PDA

View Full Version : Firat detail lined up

pyles1735
06-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Well I have a car booked for Monday, a 2005 I think mustang gt for a family friend. It hasn't been cleaned or touched for 3 years and has a hood that is blanketed with bugs.

I plan to get before and after pics posted once the time comes.

So far lined up in my plan is

Vacuum
Clean and protect vinyl
Odor elimination
Door jambs
Clean wheel wells
Clean and polish rims
Dress tires
Wash exterior
Clay
Possibly wax but there are a few paint chips off and I didn't know if I need to hold off on the wax or how to handle dealing with the spots
Windows and treatment

I want to hopefully fix the paint later on once I check exactly how bad it is and what exact problems there is.

As for the wheels I didn't get but a 5 second look but I think they may have some rust or bad wear on them.

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have cleaned the wheel wells on cars before but it was a pain any tips?

Sent from my Desire HD using AG Online

pyles1735
06-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Forgot to add, they know I do this as a hobby and the pics probably won't show a professional job but I do have 5-6 people wanting me to set their cars up on a routine cleaning.

So be easy guys.

Also another few questions, how do you get water spots off polished aluminum trim? Preferably with a product that I already have.

Thanks guys

pho_shizzle
06-02-2012, 11:41 PM
A chemical water spot remover such as chemical guys water spot remover.

rustytruck
06-03-2012, 05:52 AM
If your going to give it a good cleaning you might as well wax it. Even better polish it first. That is what makes it look really good. I'm not sure why you are worried about the paint chips. All cars have at least a few.

pyles1735
06-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Well some of these paint chips are around 2 square inches...

There's only 2 places like that but still had me worried.

pho_shizzle
06-03-2012, 03:00 PM
In my experience, when unexperienced people try to apply touch up paint, on such a large defective area such as that.... it only makes it stand out even MORE and looks a lot worst.

pyles1735
06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
That's what I was worried about would it be better to just wax around it or not at all.

storm100
06-03-2012, 08:48 PM
A chemical water spot remover such as chemical guys water spot remover.

205 and a microfiber works well.

Infinitiman
06-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Well I have a car booked for Monday, a 2005 I think mustang gt for a family friend. It hasn't been cleaned or touched for 3 years and has a hood that is blanketed with bugs.

I plan to get before and after pics posted once the time comes.

So far lined up in my plan is

Vacuum
Clean and protect vinyl
Odor elimination
Door jambs
Clean wheel wells
Clean and polish rims
Dress tires
Wash exterior
Clay
Possibly wax but there are a few paint chips off and I didn't know if I need to hold off on the wax or how to handle dealing with the spots
Windows and treatment

I want to hopefully fix the paint later on once I check exactly how bad it is and what exact problems there is.

As for the wheels I didn't get but a 5 second look but I think they may have some rust or bad wear on them.

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have cleaned the wheel wells on cars before but it was a pain any tips?

I didn't see anything about cleaning the tires, I would do that pre-dressing them, I'm not sure what products you have but tuf shine is very effective, and from what I've read so is P21s total auto wash and optimum power clean. Depending on how bad the wheels are you could you your car wash shampoo, but if it is rust and stuff Sonax full effect or P21s gel are great .
A good APC would be great for cleaning the wells, let it sit for a couple minutes but do not allow to dry, a short Bristle brush from lowes would help as well.

Don't forget those pictures:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SON1C
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
mothers wheel and tire cleaner

pho_shizzle
06-04-2012, 01:29 AM
205 and a microfiber works well.

Yup that too, but I didnt see him mention anything about polishing. So I thought Id recommend a chemical method.

pyles1735
06-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the replys! I worked 2 hours on the interior today and the owner stopped by for a look and was amazed on how much better it looked.

I wish I could of got my hands on it sooner since some of the vivyl has rubbed off and cracked. There is also something stuck in the cupholder that won't come out for anything even after it soaked in a soap dilution for an hour and me prying on it after.

The door jambs and other places inside the car have grime that will take a good hour to scrub out and probably still won't look great. It took me forever today getting old gum out of the tracks the car rolls on.

Like I said don't be too rough on the pics this will be my first major real detail and I know yall will be able to pick out a lot of flaws but that's how I plan on learning.

I will post pics tomorrow after everything is done.

BTW I just bought some mothers wheel and tire cleaner and will be glad to test it tomorrow. Thanks again for the feedback.

pyles1735
06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Well I ended up only having around 4 hours to work on the car. I'm having trouble getting pics up on here but I have them on my facebook. Check the pics here

http://www.facebook.com/jordan.pyles.31?ref=ts