PDA

View Full Version : Whitewall tip

Pages : [1] 2 3

scooterguitar
05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Those who have white walls, especially the fat ones like on my FLHRC, you knoww they can be a real pain to clean. Got a tip and thought I would share it here...The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, yes that simple household pad works wonders on cleaning the whitewalls.

ScottB
05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
There use to be a product on market from Westleys, Bleach White. It was by far the easiest to use. Do they still make white walls ?????????

BILL
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
There use to be a product on market from Westleys, Bleach White. It was by far the easiest to use. Do they still make white walls ?????????

Yes....on some motorcycles, and scooters....it was an option on my machine that i didn't get.....

joe.p
05-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah they do.I have them on my 95 Park Ave.

BILL
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
That must look real, cool.......... ESPECIALLY ON THAT CAR.......;)

scooterguitar
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM
The Westley's doesn't do nearly as well.
Seriously, these Magic Erasers are kinda little miracle workers for all kinds of odd jobs. Just saw they now have the same ones packaged different in the car care section at some retail stores.
If there's a weird stain, etc. try one, you might be nicely surpised.
For me, nothing looks cooler than wide ww on bikes, but I dig the old retro looks myself. Looking for bike products is how I stumbled upon this site and learned all this wonderful )painful) detailing info, now I'm screwed, I think some of my money for chrome will now be going for detailing supplies, argh!

BILL
05-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Oh! Oh! Your Auto Geek Possessed:applause:

scooterguitar
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, thanks for encouraging me ;>)

joe.p
05-15-2006, 08:35 PM
All the magic erasers i have used fell apart. Does this happen to you.

Bleach whites works great for me so does megs APC and diluted simple green.

Here is a side view of my white walls on my ancient park ave.lucky for me it is paid 4.

BritOn2wheels
05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the tip Scooter, I'll have to give it a try.
I've always used Bleach White with good results, but recognize that it's hard on the rubber and the clearcoated rims on my bike.

Did you use the Magic Eraser per the instructions with just water, or did you use any other product?

ScottB
05-15-2006, 08:53 PM
All the magic erasers i have used fell apart. Does this happen to you.

Bleach whites works great for me so does megs APC and diluted simple green.

Here is a side view of my white walls on my ancient park ave.lucky for me it is paid 4.

Joe,

You can always flip the tires inside out, if the black walls are what you crave. I know it shows my age, but thats what I was doing back in the late 80's on my first car. I was even known to use a big magnum permanent marker to black out the stripes prior to having the tires installed outside in. (that way you could not see the white stripes from under the car) :p

scooterguitar
05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I just use water. Only tried it once so far, so I am goign to experiment with a few cleaners to greaten the strength. Yes, easily go through one on tough dirt for both my wheels. But, they were VERY dirty before I did anything. I know they now have larger or stronger model out for about $1 more.

BILL
05-16-2006, 07:49 AM
A Body shop owner once told me that for the thin whitewalls they use a little lacquer thinner on a dry rag on 1 or 2 passes around the whitewall that really cleans then white.........

dennish
05-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Westley stuff dosn't work all that well. I going to try the Magic Earser trick, hopeful it will work without the mess of Westleys.

What do you mean do they make white walls -- white wall are timeless:)

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/white_wall.gif

FloridaNative
05-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Okay, I know this picture is supposed to highlight your whitewalls, but I can't stop looking at your paint! Man, what a gorgeous blue that is and the shine is awesome! You have one beautiful vette! As you well know. ;)

Westley stuff dosn't work all that well. I going to try the Magic Earser trick, hopeful it will work without the mess of Westleys.

What do you mean do they make white walls -- white wall are timeless:)

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/white_wall.gif