PDA

View Full Version : Can you use simple green on wheels?

ForceField
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Simple question about Simple Green: Is it ok to use on wheels?

My wheels aren't very dirty at all so I didn't want to get a dedicated wheel cleaner.

So far I've been using just the car wash solution to clean the wheels but next time around I was thinking of spraying some Simple Green first and letting it sit before agitating with soap and a brush to get them even cleaner. Just want to check with you experts to make sure it's not too harsh or contraindicated for painted wheels or something.

Thanks!

rider9195
06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
You can use it on wheels. But it isn't the most safe cleaner. I would pick up some Mothers All Wheel Cleaner. Effective and safe.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 10:11 AM
If your wheels are chrome, go for it as chrome is pretty much impervious to anything except moisture and salt over time.

If you're wheel have a clear coat finish or are polished aluminum then I would avoid using household cleaners. I've read a lot of horror stories on forums like this one over the years from people using the wrong cleaner only to stain their wheels.

Then comes the post,

How to fix wheels?

:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Because of its corrosiveness and lack of any real performance I haven't used it for years.

There are many other products specifically designed for cleaning wheels that work a lot better....

Tire & Wheel Cleaners, tire cleaner, wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, alloy wheel cleaner, rim cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/tire-wheel-cleaners.html)

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 10:15 AM
One thing for sure, if a person screws up any "clear" paint on their wheels, fixing the problem won't be any fun but it will be time-consuming and require a lot of work.

Most non-acid wheel cleaners from any reputable brand actually work pretty well. Most can also be used to clean the blooming off your tires too...

:)

mwoolfso
06-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I use Simple Green on wheels to this day; among other products like Megs APC+.

The corrosion risks are there with Simple Green's "green label" product (which is what I have); and only for certain metals like uncoated aluminum. They do have a product line that is unique to autos; which was not the case years ago.

As for me, I just don't let the product dry on the wheels. It's wash, scrub and thoroughly rinse. The product works.

JBL
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
They do have a product line that is unique to autos; which was not the case years ago.

+1...though i don't know much about the formula and how it differs.

As for me, I just don't let the product dry on the wheels. It's wash, scrub and thoroughly rinse. The product works.

+2. I also dilute it pretty good (3:1 IIRC). It's still a good cleaner, but it's A) not as harsh and B) lasts a lil' while longer.

ForceField
06-04-2012, 04:14 PM
If your wheels are chrome, go for it as chrome is pretty much impervious to anything except moisture and salt over time.

If you're wheel have a clear coat finish or are polished aluminum then I would avoid using household cleaners. I've read a lot of horror stories on forums like this one over the years from people using the wrong cleaner only to stain their wheels.

Then comes the post,

How to fix wheels?

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike! Now to look for a non acid wheel cleaner that is safe for my painted aluminum wheels. Anyone have a favorite brand?

mwoolfso
06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
+1...though i don't know much about the formula and how it differs.

+2. I also dilute it pretty good (3:1 IIRC). It's still a good cleaner, but it's A) not as harsh and B) lasts a lil' while longer.

You can go 60:1 and will probably get some good cleaning ability with SG.

mg6045
06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Here you go.

Sonus ALL-IN-1 Total Auto Cleaner Concentrate, concentrated cleaner, AIO cleaner, car cleaning, auto cleaning products (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-all-in-1-cleaner.html)

clear coat safe. Also polished aluminum safe at the correct dilution.

Make 3.5 gallons of cleaner out of the bottle and just spray on any material for some extra cleaning power.

I know people will mention Megs APC+ or something with a bigger dilution, but the reality is that Sonus APC was DESIGNED to be clear coat safe and use's a newer and safer technology than most.

bmwgalore
06-04-2012, 05:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Simple Green has a line up made for cars, it's called SG-Max, black bottles...

But the price is basically the same of a car specific product, so why take the risk?

Optimum Power Clean will take care of almost everything..