait about 30 minutes and then do 105 over it and wait another 30-45 minutes ..this depends on the temps and humidity..if warm and dry 30 minutes is good...if humid wait at least 45 minutes..do a swipe test on the haze to see if dried completely...

you only need to apply PBA once to first layer of 105....no more after that..it just ensures the first layer has a clean surface to bond to and sorta hardens the first layer faster....

The PBA seems to disappear into the paint..so do not over apply thinking its not there...use a foam or Microfiber applicator to apply..you may notice the pad getting black...that's just cleaning the surface of contaminants...no worries it doing its job...it cleaning any residue on the paint.. off...

when applying the 105..just a lite spray of AW on the pad will help prime it..just a LITE spray to make sorta damp..do not soak it..only need to do once..the 105 will keep it primed there after...

Process..

PBA by hand...wait 30 minutes..

105 over the PBA by hand wait 30-45 minutes...longer if needed...buff off and enjoy..

Next layer next day if want more coats...

I am going to do a write up soon on ways to do the DG system...I have one more method I want to try and see if it works before i do the write up..the weather is getting nice now here and will try it soon..

any questions just ask...
Al

BILL
03-28-2007, 08:02 AM
The PBA should be applied by hand...if you use a PC you will use a lot of product..I tried a PC once and seemed the pad sucked up a lot of the product...some others tried also and same results...it has the consistency of hand creme

Doing by hand is fast....just apply it wait about 30 minutes and then do 105 over it and wait another 30-45 minutes ..this depends on the temps and humidity..if warm and dry 30 minutes is good...if humid wait at least 45 minutes..do a swipe test on the haze to see if dried completely...

you only need to apply PBA once to first layer of 105....no more after that..it just ensures the first layer has a clean surface to bond to and sorta hardens the first layer faster....

The PBA seems to disappear into the paint..so do not over apply thinking its not there...use a foam or Microfiber applicator to apply..you may notice the pad getting black...that's just cleaning the surface of contaminants...no worries it doing its job...it cleaning any residue on the paint.. off...

when applying the 105..just a lite spray of AW on the pad will help prime it..just a LITE spray to make sorta damp..do not soak it..only need to do once..the 105 will keep it primed there after...

Process..

105 over the PBA by hand wait 30-45 minutes...longer if needed...buff off and enjoy..

I am going to do a write up soon on ways to do the DG system...I have one more method I want to try and see if it works before i do the write up..the weather is getting nice now here and will try it soon..

Al

Can you top a glaze such as Menzerna F.T.G. with P.B.A prior to W.G.D.G.?

Al-53
03-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Can you top a glaze such as Menzerna F.T.G. with P.B.A prior to W.G.D.G.?

Bill..Never used that glaze...I have used a Acrylic type glaze and had no problems..but the Menzerna has fillers and oils so the cleaner may remove them

Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze is a water-based emulsion of glycerin, mineral oils and Kaolin (China Clay). Wetting oils create the liquid, shimmer of fresh paint while Kaolin clays fill and mask minor swirls and imperfections.....

All you can do is try it and see if it works...

Some sealants do not do good with the wetting oils...some do...But I do not know which ones do...

But I do know the PBA will remove oils..old dying wax and sealants at the end of their life cycle..it is a cleaner and catalyst bonding agent

Al

Fog Runner
03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Is the PBA a must for the DG 105 I just ordered some 105 try, but thought that I read on here that the PBA was not a must as long as you were sure to do a wipe down with the DG cleaner or use an AIO first. Just want to make sure to do it right the first time.

Thanks

Jimmie
03-28-2007, 09:49 AM
I am going to do a write up soon on ways to do the DG system...I have one more method I want to try and see if it works before i do the write up..the weather is getting nice now here and will try it soon.. AL

YEAH ! Really be looking forward to that Al. :applause:

qadsan
03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Is the PBA a must for the DG 105 I just ordered some 105 try, but thought that I read on here that the PBA was not a must as long as you were sure to do a wipe down with the DG cleaner or use an AIO first. Just want to make sure to do it right the first time.
Thanks
No, PBA is definitely not a must. It's great if you have it, but it's not a must. Just make sure your have a fresh clean & prepped surface like you would want with any LSP.

Al-53
03-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Correct..PBA is not a must...you can use 105 over any AIO type product with out using PBA..over a clean polished surface after a wipe down..but PBA does add a little to the 111 or 105..just like Z1 or ZFX adds to Z2 or Z5...from what was explained to me..it adds a bonding agent to the paint while it cleans off the surface..and adds a little hardness to the sealant...even DG said..if a good cleaned prepped surface is there..no need to add PBA if not wanting to ..just a wipe down is needed..so to me if a wipe down is needed just as quick to use the PBA over polished paint..

I use 101 as a base and then 105 and no PBA..but if I was to just polish and do just 105..I use it..it was made for a purpose so why not use it ..

All their products work as described so guess I trust their application procedures..

Their description of what it does

Is similar to an epoxy (A&B) and bonds chemically when it comes into contact with durable polishes. Duragloss PBA will double the durability and protection of polishes when applied prior to polishing.

so it has some usefulness according to them...

Remember they call their sealants Polishes

Al

LayerMeDammit
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Process..

Al

Thank you very much! Thats exactly what I needed to know.also Can't wait for the DG write up, Will it include the the use of all their products or just exterior products? Again Thank you very much!

Bags
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Yea AL is the man. I too will be much awaitng the the DG manual.

sparkie
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Al
Woot Woot! I'm excited.Im the MAN :awesome: Im the MAN :awesome:

Fog Runner
03-29-2007, 08:35 AM
So as long as you use 101 as a base there are no bonding issues. You can just put on the 101 followed by the 105 and your done, no PBA is needed? Does the PBA offer any benifits to the 101 or is it just wiped away by the cleaners in the 101. Is 12 hours long enough to wait between the 101 and 105. Sorry for all of the questions, I am just wanting to try a few different products to see what I like the best and it seems each product has its own learning curve.

FR

Al-53
03-29-2007, 10:15 AM
No need to use PBA with 101..101 is a strong cleaner...it will clean your paint of most contaminents and waxes on it Plus more....

do this..

Clay

Polish

101 then buff it off after 30 minutes

105 then buff off after 30-45 minutes...

I have done 101 in the morning and then 105 that afternoon ..no problems...some have done 101 and 2 hours later done 105 and worked good...

depends on the weather...if it is warm and dry they set up faster..if warm and humid it takes a bit longer so the wait period is longer...

example

warm and dry outside...101 that morning ..105 late afternoon...

warm and humid...101 that day and 105 the next day...or late evening the same day..

after I apply and buff off...I set the truck in the sun to let it cure (setup) faster...as long as the air is dry..

Humidity plays a big part on set up times...the more moisture in the air the longer setup time...

Al

Fog Runner
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Al,

Thanks for the help! Great info. I have a plan now, looks like I need to get some 101 coming my way, I have everything else ready and waiting. I am hoping to get around to getting the truck done in the next 2 weeks or so.

FR

LayerMeDammit
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
I recieved my package of Duragloss. I got Precleaner 652, PBA 601 and TPP 105. I was wondering if I could use these products in the sun, or does the car need to be cool and in the shade. I know My friend used a product like Nu Finish before and he said it could be used in direct sunlight So I was wondering if I could do the same with this. Thanks!!