PDA

View Full Version : value with oem parts.

Pages : [1] 2

215Detailing
06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
customer wants BMW EMBLEM on front windsheild worry about value depreciation if not original .... Any thoughts car is a 5 series 2009

FUNX650
06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
customer wants BMW EMBLEM on front windsheild worry about value depreciation if not original .... Any thoughts car is a 5 series 2009

Surely there must be another/better way for this customer to find their BMW parked at their local Wal-mart parking lot!! :D

J/K

I'll suggest:
Just tell 'em that it is, indeed, a: 'value-added-customization'...
And charge them accordingly.

:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM

No ones going to look at that at trade in

215Detailing
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks Flash customer BMW Windsheild was cracked during my possession, so I was paying for new Glass, Glass replacement guy brings glass that was on order from a week before, customer says glass does not say BMW, wanted original replacement no problem but it set be back a hundred plus, worried the car would lose value.....wow...1st glass came with lifetime warranty as well so being that it was a used car I figured it had already depreciated. Glass replacement guy had to go to BMW I believe to get proper glass when other glass was just as good as O.E.M

swanicyouth
06-04-2012, 01:35 PM
BMW windshields are quite expensive. I had one replaced at the the dealer for about 1200.00$. On the same car, I later had in replaced by the local glass company for $225.00. The later was a PPG. I PPG makes most of the glass for the domestically assembled BMWs. However, a 5 series isn't one of them. I know options like heated windshield can bring the cost up more. I don't know how it was broken. However, a non - BMW windshield diminishing the value is
kind of B.S. if he is going to trade in the car, I can't see that being a deal braker. I think the brand of windshield (PPG is very good) and the quality of the work is more important than it actually being a BMW windshield. There can be differences in the color of the glass(tint), whether it has rain sensing wipers or not, etc... An OTC windshield may or may not have the subtleties. I guess the customer has the final say (if it wasn't his fault) and what he will accept, is what he will accept. Good luck.

Flannigan
06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I think it's dumb for them to ask, but if you broke it, then you're kinda at their mercy. If you want to have a satisfied customer I would get them a factory glass, if you don't care, tell them to pound sand...lol

As for the actual question though, I highly doubt anyone would even look for the BMW logo on the glass.

6supersport7
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I guess I differ from others. If my windshield was broke and it was not my fault, I would want it back exactly like it was. I am very anal when buying/looking at cars. If I seen that the windshield was not an original, I would wonder why. Could it have been in a un-reported accident? Is there other things that are not original? These are questions I would ask myself and may just push me into looking for a different vehicle with out these worries. I would just replace it to exactly how it was before damage because thats what I would expect if the roles were reversed.

215Detailing
06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
swanicyouth thanks the PPG was just as good what the glass company stated to me, customer just wanted the glass to have BMW on it,PPG glass had all same sensors just don't say BMW........
Flannigan thanks, You are right I was at their mercy, now When I do my taxes I claim that as a lost since I have reciept from glass company

Flash Gordon
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I would get them a "new" replacement glass and tell them thats the best its going to get

More then likely you're never going to hear from this person again regardless of what you do

bmwgalore
06-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Looks like none of you own expensive cars ($200K plus)...
Like hell I would let anyone replace my Maybach windshield with some after market stuff... You would end up spending a lot more with Lawyer fees down the road when you get served with a big-ass lawsuit.

Do you have Insurance?

Flannigan
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Like hell I would let anyone replace my Maybach windshield with some after market stuff... You would end up spending a lot more with Lawyer fees down the road when you get served with a big-ass lawsuit.

Do you have Insurance?
Honestly, how big of a lawsuit could you file for a cracked windshield?

Flash Gordon
06-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Do you have Insurance?

If it was an exotic or some super rare car, I would do whatever the customer demanded. If it was a BMW that I know in 10 years will have a retail value of $3,500 I would go the least expensive route (without sacrificing safety) possible

Yes I have insurance

bmwgalore
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
If the guy has insurance, just let them take care of it, don't even sweat it... The worst that could happen is get $20 raise on your premium..

Whether you agree or not, you can't "go the least expensive route".. Unless you want a big lawsuit of course..

Let's just agree on disagree.

Flash Gordon
06-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Let's just agree to disagree.

:iagree:

dougaross
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
BMW windshields are quite expensive. I had one replaced at the the dealer for about 1200.00$. On the same car, I later had in replaced by the local glass company for $225.00. The later was a PPG. I PPG makes most of the glass for the domestically assembled BMWs. However, a 5 series isn't one of them. I know options like heated windshield can bring the cost up more. I don't know how it was broken. However, a non - BMW windshield diminishing the value is
kind of B.S. if he is going to trade in the car, I can't see that being a deal braker. I think the brand of windshield (PPG is very good) and the quality of the work is more important than it actually being a BMW windshield. There can be differences in the color of the glass(tint), whether it has rain sensing wipers or not, etc... An OTC windshield may or may not have the subtleties. I guess the customer has the final say (if it wasn't his fault) and what he will accept, is what he will accept. Good luck.
My Audi with rain sensing wipers just got a OTC windshield - every thing works fine.