PDA

View Full Version : Newb

FG2toGDF
06-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Hello all,

My name is Sam & have been lurking around this forum off and on for a few years, mainly when I have had serious questions/concerns. I figured might as well join if I am using this as much as I do. I am located in the Chicago area. I own a 2004 Subaru STi and a 2008 Honda Civic Si. I have always done my own detailing, but never professional level, and just recently decided to change that up. I have a Craftsman Rotary Buffer, but nothing special, so the next paycheck is the first of many going towards a large quantity of AG goodies. New DA's, compounds, waxes, and wheel cleaners.

I am pretty particular and I really love my Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner. As for the rest, I am pretty open as to what products to use, I switch up every now and then to see if there is something better available. I have recently been using the Meguiars Tech Wax 2.0 (I think thats it, all I know is its a liquid and it comes in the purple bottle).

Hope to see you guys around, and dont be alarmed if I start attempting to pick brains for some info.

Sam

rider9195
06-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online Sam!

BobbyG
06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Sam,

:welcome: To Autogeek Online! :props:

Suggestions and recommendations will be plentiful and wide ranging I'm certain! :laughing:

Everyone starts off as a beginner but with some reading, questions, and trial, error, and practice you'll be amazed how much you'll be able to do. After reading and understanding some of the basics, the more hands on your are the quicker you'll build your knowledge and gain experience.

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Make detailing enjoyable and practice. Take your time and do not become overwhelmed. Just because there are a thousand product doesn't mean you have to use them all.

Pick one product from each category from the steps above. You already have some great waxes so you're that far ahead of the game..

vet
06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Welcome from NW Illinois!

Old Tiger
06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Welcome Sam! I would recommend the Megs orr Optimum MF cutting pads regardless of what DA you select.

A-train
06-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Welcome to AG Sam!

Mike Phillips
06-04-2012, 06:05 AM
My name is Sam & have been lurking around this forum off and on for a few years, mainly when I have had serious questions/concerns. I figured might as well join if I am using this as much as I do.

Hi Sam,

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

We love seeing lurkers transition to active members!

:welcome: