PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Sienna Plastic

davidc
06-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I have been fighting the plastic on this 2005 since new. Any exterior black plastic except the grill has been a nightmare. The rear hatch step has been the worst and I have used 303, Perl, UTTG without success. The last time I used oooo steel wool to get the oxidation off. I have an order of Solution Finish coming Tuesday so I started the prep for it. At first I used Mineral spirits which worked ok but then I remembered I had a can of Sem Kote sand free which I used when I replaced the dash in my Dodge. The Sem Kote is made for plastic and used prior to painting or dying to soften the plastic for good adhesion and actually absorb some into the plastic. This is the 50/50 shot of before and after. I sprayed the Sem Kote onto a terry cloth and cleaned until black again. I think the surface is well prepped for the solution Finish which I will apply and when dry I will apply UTTG over it and hope it lasts for at least a month.

Dave

davidc
06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I applied the solution finish on Saturday 6/9/12. It did restore the plastic back to where it was in 2005 and that is not saying much for the plastic on this thing. I let it set for about 8 Hours then wiped it down with a Terry cloth and applied a coat of UTTG. Sunday morning I applied another coat of UTTG. It really looks good compared to the gray plastic that was there although the Sem Kote did most of the work and Solution Finish restored the rest. I guess I will use the UTTG on it monthly and see if I can keep up with it. I have ordered CQuartz DLux to see how it compares with UTTG.

Dave