PDA

View Full Version : Black paint

Pages : [1] 2

brian45acp
06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
So is it to be expected that no matter what you do there will be some fine scratches in the clear?

Seriously I have bought everything to wash properly and all the best towels etc. I think 1 time I tried to remove some light surface dust with a QD and it may have been that time I got most of the fine lines from.

Honestly I am new to this but am beginning to think its impossible to not get those fine lines. My truck looks amazing compared to any other black I see but if I look real close under a LED light I see new lines. When it comes time to polish again I am sure the AIO will remove most of them but between now and then I guess the game is to prevent more scratches and just live with the ones that are there.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 08:41 AM
The clear layer of paint, with a solid color under it makes it easy for our eyes to see defects on the surface easy.

Clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive, that means that even though they are harder than single stage paints they still scratch very easily.

Black isn't a color, it's a full time job"

I owned a black SUV one time and I would never do that again. I would own a "cool" car in black, but not a daily driver and certainly not an SUV

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2Pilot_New.jpg

No coating I've tested resisted scratching either so pick your poison, wax, paint sealant or coating. Finding a good spray wax and then using it often should get you and keep you at the 98% to 99% flawless category.

:xyxthumbs:

SR99
06-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I think it's probably true that just driving your vehicle and/or parking it outside subjects it to "sand blasting" over time, just from particles suspended in the air, and particles spit up by following other vehicles.

Since you park and drive in all different directions and the wind can be in different directions on top of that, you'll get random fine scratches even if you had some hypothetical, perfect touch-free wash and wax method.

Just my theory. You'd have to do a controlled wind tunnel dust blasting test on a brand new paint job to prove it, but I think you'll have fine scratches for any daily driver eventually. Good wash and wax technique only prolongs the inevitable. Blasting your car with air to remove any loose particles before you wash or wax probably can't hurt.

Largebore
06-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I think it's probably true that just driving your vehicle and/or parking it outside subjects it to "sand blasting" over time, just from particles suspended in the air, and particles spit up by following other vehicles.

Since you park and drive in all different directions and the wind can be in different directions on top of that, you'll get random fine scratches even if you had some hypothetical, perfect touch-free wash and wax method.

Just my theory. You'd have to do a controlled wind tunnel dust blasting test on a brand new paint job to prove it, but I think you'll have fine scratches for any daily driver eventually. Good wash and wax technique only prolongs the inevitable. Blasting your car with air to remove any loose particles before you wash or wax probably can't hurt.

So what is the best plan for a black car.
Swirls, pits, alien scratches are par for the course.
Does it make sense to polish on a very regular basis with some not to agressive polish to keep the swirls etc at bay? IF so, what would be the "spruce up" polish? PO85RD ?

truckbutt
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Just my 2c:
I have a black car with soft paint. Breathing next to it gives it scratches. I do a complete correction/detail only when it gets to the point that the swirls start to bother me. That usually works out to twice a year. The rest of the time I'm washing, sealing, waxing, glazing and doing spot correction if I get a linear scrach. I think that correcting every time you see swirls is going to make you crazy (For me it's too late.) and thin your clear out prematurely. I have a full time job and then some. For me it comes down to living with what's good enough.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Does it make sense to polish on a very regular basis with some not to agressive polish to keep the swirls etc at bay? IF so, what would be the "spruce up" polish? PO85RD ?

That or GPS is pretty good with a soft foam pad on a DA Polisher...

Wtih GPS you'll clean, polish and protect in one step.

:)

jcedorjr
06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I have a black VW and bought a house on a dirt road (good idea I know :props:) so for the past year, have really had my work cut out for me. I wash it frequently but used to use a California duster religously followed by quick detailer however found the scratches all of the time, so gave that up and have switched to a waterless wash which has helped immensely with those fine scratches. For those scratches though I've had the best luck with the Pinnacle Paint Lotion and since it has no abrasives, I felt safe using it more often if necessary. I always keep up on the wax and the car looks pretty nice all of the time. Hopefully that helps.

6supersport7
06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I own a Black 67 chevelle SS. Like said, it's a full time job. This car just comes out for cruises and shows. While at these, I have to remove the dust that is attracted to it like a magnet. I use either a quick detailer or a Cali Duster. Because of this I get light scratches sometimes no matter what my method. Like mentioned above, glazes and wax are used regularly to keep it looking great. Every few months I usually go over it with 85rd with a black foam pad. Balck is my favorite color on vehicles but because of this I will never own a Black DD.

brian45acp
06-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah this is a Black Tundra Crew Max so its a challenge. I hardly drive it and it sits in the garage mostly. I use the Cali Duster also which is great for removing the dust it gets just from being in the garage. I dont think that is scratching the paint and I only dance the fibers on it and never apply pressure. I dont use it to remove dirt just dust or pollen.

I am not quite sure how I would remove a scratch from just one spot because I have a multi layer process of product on the paint. I figure I would live with it until it comes time to start over and use an AIO with light abrasives.

I love the black and it looks amazing but I am thinking charcoal grey would have been better. My wifes car is metallic dark grey and its very hard to find scratches even with my LED light.

Its good to know I am not doing something wrong because I swear I am so careful and still see some fine lines coming up here and there. Nothing what an ordinary normal person would ever notice, but now that you guys got me all hyped up on this sickness I notice them. :)

nrsk4u
06-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Just my 2c:
I have a black car with soft paint. Breathing next to it gives it scratches. I do a complete correction/detail only when it gets to the point that the swirls start to bother me. That usually works out to twice a year. The rest of the time I'm washing, sealing, waxing, glazing and doing spot correction if I get a linear scrach. I think that correcting every time you see swirls is going to make you crazy (For me it's too late.) and thin your clear out prematurely. I have a full time job and then some. For me it comes down to living with what's good enough.

What's your favorite glaze?

truckbutt
06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
What's your favorite glaze?
I haven't used them all that much. I like WetGlaze 2.0 (http://www.wetglaze.com/purchase.html)

nrsk4u
06-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Seems like all the glazes I've seen have had cleaners in them. I'm not looking to strip my sealant, just do some minor scratch repair till I have time to correct the scratches. Seems like the wet glaze 2.0 is just the ticket I need as you can apply it under or over your existing sealant. Awsome, thanks !!

bmwgalore
06-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Poorboy's Black Hole is the best glaze you can buy for dark cars... Look it up online.

nrsk4u
06-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Poorboy's Black Hole is the best glaze you can buy for dark cars... Look it up online.

Problem with the PBBH is it strips all your wax and sealant. For a cleaning glaze I prefer BF as appose to PB.

brian45acp
06-05-2012, 05:44 PM
So what is the verdict on the Cali duster? Have you guys proven it scratches or not? I cant seem to tell that it does and not sure how it could when there is no pressure applied to it while it sweeps across the paint.

I am learning to just realize we are of the small percentage of people who ever notice this stuff. I bet any of our cars stand out in the bunch even though we know every little mark and scratch on the paint that others would never find, lol.